1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you still remember your first time (ALL bars on battery)?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Skoorbmax, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will never forget it. It was yesterday morning. I had 6k on the car. My wife expressed doubt that it was even possible to get all bars on the battery but I always held out hope. And then it happened before sunrise at the start of our trip on a terribly long (2 miles?) downhill near the finger lakes. That charge bar was full for an unreal length of time and we hit all bars! And it happened two more times later in the day.

Now, those of you in mountainous regions cannot know my joy (I bet you bar-out frequently), but perhaps those of you in Arizona can:)

My only remaining question is what happens when the battery is actually full; surely at some point with all bars in the battery and the charge bar maxed the battery itself will top out. What happens? Do I go forward in time and ride hover-boards?

2. TheSpoils

TheSpoils Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you see a light, similar to a plasma discharge, stay away, it will disrupt the space / time continuum and you may need another flux capacitor to get back.

3. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it gets over filled (above 80%) then MG1 will spin the ICE to waste some electricity, and bring it back under 80%.

4. Carnutt

Carnutt Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, it was the summertime, there was the smell of freshly cut grass and blossoms, and I was young and naive but impetuous. She, was innocent and beautiful with an almost new smell..............

1 person likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Charging is exothermic, it generates heat. The traction battery modules will be at a relatively high temperature which also puts their internal pressures at a local peak. Then as the excess charge is removed, ohmic heating counters the endothermic cooling of discharge. This is a protocol for stress testing the traction battery. However, the improved module design is more resistant to heating effects.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  6. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Almost every day. But I have to ascend a 800 ft elevation to get home, and descend it to get to town...
    Still, it's nice to have a full bank. What's really cool is the long, slightly downhill straight that goes for four miles at the base of the mountain. With a full batt bank, I often set the cruise at 55 or so and get 100 mpg indicated, as the charge slowly is removed.

7. marduk

marduk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yep. It happened yesterday on the way down a lengthy gentle grade on the freeway. I did always wondered if it is possible with my normal commute to get full bars for the SOC. I have about 370 miles on the car so far.

8. MariaEvri

MariaEvri Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ive had it happen more than afew times (coming back from trips on the mountains). Unfortunately cant remember my furst time.
    I very often am alost full (battery green, all full except one bar, from my trips on the highway

9. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Never had it happened in almost 8 months of ownership. The most is 7 bars.

10. Friedpez

Friedpez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I get it almost every day, but that's because my commute involves a 2,120-foot elevation change. It's almost all downhill to work but coming home I never get it.