1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you think a 7 seater will make it to the US this cycle?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Lee Jay, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The v is just about totally uninteresting to me since what I need over my liftback is more seats, not more cargo room. Have there been any rumblings of the 7 seat version making it to the US during the upcoming update?

2. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Called Toyota, they had no plans on doing so (at least Gen III style). Here's hoping to Gen IV. Imagine Prius v getting current day Prius mileage because Gen IV engine but with 7 seats :p We can wish right?

RCO likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The 7 seater has LiIon batteries, so unless Toyota can get out of the 10 year/150,000 mile warranty in CARB states, I doubt it comes here. (The idea of perpetually having two children that fit in those tiny seats scares me)

RCO likes this.
  4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Heh! Essentially everyone in my family is under 5'2" except me and I'm only 5'6".

RCO likes this.
  5. Priifan

Priifan Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Toyota is missing a huge market in the US because the Sienna van is too large for many small families while the V is too small. We would buy an enlarged V with a third row.....and add it to our 2012, 2013 V and 2017. We badly need a larger car with great mileage. Toyota has so many more Prius options in Japan....sad.

RCO likes this.
  6. Sooner Al

Sooner Al Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Here is a recent thread on this very subject...

Will we ever get 7-seater in US? | PriusChat

RCO likes this.
  7. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've replied to myself. We preordered a Pacifica Hybrid which has the efficiency (or higher) of the new HiHy but yet can plugin for 30+ miles EV (33 EV EPA).

A plugin van makes sense. For short trips we tote the kids around town, events, etc...usually within 30 miles radius.
    For long trips...family fun, we can still do them!

RCO likes this.
  8. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks very nice to me. Hope it surpasses your expectations.

9. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Have you checked out the Pacifica? I compared the top trims to the Sienna and Odyssey and Pacifica is pretty darn awesome with all the features and placement of things.

IE, stow & go (gone from Hybrid though) - but also the panoramic sunroof which extends to the back of the car. In the top trim of the Sienna it has a small moon roof with a superwide dropdown screen for movies...Looks clunky on the inside.

The only part I will have trouble with is...It's FCA. If this was a Toyota Pacifica I would be less worried. But then again I've heard of the bouts of Sienna's having trouble and such. With MiniVans I think the segment is just abused by everyone who rides in it, so that's the ultimate stress test.

10. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was in the market for a small 3rd row vehicle from 2012. My choices were a Kia Rondo, Mazda 5, and a Model S. Two of those cars are no longer on sale. The C-Max 7 seater was canceled. Today, we have a Nissan Rogue, a Mitsubishi Outlander, and a Model S.

I don't understand the disdain for small 3rd row vehicles. I fit in the Mazda 5 3rd row just fine. I'm only 5'7". If you're 6'+, go sit in the other 5 seats? What are the chances all 7 people are tall and large? Besides, the majority of the time, for these vehicles, it's just going to be the driver.

All the vehicles I've listed do not sell in any meaningful quantities configured with a 3rd row. The market has spoken. I just purchased a Mitsubishi Outlander. I waited as long as I could for the PHEV version but it still hasn't come out in the US. I'm not going to pay extra for the top trim on a Rogue to get 3rd row and I can't afford a Tesla. I'm not bullish that my options will get any better in the short term with low gas prices.

Oh and I'm averaging 30 mpg on this Outlander 4 cylinder that all reviewers say is too slow.

RCO likes this.
  11. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's excellent fuel economy for a non-hybrid! Even in the winter and around town?

You probably mean the Tesla Model X not S, otherwise you'd have 2 more people sitting backwards in the trunk area. I didn't realize the Outlander was a 7 seater. I was interested in the PHV at one point but only saw that it had 5 seats...and couldn't wait.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you thinking about Prius v?

13. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    A 7-seat version of the V was released in Europe and Japan as the Prius +, I think.

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ok. Yeah, I'm just wondering: should this be in Prius v forum? You can report it, ask to move.

15. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I checked on the Chrysler website and it certainly looks impressive. Of course, being in UK in unlikely to see one on the road.

16. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did a four hour test drive on the Outlander PHEV in UK. Overall, I was pleased em with it but motoring press were too critical of a few aesthetic flaws. Other than that, it was highly regarded, as justified by owner reviews. Some will exist on Utube even now, is have thought.

mmmodem likes this.
  17. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's maybe 80% highway. I've only filled up the tank once. It's been raining a lot lately. Actually I just realized this is from the computer, I haven't had a full tank to myself to do the actual calculation from the pump. It's a fuel sipping CVT transmission. It's another note of contention I have with car enthusiast reviews. I absolutely love CVT transmissions. It gives me exactly the amount of power I need when I need it. There is hesitation for the gears to change and there are no sudden lurches of power going uphill. And I get superior fuel economy to boot! All for a little bit of droning noise from a 4 cylinder engine? Has no one driven a 4 cylinder vehicle regardless of transmission up a steep mountain road and have to shift to third gear to maintain speed? I have. The worst was when I was Approaching red line in my Integra at 3rd gear with the engine screaming and must shift to 4th. As soon as I do I lose speed and a few seconds later have to go back to third. Give me droning noise any day.

All Outlanders 2014 and newer come standard with 7 seats. My wife found it when she came to the sad realization we were about to buy a minivan (Pacifica PHEV). She really didn't want the soccer mom stigma and thus did a lot of homework. :ROFLMAO:

I was listing small vehicles with 3 rows. I wouldn't consider the Model X to be small. The Model S isn't small either but ehh, it's a car. I've been scouring used ads for a Model S with jump seats and it's not a common option. And that's the point, the US doesn't want small third row seats. I'm still waiting for that 2012 Model S85 with jump seats for $30k. And yes, I do realize that by the time I get it my daughters will no longer fit in those seats.

18. Sooner Al

Sooner Al Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    @Mendel Leisk I apologize for that. It was wrong of me to say that.

#18 Sooner Al, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They will say the Hybrid RAV4 fits that segment.

RCO likes this.
  20. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What about the Highlander - you get that as a Hybrid in USA, didn't I read?