1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you shut the A/C when powering down the car?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Marvinh, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I wonder if its necessary to power down the A/C when powering down the Prius. With all my other cars I always shut the A/C off when shutting off the car so as NOT to start the car again with the A/C on. But that was because the A/C was belt driven.

With the Prius and the electric operated A/C is it still necessary? Does starting the Prius with the A/C on put any stress on the ICE or electric components of the A/C?

Thanks - Marvin

2. PriusTouring07

PriusTouring07 New Member

I've only been driving a Prius for a week, and no, I haven't found it necessary to shut off the A/C when shutting off the car. I do shut it off with my other cars.

3. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marvinh @ Jul 19 2007, 06:26 PM) [snapback]481942[/snapback]</div>
    My 04 with almost 60,000 miles has been driven with Auto/AC on for most of those miles. No Problems.

"With the Prius and the electric operated A/C is it still necessary? " No

"Does starting the Prius with the A/C on put any stress on the ICE or electric components of the A/C?" No

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is no reason to shut off the A/C, unless you don't want it on the next time you drive. Like most modern control systems, the Prius takes care of the details for you.

Tom

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One good reason to turn off the air before the car is to prevent mould in the ducts. Circulating some warmer air through the system to clear any condensation can alleviate some pretty nasty smells. It helps to run the air occasionally in the winter, too, to keep the seals lubricated.

6. scm2000

scm2000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jul 20 2007, 02:16 PM) [snapback]482349[/snapback]</div>
    The recent cars I have owned run the AC automatically in the winter when the defroster is on. I think the Prius also does this. So I would not think it is nescessary to take special effort to turn it on yourself in the winter.

7. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've always turned off most everything before turning off the car.
    That way, when I start it next time, I won't be hit by a blast of air, music, headlights, wipers, etc., and I can turn things on as I'm ready for them.

Dang, I feel old. I was thinking about where I got this habit, and it harkens back, yet again, to my years in the frozen tundra, where you reduced the load on your car as much as possible when starting it, because the extreme cold shortens battery life. Also, that first blast of air out of the heater will be FRIGID!
    Also, if there is nothing else running, you can actually hear if the car started (not an issue with the Prius, of course), and if it is running correctly (ditto), or if it sounds like it's chugging off-balance (not unusual in the frozen north, with ICEs) and will have to be turned off, and then started again.

I rather like starting my Prius up, hearing that friendly READY beep, and then the quiet. I turn on and then adjust the heat/AC as needed. Then I'll get the music going.

8. pviebey

pviebey New Member

Technologically, most times, my car is smarter than I am. If it needed to be turned off, I think the car's computer would do it prior to turning itself off... :)

So, I'd say you can if you want, but me personally, I don't bother. And here in sunny FL, the sooner I get the AC going, the happier I'm going to be....

Sure, if your battery is weak, turn EVERYTHING off (including lights, overhead light from the door, etc) to minimize load. If you want to 'reset' it between uses, well, you can do that to...

I'm just too lazy.

pat