1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you trust electronic voting machines?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jared2, May 12, 2006.

1. jared2

jared2 New Member

New Fears of Security Risks in Electronic Voting Systems

[​IMG]
    By MONICA DAVEY
    Published: May 12, 2006

CHICAGO, May 11 — With primary election dates fast approaching in many states, officials in Pennsylvania and California issued urgent directives in recent days about a potential security risk in their Diebold Election Systems touch-screen voting machines, while other states with similar equipment hurried to assess the seriousness of the problem.

"It's the most severe security flaw ever discovered in a voting system," said Michael I. Shamos, a professor of computer science at Carnegie Mellon University who is an examiner of electronic voting systems for Pennsylvania, where the primary is to take place on Tuesday.

Officials from Diebold and from elections' offices in numerous states minimized the significance of the risk and emphasized that there were no signs that any touch-screen machines had been tampered with. But computer scientists said the problem might allow someone to tamper with a machine's software, some saying they preferred not to discuss the flaw at all for fear of offering a roadmap to a hacker.

"This is the barn door being wide open, while people were arguing over the lock on the front door," said Douglas W. Jones, a professor of computer science at the University of Iowa, a state where the primary is June 6.

The latest concern about the touch-screen machines was only the newest chapter in an emerging political and legal fight around the country over voting machines. While some voting officials defend the ease of touch-screens (similar to A.T.M.'s), some advocacy groups argue that optical scan machines, using paper ballots, are far more secure.

The wave of high-tech voting machines was prompted by the 2000 election in Florida, which spotlighted the problems of old-fashioned punch card ballots. But the machines that soon followed have spurred division. Here in Chicago, where voters used both touch-screen and optical-scan systems in a March primary, it took officials a week to tally all the votes because of technical problems and human errors, touching off a flurry of criticism over the Sequoia Voting Systems equipment.

In Maryland this spring, the State House of Delegates passed a bill that would have scrapped touch-screen machines, but the Senate last month took no action on the bill, effectively killing the idea.

This week, Voter Action, a nonprofit group, assisted voters in Arizona in filing for a legal injunction to try to block the state from buying touch-screen electronic voting systems. The suit is among several the group says it has pursued, in states including California, New York and New Mexico.

The new concerns about Diebold's equipment were discovered by Harri Hursti, a Finnish computer expert who was working at the request of Black Box Voting Inc., a nonprofit group that has been critical of electronic voting in the past. The group issued a report on the findings on Thursday.

Computer scientists who have studied the vulnerability say the flaw might allow someone with brief access to a voting machine and with knowledge of computer code to tamper with the machine's software, and even, potentially, to spread malicious code to other parts of the voting system.

As word of Mr. Hursti's findings spread, Diebold issued a warning to recipients of thousands of its machines, saying that it had found a "theoretical security vulnerability" that "could potentially allow unauthorized software to be loaded onto the system."

The company's letter went on: "The probability for exploiting this vulnerability to install unauthorized software that could affect an election is considered low."

David Bear, a spokesman for Diebold Election Systems, said the potential risk existed because the company's technicians had intentionally built the machines in such a way that election officials would be able to update their systems in years ahead.

"For there to be a problem here, you're basically assuming a premise where you have some evil and nefarious election officials who would sneak in and introduce a piece of software," he said. "I don't believe these evil elections people exist."

Still, he said, the company will in the coming months solve the vulnerability, but not before most primary elections occur.

In places where the machines are used, most election officials said they were not worried.

"We're prepared for those types of problems," said Deborah Hench, the registrar of voters in San Joaquin County, Calif. "There are always activists that are anti-electronic voting, and they're constantly trying to put pressure on us to change our system."

Aviel Rubin, a professor of computer science at Johns Hopkins University, did the first in-depth analysis of the security flaws in the source code for Diebold touch-screen machines in 2003. After studying the latest problem, he said: "I almost had a heart attack. The implications of this are pretty astounding."

Gretchen Ruethling contributed reporting from Chicago for this article, and John Schwartz from New York.

2. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    DUH!

Who has that signature about if voting changed anything it would be illegal........

