1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do You Need A New Smart Key (Fob Remote) Here is a cheap way

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Deoc, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Deoc

Deoc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So I bought a prius more than a year ago and it only came with just one smart key, after asking a few different toyota dealers they wanted $300-400 dollars for a new key, I just thought is not worth it, but knowing that if I lost the key I would have to pay a lot more to get the ecu reset, so I found a way to get one at cheaper price thanks to an old post in this forum, but there is no real explanation in how so here are the steps so in case you need a new key.

1-Buy a virgin smart key on ebay mine was $81.54 shipped (make sure is ready to be programmed)
    2-Buy a Mini VCI USB the one I bought was $14.79 (This will include techstream 10.30)
    3-After you get them you will need a windows 7 or xp laptop (if you only have windwos 8 or 10 you will need to download techstream 12+)
    4-Install techstream (note do not connect to internet or it will keep asking you to update the software)
    (It will tell you it needs and update or a network connection, just ignore it and it will let you use the software for about 30 times only, but enough to program the key)
    5-Go to the car and turn it on, connect the cable to the obd port and then connect it to the usb port in the laptop
    6-Click Connect to Vehicle and wait....
    7-It will show a bunch of yellow options, look for the one that says Smart Key
    8-Click on it and wait, then in the left side you will see UTILITY click there
    9-Look for Register Smart Key, it will show you the steps to register the new key
    (it will ask you to touch the power button with registered key within a few seconds, then get ready to take the key out of the car and get the key you want to register and touch the power button with the new key, then after is complete you can just exit the program.

Total Price $99.33
    (Dealer Wanted $378.00 Plus Tax)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks for the write up, and well done!(y)

3. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have a Bluetooth OBD interface, can I use that? And where do I download Techstream 12 for Win 10?

4. Deoc

Deoc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not sure if a Bluetooth OBD will work, because it needs a device that will work with techstream, you can try and see if works or not, the techstream can be downloaded from this link
    Free Download Toyota TIS Techstream 12.00.127 Crack 100% Working No Need Atcivation | OBDII365.com Official Blog
    I downloaded from there but never actually installed, because the 10.30 version worked just fine, but if you decide to download it make sure it has no viruses, and let us know if it works.

5. ZeckKoa

ZeckKoa New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Could you send me the link to the Ebay fob you bought? All the ones I find don't work with Prius Plug-ins, or say they don't.

6. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Did you also have the emergency key ground? I'm guessing any key maker can match this with the other original, right?

7. Deoc

Deoc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I actually never cut the new key, it just blank, no sure where that can be done but shouldnt be expensive, because I will only needed for an emergency i never bother to cut it.

8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm pretty sure that any place that cuts keys can do it. You'll get the best quality at a locksmith shop but it will cost a little more than a hardware store. The purpose of the key is to be able to use it in an emergency, not to wish you could use it. ;)

9. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried installing techstream bought from eBay with my previous Gen3 Prius, but I could never get my Mini VCI to connect to the car with my old Win 7 laptop to run the techstream. It maybe a driver issue, but I am now more worried about pirated copy of techstream and conterfait Mini VCI harming my new PRIME.

10. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably drivers. AFAIK, you need a 32-bit system to run the driver.

11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I pulled out old laptop running 32 bit Win7 to be used exclusively for this. Deleted all of network setting and any sensitive info I may reglet having disclosed. But still could not get it to run. That was when I was trying it on my old Gen3. Now I have PRIME, I am afraid to hook it up the pirated software with a conterfaited Mini VCI causing more harm than good. Using real Mongoose PRO cable @ $495 and authentic subscription of techstream is way too expensive.

#11 Salamander_King, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    jerrymildred likes this.
  12. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Is there a way to find someone legit in my general vicinity who has the gear and would be willing to do this for others?

13. Deoc

Deoc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The version I used was 10.30 techstream for windows 7, it would only allow me to use it for about 20 times before I need to update, no sure if that changed, the software was a free download, and worked the first time, if you guys need the file for techstream let me know or pictures of the cable I used

14. Deoc

Deoc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have the file that has techstream and a instruction video in how to install the software and make it work, if somebody needs the file let me know.

15. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you mean "legit" by using legit techstream and legit cable, then chances are you will only find legit business who is offering this type of services, such as Toyota dealers and reputable auto service place or locksmith equipped deal with smart keys. For PRIME fob, my dealer would charge ~$380 for this service, and also found a locksmith offering the same service for $280.

SlidingBike and PA Prius like this.
  16. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    By "legit" I mean something that is not a scam. I'd be happy to have this done by another PriusChat'er.

Salamander_King likes this.
  17. tchalko

tchalko Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know this is an old post, but if you still have the Techstream+instruction video, I’d like to have it please

I want to program an extra keyfob for our 2011 Prius for my husband before his birthday (I discovered that if you leave the keyfob in your pocket and it goes through the laundry, it doesn’t work anymore lol)….so we’ve been sharing a keyfob and it’s become a PITA to do that! I really want to surprise him with it and not pay the dealer $450 for it! Thanks!

18. tchalko

tchalko Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m thinking of getting this keyfob ($99.94)

and this mini VCI cable + Techstream ($46.87):

unless you recommend something better/cheaper?

19. Kromis

Kromis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So uhh...since this thread was bumped, I'll say I'm also in the market for another fob (or two) if there's another PriusChatter who can help out in SoCal.

20. tchalko

tchalko Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI - I’m going to start a new post in Gen 3 forum, since that’s the Gen I have, but it’s not a Plug-in.

Kromis likes this.