1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you think PC FHOP has become too Angry?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Apr 20, 2007.

?
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I think it has.

:huh:

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I would say certain individuals have, but not the group as a whole.

3. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It is easy to get angry at someone.. but I think of it like this, if your puppy does something wrong you can get angry - or you can just realize that the puppy is pretty dumb and doesn't know any better.

4. SAPrius

SAPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, I do. It's one of the reasons I don't visit PriusChat as much any more.

5. AuntBee

AuntBee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't see it as anger at each other so much as it is just discussion of anger-oriented subjects. And that's natural because it's all around us and all over the newspapers and on t.v. I hate that these things are happening, but it makes all the more sensitive to and thankful for the positive stories like the frontpage story in the CITY Paper about Al Roker donating a truckload of musical instruments to the W.O. Smith School of Music which offers low income kids music lessons for 50 cents. Or the story on tonight's 10 oclock news about the Oklahoma video producer who spends his weekends making hot dog sack lunches for the homeless and has succeeding in helping 30 of them get off the streets. Those are the folks who need the spotlight, not gun-toting madmen.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agree, it's not so much angry as it is blind hostility. Once we've labeled one another as "liberal" or "neocon" the cognitive process in responding to the posts goes to crap.

Several posters seem to see things as simple black/white issues. "our side" and "your side" with no gray area between. There's no reasoning, no open discussion, just outright throwing around the dogma of one's particular 'side' on the subject.

Obviously the true lies b/w the extremes...or we wouldn't have the extremes. I try to see both sides of an issue, explain how I arrived at my personal viewpoint...hoping that by seeing the process will help show that I'm not just swallowing whatever kool-aid the DNC wants me to swallow. But I don't think some of our more vocal folks here take the same tack...they regurgitate the same views and opionion, throw out the attack at various individuals on the opposite side of the aisle usually by insulting their name or whatever and count that as 'evidence' to support their view.

IMO it's that kind of thing that brings the entire level of the excellent topics that come up to a very low and frustrating level.

7. Dan-Wolfe

Dan-Wolfe Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Funny this topic should come up.

I was just thinking about writing an article about critical thinking versus ad hominem attacks and other irrational thinking in FHOP. Yes, the subjects are those who lend themselves to passionate debate, and I am all for passionate discourse. (Might even make a living out of passionate discourse one day!) It's one thing to vehemently disagree with someone based on "My dad can beat up your dad" kind of logic in which young children engage. It's quite another to use facts and draw reasonable conclusions -- right or wrong -- while presenting your arguments to influence rather than inflame.

FHOP is sometimes fun, other times poignant. But most often, it's entertainment value is overshadowed by the sheer nastiness of the authors against each other not against the validity of their ideas or conclusions. I find myself avoiding FHOP some days when I just want the "noise" to go away. Because most of it is just that -- noise with no purpose.

Doesn't mean I don't read it at all. Just means I have to be in the right mood!

Dan

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Those of us who joined PC in the early days will remember that FHOP was formed in order to segregate these kinds of discussions into a forum where people who just wanted to talk about the Prius could ignore the political, social, and religious topics. I don't remember if the off-topic discussions were angrier or less angry or about the same back in those days. But I think FHOP serves its purpose well.

I think the poll topic is poorly worded. Has FHOP become too angry? That way the question stresses whether it has changed for the worse. Is FHOP too angry? That way it asks for a personal opinion on how much anger is acceptable.

My view: We discuss a lot of topics that become very angry regardless of the venue. Religion, politics, abortion, gun control, etc. But we also discuss a lot of other stuff as well. I think FHOP is a microcosm of our nation. Yes, our nation (and FHOP with it) is too angry. But this is not specific to FHOP, and I don't think FHOP has changed all that much, except that perhaps as the Prius becomes more mainstream we have (perhaps???) more conservatives than we did in the early days when (mostly) only tree-huggers were buying the car. More diversity of Prius owners means more diversity of opinions on PC, and more opportunity for conflict.

9. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know about anyone else, but I think the anger in this particular forum is just the way the game is played nowadays (I only know of one political forum of the dozens I've seen where name calling isn't Standard Operating Procedure, and that's through diligent use of warnings and bannings).

On the other hand, I think it's also just an act. Desynch and I could call each other every name under the sun, but if I were to meet him in real life, I'd buy him a beer.

I wouldn't buy "Dr. Berman" a beer, though, but only because of the drinking age law.

10. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've been hanging out here in Fred's since Sep 05 and haven't seen any increase in antagonism - in fact, I'd say the opposite: one or two posters whose posts used to vary only in the amount of gunpowder packed into their grenades have changed remarkably in tone and their posts are now models of rational, still passionate discourse, but without accompanying artillery. I now look forward to reading one particular poster's posts, for example, whereas earlier I used to just cringe at them. Our ideas are still mostly 180 degrees apart, but gone completely is the disagreeableness (I even told him that in a PM).

Yes, there are new posters whose principal conversational tool is the rhetorical equivalent of a 9mm in both hands, but if they hang around Fred's long enough they'll simmer down. Some of them, anyway.

Welcome back, Squid.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

11. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    All this anger is really starting to piss me off!

I was really tempted to vote "other" but I didn't.

12. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I think it's a function of EGO.

For most of us, FHOP is just waaaay to small for our respective EGO's!

Right Doc??? :lol:

j/k

13. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 21 2007, 05:06 AM) [snapback]427250[/snapback]</div>
    Just to be fair, shouldn't that be

"liberal" / "conservative"

or maybe

"bleeding-heart liberal" / "neocon"??? ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 21 2007, 10:18 AM) [snapback]427334[/snapback]</div>
    So, it's not an opportunity for learning and understanding? :huh:

Hey, after all, isn't it the conservative who crossed ideological lines by purchasing a "tree-hugger" car, and is daring enough to dip their toes into the FHOP pool - only to be met with a coordinated attack of ultra-liberal sharks smelling conservative blood?

I can't tell you the number of times total strangers in real world situations have misidentified me as a liberal just because of the car I drive. A non-hostile conservative response on my part is often met with a shocked expression or outright indignation.

My favorite: Having driven to my voting polling place and waking in, I am joined by a lady who says, "are you ready to go vote the bums out?"
    My response? "Yeah, the (California) state legislature and teacher's unions are out of control."
    She then gave me a snotty look and huffed off. :mellow:

I would never assume it's OK to say to an SUV driver, "hey, let's go vote them bleeding-heart libs out of office."

Why do liberals think all their positions are shared by everyone they meet?

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Apr 21 2007, 02:22 PM) [snapback]427360[/snapback]</div>
    Speeking of anger, I found this on another site and it seemed appropo. What do you think?

[attachmentid=7582]

Attached Files:

15. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Apr 21 2007, 12:27 PM) [snapback]427338[/snapback]</div>
    Stev0, I'd buy you a beer too!

16. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I usually don't read any of the topics in the FHOP forum. To much of it is hate speech posing as political opinion. I think a lot of that sort of thing is bleeding over into the other forums as well, which is why I don't visit this site nearly as much as I once did.

I visited one of the Corvette sites a few times, even though I don't own a Corvette. It was a welcome change to see that people could actually have an intelligent discussion about their cars without some snide political remark being injected.

17. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 21 2007, 10:18 AM) [snapback]427334[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Apr 21 2007, 01:34 PM) [snapback]427402[/snapback]</div>
    The thread topic is anger. I was addressing the topic.

18. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 21 2007, 04:19 PM) [snapback]427465[/snapback]</div>
    No. The thread topic is the level of civility in FHOP, " . . . too angry . . .".

The fact that most here have focused in on only the anger aspect doesn't surprise me. :rolleyes:

19. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Apr 21 2007, 04:34 PM) [snapback]427402[/snapback]</div>
    Nope. IMHO--I admire conservatives--true conservatives. On this forum and in real life, if someone identifies themself as a true conservative, they are not supporters of the current regime, and therefore I dig 'em. I don't like big government, and believe in conserving resources and limiting spending, too.

Neocon? Supports this administration and couldn't care less about conserving anything.

And on this forum, both "neocon" and "liberal" are used by each of the opposing factions to describe the other. "Bleeding heart" is just not necessary, as the neocon thinks that anyone that doesn't agree with them is a liberal, and that includes the centrists.

Again, my opinion.

20. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Apr 21 2007, 08:12 PM) [snapback]427490[/snapback]</div>
    Daniel had it right; the thread topic is "Do you think PC FHOP has become too Angry?".

Many of the topics are not simply "yes/no" or "right/wrong", but there are some posters who try to turn them into this simplistic viewpoint. There are others who attempt to turn almost every topic towards their own personal pet peeve/soapbox, and that can get annoying.

But then again, many of these topics by their very nature engender passionate responses; however, I have seen several interesting points of view (that I might not have otherwise considered) get diluted or destroyed by the name-calling that is unfortunately so much a part of FHOP...and that's a pity.