1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you think HOV stickers will be available when 2015 PIP comes out?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ldlau, Jul 1, 2014.

1. ldlau

ldlau Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I keep going back and forth about getting a 2014 PIP Prius, with all the rebates and incentives, but I really don't like that middle console. I feel like I am sitting in an airplane cockpit or am trapped in the car. I really would like to get a PIP with the HOV sticker, since I commute over 60miles rt a day. Do you think there will be any stickers when the 2015 is released this year? Am hoping they will get rid of that console and go back to the one like I have in my 2007. Is it worth the risk to wait? I can also keep my car, it has 140K, but hasn't had any problems. I love my car and am not sure I want car payments again, but the HOV would help my commute. What do you think?

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're following the active Hybrid News posts, we just learned the next PiP version is due approx. end 2016 or early 2017. Right now the green stickers are projected to last thru 2014 maybe early 2015. After that AB2013 may give more, but there is some question how that legislation will go.

3. ldlau

ldlau Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the updated. Didn't hear about the news today. So now the new question is shall I hold out for the next generation?

4. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :confused:Inquiring minds really want to know. That's much later than I would have thought. With emerging EV technology, is Toyota waiting for other manufacturers to show their hand prior to commiting to a new PIP model? If the 2016-2017 timeline is correct, a new model PIP with only a marginal increase in EV range "ain't" going to hack it.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like a curious mind. But our motto here: clean mind, clean body, take your pick (old Limeliters joke)
    Gen 4 Prius Delayed Until Late 2015 | Plug-in Late 2016 | PriusChat

Well you have approx. 6 to 9 months to decide if the HOV green sticker is important to you, if so then you should buy a PiP. Also you should follow the posts here for the next green sticker crisis when they start running out again. If you wait a 6 months or so, there is a possibility we will learn California's longer term plans on HOV access and vehicle qulaifications. Also we might learn more about what the what the new Prius and PiP will look like. If the HOV is not important to you, you can jump into a nextgen Prius (non-Plug-in) by late 2015.

Me, I just changed my spark plugs at 135k miles...and I don't want to see if I can get them back out. So I got about 10-yrs til the next set of plugs. I hate wasting perfectly good Iridium.

#5 wjtracy, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    elementnomore likes this.
  6. bilofsky

bilofsky Privolting Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    AB2013, increasing the sticker limit to 70,000, cleared the last Senate committee yesterday. The only likely question is whether Governor Brown will sign it. If he does, there should be stickers available in late 2015, possibly into 2016, unless plug-in sales accelerate significantly.

SAronian likes this.