1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you think this ten-year plan is doable?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Godiva, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Would you agree with any of the following statements:

We're borrowing money from China to buy oil from the Persian Gulf to burn it in ways that destroy the planet. Every bit of that's got to change.

Our dangerous over-reliance on carbon-based fuels is at the core of all three of our challenges -- the economic, environmental and national security crises.

We can produce 100 percent of our electricity from renewable energy and truly clean carbon-free sources within 10 years.

Silicon needed for solar panels once fetched $300 per kilogram, but now only costs $50.

The nation's power grid is not sufficiently strong to deliver renewable energy to all parts of the country, but it has to be upgraded anyway.

We need something like past government efforts such as the Marshall Plan and President Kennedy's call to reach the moon.

It's a strategy that will create millions of new jobs that pay well and cannot be outsourced, and one that will leave our children a world that is cleaner and safer.

2. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If we could defeat the germans, japanese, build a nuke from scratch in 4 years during world war II, and recover from a depression then we have the potential to do this. Unfortunately we're not in a war mobilization mode and most americans aren't going to volunteer for "unnecessary" pain. So we'll just be status quo when until we "have" to, which of course will be too late.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Do you think we're more likely to initiate a plan like this is gas goes to say....$6.00 a gallon?

We're going to hit and stay at $5.00 a gallon sooner than I predicted. And between gas and floods, food is going to stay expensive too.

Do we have the capability of thinking, planning and acting long range anymore?

4. thepolarcrew

thepolarcrew Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I agree Godiva.

You too burritos, and I really get a kick out of your last line.

The Rep's lost their chance when they they didn't focus on Afghanistan.

Hate to say it, but it's probably going to take some-thing catastrophic in nature before we can get the momentum back and go in an other direction. Hope we don't have a rookie in there when it hits the fan! The econ doesn't seem to be doing much either, both sides of the isle have there paws in it, The Dems and Countrywide and Reps with outsourcing the tanker fleet.

5. thepolarcrew

thepolarcrew Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    WE need to really to unite.

I got $4 gas right, ($3.79 by the 4th) I would like to disagree with $5 but I can't. Same with food.

Wife commented today about chosing between our place looking nice and green or garden space!

Have a large area but wouldn't be organic due to overspay from the fields, the rest is sheltered in the trees.

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The overspray would be a lot less than if you were spraying yourself.

People are already eyeing those lawns and calculating how many vegetables they could grow there. I think that's an indication of a changing of mindsets. Public transportation is up too. It will be easier to lead people to support a long range plan when they are already thinking of smaller things they can do personally. Those that don't have the means to do much will feel they are still supporting a large plan of moving us forward.

I'm taking a bucket of tomatoes to my parents today and trading for cucumbers and fruit.

But to really do something we need a much grander scale and longer term plan. Something along the lines of FDR's New Deal. Retool factories. Retrain workers, etc. I think getting electrical generation off of fossil fuels would be a big part of that.

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Does the ten year plan start now or on Jan 20, 2009? Cause the guy with the bone in his nose thinks the solution is to drill for oil offshore. I heard him say it just two days ago.

I think with the right leadership we might accomplish most of the list in 10 years. With the wrong leadership, its going to be business as usual.

8. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

It's totally doable. I did it myself over just the past few months, all except for natural gas, the last thing to phase out.

But it won't happen. Even if we get the right leadership, OPEC will see the threat and lower gas prices, and the stupid public will go on another oil binge and whine at their tax money being spent on renewables what with gas being so cheap, and then the stupid Dems will cave and back off. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but I've been right about this kind of thing before. :(

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, except maybe the timetable. Americans are like mules: we need to be hit in the head with a 2x4 multiple times to get our attention, and so far most people have only felt one hit.

“But even those who reap the profits of the carbon age have to recognize the inevitability of its demise. As one OPEC oil minister observed, ‘The Stone Age didn’t end because of a shortage of stones.’ ” Now the question is, do we have the stones to end the carbon age before it ends us?

10. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I retrofitted our tract home 18 years ago so the Energy Efficiency Index is ≤ 1.0. This makes our monthly utility bill less than $30 month year round (no PV panels). Time to "break even" on added features, compared to nearby homes - 2.5 years (16 years ago). How? R-100 ceiling, two Sunpipes, R-45 walls, triple pane windows, ceramic tile floors, fully insulated garage, double dual pane sliding glass doors (2 sets), quadruple wrapped water heaters (2). We have a very large organic garden that we harvest from 10 months each year. My second vehicle (that fits in the back of the Prius) is a bicycle for one-half of my daily commute (total 30 mi, bicycle for final leg). When you double your efficiency you cut your cost by one-half (or double your profit).

We need robust investment in bicycle & walking paths, electric light & high speed rail, and strong conservation standards for homes, churches, businesses & schools. This is what Germany has done. There are no excuses for the US not to move aggressively forward. We are in Peak Everything (oil, water, food, space, . . . ) and need to think and act long term.

11. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    +1. Germany as well as other Scandinavian and European countries are years ahead of us in thinking of the Big Picture.

One question about your mods... the $30/month, does that include electricity for lights? You also mentioned 'double dual pane sliding glass doors (2 sets)'.. does that mean two doors that are dual pane? or two doors, each with double dual panes? Thanks!

12. rpatterman

rpatterman Thinking Progressive

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Headline:

"OBAMA WILL LOSE IF HE DOES NOT LISTEN TO GODIVA"

Few American voters understand the connection between our "addiction to fossil fuels" and many of our problems: 1)economic 2) enviromental and 3)national security.

This election cycle is the perfect opportunity to educate voters about this connection, but so far I have not seen this happening. Most Americans want to hear the easy solution (let's drill our way out of this hole") and do not want to make any lifestyle sacrifices. Little do people realize that the longer we deny the "new energy reality", the worse the sacrifices will be.

History will view bush's biggest failure as not channeling all our patriotic emotions on 9/11 into fighting the only "war on terror" that could work: cutting our dependence on Middle East oil. Instead we were told to "go shop". What if we had spent all the money totally wasted in Iraq on a "10 Year Energy Freedom Plan". Where would we be today?

Five dollar gas during a national election gives us another oppurtunity to sign up for a national effort to free OUR country from the Saudiis and bush's oil buddies. Do we sign up for change or stick to the status quo?

13. HomeandRanch

HomeandRanch New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Skruse thats awesome. How did you retrofit the walls to r45?

The rest of the thread. Who is supposed to pay for all of this? Our fiat currency is on the verge of collapse it is not like we will be able to borrow anymore money.

14. randyb359

randyb359 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I predict gas at $3 per gallon by election day. Gas tends to fall in price around election time(oil companies buying votes?) also the Arabs know that if they leave oil priced to high for too long someone will come up with something else. They can't afford that. Oil gives them power and makes them rich. If someone comes up with a replacement they are screwed since they can't eat their oil and it is hard to grow food in sand

15. Abu Garcia

Abu Garcia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree to a certain point. But, I say drill the crap out of everything while working diligently on alternatives. Also, I would not sit around and wait for something to happen. I say drill, make personal sacrifces, and the govt should lock a task force/scientists into a small room and tell them thay can't leave until they have some ideas that can be acted upon. Also, limit money to things the govt likes (such as NASA, etc) until the more serious issue is resolved.

16. rpatterman

rpatterman Thinking Progressive

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There WILL be compromise: I have seen no evidence that we can drill our way out of this. But to make it politically possible, the "Ten Year Energy Freedom Plan" should give offshore drilling control to the states, even though it is federal waters. Florida and California will never allow more drilling and who really cares about Texas and Louisana? Add sufficent controls and only allow leases to go to companies that are not already sitting on unused leases. Now the "drill, drill, drill crowd" is happy (even though it will not do any good) and we can get on with the real "Ten Year Energy Freedom Plan".

HomeandRanch asked who was going to pay for the conversion to a new energy reality. We all already are, did you notice the price of gas? It will ultimately be much cheaper and less painful to be proactive. The status quo will be ugly when gas hits $10/gallon and we have not made any changes.

Anyone who thinks we are ever going to return to $2 gas is blind to reality.

17. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    OPEC will have to raise production to significantly do that and I don't see that they are able to do so. If the price drops then demand will remain strong in India and China (who currently subsidize the price of fuel so that their citizens can afford the stuff). OPEC can increase the price of oil, but I don't know what they can do to reduce it.

18. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The $30 month is everything - electricity (lights, dishwasher, clothes washer) and natural gas. Our bill went up a bit this month, not for air conditioning, but electricity for the 9-tray food dehydrator with a heating element and fan.

We have 11 windows - these are all triple pane, and two sliding glass doors. Each set of sliding glass doors is dual pane, then a large air space, then another set of dual pane sliding glass doors. The front porch is an air lock complete with a ceramic tile flood and R-100 ceiling. I have caulked every crack I could find. Two sunpipes provide 1500 watts of diffuse light at solar noon (fully insulated, do not gain or lose heat). We have Warm Window roman shades on select windows (5-layer insulated curtains). The house also stays cleaner with fewer insects, dust, etc. Added bonus: the house is very quiet.

The R-45 walls: added 2x4 studs to inside of wall. Insulated with rigid foil-faced polystyrene foam. Finished with sheetrock. So walls are "thick" and cool to the touch.

Who is going to pay for all this? You pay yourself. You can put your money in the wall (or window) one time, or you can throw it out the window every month.

19. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Skruse, did you do the work yourself? Did you modify the existing walls or essentially add a thinner, better insulated wall behind the existing one? Ditto the ceiling or did you cram the attic full of insulation? Were the original walls R-11 stick and bat construction?

20. kazots

kazots LifesaBeach

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You will see movement to a petrol free economy, because you finally hit where it hurts!
    The "wallet" it seems that is the only way it gets attention.