1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do You Regret Not Taking a Higher Option Pack?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tenor1, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Tenor1

Tenor1 New Member

At this time, the backup camera is the only extra I want. Do you regret not upgrading to a higher option package?

Thanks,
    Tenor1

2. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Our 2007 has everything. While our 2005 was "bare bones". I installed Sirius satellite radio myself. The full package is worth every penny.

3. MarkMN

MarkMN New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hmmm, I only got an option 2 (i think) which has backup camera and VSC. I was thinking about getting the upgraded stereo system and 6 change CD player, but I am glad that I decided to save my money. I am still happy getting just a package 2, as I haven't really felt the need to have the upgraded audio system. I also don't care any about navigation or bluetooth (I don't even have a cell phone) or leather (which I might still get aftermarket in a couple of years if the cloth wears). On the other hand I would be pissed at myself for not getting the backup camera. All in all, I think it is just that I don't miss what I don't have.

4. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The only option I would like that I don't have is Nav. The must haves for me were SKS and SCABs and I have them so I'm happy. I can always add a better after market nav for a lot less money in the future with the only downfall being that it's not viewed via the MFD. BFD ;)

5. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tenor1 @ Jul 12 2007, 01:41 PM) [snapback]477692[/snapback]</div>
    I consider the backup camera on the Prius a necessity due to the limited visibility out the back of the car. I originally was going to buy a Package #1 (the minimum package with the backup camera included) but those are not available in Northern California. I went with a Package #2 instead and I have no regrets. For me personally the higher packages didn't offer anything to justify the higher costs.

6. malibucarl

malibucarl Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moxiequz @ Jul 12 2007, 04:56 PM) [snapback]477712[/snapback]</div>

Same for us. We have 2 pkg #2 cars. They're great.
    From what I've read the nav is not as good as portable units.
    We have added the Toyota 6 disc, in dash, CD unit to both cars. About $650 with labor.
    Carl

7. wiiprii

wiiprii New Member

Nope, don't need any of the extras, the base model (no package) is fine with us. We would rather have the money in the bank than anything else.

Don't need a backup camera, I actually feel a lot safer using my eyes to look than to rely on a camera because I can scan the whole area not just behind the car.

8. priussoris

priussoris New Member

We have the pkg 1 and do not want anything else, we have XM radio but we had it in our other car also a Roady2 works just fine. The factory NAV does not do as good as the portable Garmin, which works great so does our Megellan. ( From what Iv'e heard)

So I would say no to all the options

I do like the backup camera and the floor mats, but I would have not even gotten the floor mats but was told they are included.

What ever you get you will like.
    They Prius is a fun car and it's sort of like playing a game every time you drive too. ( who can get the best mpg per tank or drive) my wife and I do that , Ok well maybe only I do that, she just drives it. and gets at least 52mpg

9. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No regrets, and reasonably happy with what I have. I wanted a base model but they didn't have it. In retrospect, the Smart Key System is great. The other option with my package was the Homelink/auto-dimming mirror. I could do without it. I think I'd prefer a conventional dimming mechanism on the mirror, and don't have a garage.

Probably the only other options I wouldn't mind paying for are VSC and side air bags. Never had a desire for any of the rest except satellite radio, which I added later myself.

10. kettledrum

kettledrum Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wish I had the homelink & Bluetooth, but I was trying to keep my costs down.

I also had to take what was available before the full tax credit expired at the end of 9/2006.

11. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malibucarl @ Jul 12 2007, 05:00 PM) [snapback]477716[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah... actually, if I could have, I would have gotten every option except the nav.

As it stands, I have a package 9 (or whatever it is these days), which is essentially loaded to the gills. But if I could have gotten all of the content minus the nav, I would have happily taken that (and invested in a superior and cheaper aftermarket unit).