Some countries take voting more seriously than we do but many are just beyond disillusionment with the depth of corruption within their governments. I know I am.

3. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ May 12 2006, 11:58 AM) [snapback]254096[/snapback]</div>
    I'll drink to that!

4. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 12 2006, 12:00 PM) [snapback]254099[/snapback]</div>
    BTW- what wine is that in your avatar, Salsawonder?

5. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Electronic voting could be a great thing, provided that paper receipts are generated, reviewed and approved by the voter and submitted to the election officials.
    Tampering would be easily detected by regularly performing manual counts at a small percentage of voting sites.

Without man-readable, voter reviewed paper, you're just inviting fraud.

6. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kiloran @ May 12 2006, 12:06 PM) [snapback]254109[/snapback]</div>
    My understanding is that there is no paper trail for these machines.

7. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 12 2006, 12:09 PM) [snapback]254111[/snapback]</div>
    It's being debated.
    The forces of corruption are trying to quash it.
    Ask any good IT guy (like me) how many ways it could get screwed up if you don't have a paper trail.

8. Jeff Beaver

Jeff Beaver Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 12 2006, 09:09 AM) [snapback]254111[/snapback]</div>
    The county I live in requires the voter to complete a paper ballot which is fed into a scanner and drops into a locked election box. If there is something wrong with the ballot, like two votes for the same office, the ballot gets kicked back out and the voter fixes it. Seems like the perfect system to me.

Now if voters were only required to produce a photo ID ...... :angry:

9. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Hey Jared,

You do know I've been planted on this board by the Bush administration right?

:ph34r:

10. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kiloran @ May 12 2006, 12:06 PM) [snapback]254109[/snapback]</div>
    It seems to me that this is the right way to do it. You go up to the machine, enter your choices, the machine prints out a ballot, you check to make sure it selected the people/options you chose, and you go drop that ballot into a ballot box. The ballots are then counted and you never have to deal with easily-hackable voting machines *or* with hanging chads.

EDIT: After more carefully reading your post, I think we differ slightly in our opinion. You think that there should be a paper trail as a back-up for the electronic countings, whereas I think there should be no electronic countings in the first place (i.e. the computers are just there to print the ballots). Regardless, I think we would both agree that electronic voting without a paper trial is a bad idea.

11. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

From the GAO report on electronic voting machines: "concerns about electronic voting machines have been realized and have caused problems with recent elections, resulting in the loss and miscount of votes."

The GAO report is worth reading; it's at:
    http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d05956.pdf
    A summary of its findings is at:
    http://www.freepress.org/departments/display/19/2005/1529

Considering that the machines are made by Diebold, whose CEO promised (and made good on it) to deliver Ohio to Bush in the 2004 election, I don't trust them at all.

12. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Diebold Voting Machine Security Flaw "Worst Ever"
    http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/051206F.shtml
    The most serious security breach that's ever been discovered in a
    voting system has been discovered in the Diebold voting machines. The
    security hole allows someone with a common computer component and knowledge
    of Diebold systems to load almost any software without a password or
    proof of authenticity and potentially without leaving telltale signs of
    the change.

13. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ May 12 2006, 09:56 PM) [snapback]254489[/snapback]</div>
    Nope. Don't trust them. (Geez, I sound like Chuck D..."can't truss it")

However, I trust humans counting ballots even less. :(

Ever since Florida, 2000...a time lived in infamy and utter shame...I have so little faith in voting regulations. It doesn't stop me from using whatever machine the voting board supplies, though.

I used a computer touch-screen in the last two elections in my state, and they were very easy to use. To an earlier point, it seems like they may be the best way to count votes AS LONG AS THERE IS AN ACCURATE WAY TO VALIDATE VOTES!!!

All I know is...(said in the style of Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford)..."NO MORE HANGING CHADS!"

14. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 12 2006, 09:03 AM) [snapback]254102[/snapback]</div>

I did not get to drink that one. My daughter sent me that pic from Italy. I have Paso Robles wines and a few Aussie and Argentinian wines in the closet.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeff Beaver @ May 12 2006, 11:35 AM) [snapback]254218[/snapback]</div>
    I have worked the SD polls (thought it would be interesting...really long day). We had these type of ballot machines this last time. I think if someone wnats to cheat they could do it but I like the paper back up to the machine count.