12. priussoris

priussoris New Member

13. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was going for the base, but I wanted side-air bags so I had to choose package "B" (I'm in Canada). SKS, VSC, Homelink were things I didn't care about, but now that I have them, I can't imagine my Prius without them. VSC is definitely worth getting. It may save your bacon, and that alone makes it worth it. It's got me out of a few jams already :)

14. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I am completely satisfied with what I have.

I considered getting package 2, but went with package 4 because I wanted the HID headlights. My old car had terribly dull headlights and I wanted the added safety of being able to see better in areas with no streetlights.

I wasn't originally interested in the auto-dimming rearview mirror, but I actually like it quite a bit. I think it is actually better at reducing the glare of headlights behind me.

As for the other things in package 4, I could have lived with less of a stereo (my old car only had a tape deck) but am enjoying the 6-cd changer. Don't have a bluetooth phone but at some point I expect to get one, so that will be a toy for later.

Have no regrets about not getting leather seats. As for the nav system, I believe you should be able to get around your home area without needing one, so I only really would use it when going out of town. Someday maybe I will buy a garmin/tom tom/etc., or just get a cell phone with nav capabilities.

15. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I hate the fabric interior much more than I thought I would. I think the camera is useless with its fish eye inaccuracy. It is a nice gimmick to check for something behind the car that would be lower than the bumper. I check before I get in.

I like the bluetooth, but think the upgrade stereo is not worth the price toyoto puts on it.

I don't think I ever want another car without side airbags.

16. wiiprii

wiiprii New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Jul 12 2007, 02:38 PM) [snapback]477735[/snapback]</div>
    This is one nice thing about the 2007 model. Side air bags all the way to the backseat are standard. Amazing amount of standard equipment compared to the 2007 Camry LE. We'd have to get an XLE to match the base Prius std. equipment list. I feel like I wouldn't want to go without temp control on the steering wheel, radio/defrost control on the steering wheel, etc. Amazing car.

17. sb.rocks

sb.rocks New Member

I think my 2007 has option pkg 2. I have a backup camera, SKS, VSC and airbags. I don't stray far from home so I don't need the navigation, bluetooth would be cool but I decided long ago I'm not coordinated enough to talk on the phone and drive, even if it is hands-free.
    I'll probably add sirius later, and do it myself as the dealer wanted about $400 for the labor. After the car gets a couple of dings and scratches pulling off the dash wont seem so intimidating. Besides, I can get my husband and son to do it. :D

18. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If I were to do it again, I wouldn't get the JBL system, not even stock radio.
    I'd rather build my own audio/video system from scratch.
    I love the integrated handsfree Bluetooth. But you can get after-market solutions for that.
    I didn't get Nav and don't regret that decision one bit.
    SKS is a nice-to-have that can really spoil you. But if you don't have it you won't miss it, I guess.
    My wife insisted on leather if we were to get any extras at all. I must give her credit for that foresight. I probably would have regretted not getting it.

19. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

I went with pk # 4, included all but leather and nav. Nav was too much $$$ considering you can get a portable unit for 300 now.

The radio i think sounds pretty decent, i know some think it is sucky, but the blue tooth is pretty nice also. I think the camera now comes standard, at least on packages above # 4.

good luck.

I added a bunch of stuff to mine to make it nicer, and going to add lumbar this comming week. My only word of caution is that some find the seats severly uncomfortable on long road trips, myself included.

20. sassypamela

sassypamela New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tenor1 @ Jul 12 2007, 03:41 PM) [snapback]477692[/snapback]</div>
    I got every option possible, including the Touring Edition and would definitely have regrets if I hadn't.

For me it's a pain and seems "junky" to have a bunch of after market stuff like navigation and blue tooth and stereos that are not designed for that specific car. That's just my opinion of course.

Off the top of my head my pkg included bluetooth, navigation, the fancy headlights, all the airbags, leather, fancy stereo, back up camera and then the touring stuff (different wheels, suspension, spoiler).

If I left stuff out, I'm sure someone will correct me ;)