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "It's not who casts the votes, it's who counts the votes." - J. Stalin

It doesn't matter what machines are used to cast the votes if Diebold machines are counting the votes.

Diebold doesn't seem to have a problem with providing machines with paper trails internationally, just domestically.

How hard could it be...an ATM can give you a receipt?

There is no system of voting that cannot be corrupted. Maybe we should all meet in town halls for a show of hands?

Do I think the voting system has been corrupted? Yes. Have both parties been involved? Yes. But I think the Republicans are much, much better at it. I do believe the last two elections were a result of tampering. Not necessarily just with the machines. Other fraud was committed. (Ohio...why were there so many machines in thinly populated Republican districts and so few in heavily populated Democratic districts? Do we really need to talk about Florida 2000?)

16. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ May 13 2006, 01:18 AM) [snapback]254599[/snapback]</div>
    One of the most fundamental and precious rights that every citizen has is the right to vote. And the most egregious thing about the 2000 and 2004 Presidential elections- even worse than the fact that shrub managed to sneak into office twice- is that many people in this country were denied the right to have their vote counted.

17. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We use an electronic voting machine which I like very much (speaking as both a voter and an electrical engineer). The system uses a paper mark-sense ballot, which you mark by filling in little ovals, just like test sheets in school. The sheet is then fed into the electronic reader in the presence of the poll workers, poll watchers, and the voter.

Here are the advantages to this system:

1) You don't need a machine for each active voter. Several people can fill out ballots at the same time for each reader, since the reading process is much faster than the filling-in process.

2) There is an inherent paper trail.

3) There is no punching, hanging chads, or goofy stylus.

4) You cannot turn in a bad ballot. The reader error checks each one and refuses to take any ballots with errors or illegal votes. As an example, if you tried to be fair and balanced and voted for both the Democratic and Republican presidential candidates, the reader would kick out your ballot and you would have to re-vote. Many other systems do not catch this type of error until after the voter has left, in which case that vote is void.

5) The vote is tallied as the ballots are read, so as soon as the polls close you know the vote.

6) Full privacy. No one can see your marks, and no tally information is displayed during voting.

I think these are the best systems made.

Tom

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ May 12 2006, 08:58 AM) [snapback]254096[/snapback]</div>
    That would be me.

Since you do not have the choice to vote for "none of the above," and since candidates are elected by plurality, not by majority, so that a massive vote for protest candidates still leaves one of the big two in power, and since the selection of candidates in the first place is controlled at a level out of reach of the voters, it makes little difference who wins the general election. Big Business still runs the country. And the same businesses back both parties. Finally, if a genuine outsider makes it onto the ballot, she'll be excluded from the candidate debates and blackballed by the media so that the common voter will arrive at the polls without ever having heard of her.

19. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ May 13 2006, 07:17 AM) [snapback]254675[/snapback]</div>
    You're talking about a Scantron system. We use them in schools all of the time.

I think they're somewhere about 90% accurate.

BTW those votes go to a main machine that tallies them. It tallies the absentee ballots too. That machine could be tampered with. In my district that machine is manufactured by.....Diebold.

The only electronic system I would consider would be what the state of Nevada uses, and it's NOT DIEBOLD. When Nevada was looking for an electronic voting system it handed the evaluation process over to the gaming commission because they have the most expertise in that field. Too many states chose their systems based on a sales pitch to clueless bureaucrats. At least Nevada had experts in the field to study the options and chose the best system. And they have a way to constantly monitor the honesty of the system.

20. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeff Beaver @ May 12 2006, 02:35 PM) [snapback]254218[/snapback]</div>
    We are in CT

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 13 2006, 01:36 AM) [snapback]254609[/snapback]</div>
    "sneak"? Time to get over it. If you really feel you were duped in 2000, you know the saying..."fool me once...

Anyhow, I still prefer the old pull-lever mechanical machine to an electronic device. Although it constantly amazes me how efficient the electronic machines are when it comes to handling the lottery.