1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you use the cargo cover much?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by debrasnell, Oct 16, 2007.

1. debrasnell

debrasnell New Member

I picked up a 2004 Prius but it came without a cargo cover. I am wondering how handy the cargo cover may be for the Prius because of the large rear window...

Do you all use it much? There is one on Ebay that matches my interior for a fraction of the cost of a dealer replacement but if it's not used much by the owners... I'm wondering if I should bother.

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I find the cargo cover very useful. It's great for keeping stuff hidden from view, it's handy for rear seat passengers to toss their jackets onto, and it will help keep anything stored there from flying around the car in an accident. It's too bad it didn't come with the car, but I'd say if you can pick one up for not much money, you probably won't regret it.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep... use it whenever I can.

It keeps things away from prying eyes and helps muffle some of the noise coming in from the cargo area.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I use mine all of the time. The only time I don't use it is when I put something in the back area that is too tall to allow me to close the cover. If you can get one in good condition on eBay for a fraction of the cost new, I'd go for it.

If you don't have the original OEM mats, I'd get those too, including the one for the back cargo area.

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    These days, I use mine all the time --- the cover is almost always on (not rolled up). The only time it isn't in use is when I'm hauling stuff with the backseats folded down. I highly recommend getting one. It turns the cargo area into a trunk of sorts.

However, years ago, in the 1970s and 1980s, when petty crime was pretty rampant in US cities, people would hardly ever use their cargo covers when their cars were parked on city streets --- they feared that this would tempt a thief to break the car windows to see what valuables may be hidden underneath. Similarly, people would leave the glove department doors open so thieves could see that there was nothing of value there. And pull-out radios/cassette players were also popular then. Car owners would pull out the radio/cassette player whenever they left the car, and frequently have a yellow sign stuck on the car window with suction cups, saying "NO RADIO ON BOARD". And forget about leaving a baby car seat in the car overnight. It would not be there in the morning, and one of your car windows would be broken, and worst of all, you would feel as if someone had violated your child.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Haven't used mine...ever in 4 years. Sitting on the floor of my garage under...something.

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine keeps the sun from shining directly on and baking my pilot gear that rarely leaves the car.

8. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

Mine is stored in the compartment under the floor, in the slot designed for it. The cargo area looks empty now, so there's less chance of someone breaking a window to steal whatever they think is under the cover.
    It's not really empty though, the stuff I carry all the time is under the floor too.

9. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(debrasnell @ Oct 16 2007, 12:15 AM) [snapback]526185[/snapback]</div>
    Yes! It hides my stuff, keeps the sun off of groceries, and I like it. If you can get one on eBay at 1/4 the cost go for it.

10. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lowlander @ Oct 16 2007, 01:46 AM) [snapback]526217[/snapback]</div>
    Debra,

As I said before, I use my cargo cover all the time and would definitely get one even if I had to pay retail price. Getting it for a fraction of the retail price on ebay is a bargain (tho shipping would add to that).

But reading lowlander's quote above reminds me: Could it be that you actually have a cargo cover and it's stored in the compartment under the floor?

11. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I use it as if it were a . . . cover over the trunk.

Rarely have I had it rolled up. It keeps things out of the sun, but more than that it keeps down interior noise and adds to the general tidiness of the car. If I didn't have it, I'd buy one from the dealer in a second. If I could get one gently used on eBay, I'd jump at it. Just be certain it is the same interior color!

12. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have an extra reflective sunshield that I lay on top of the cover, which further helps keep heat down on sunny days.

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    By keeping the cover closed you also reduce the space the heater and air conditioner need to heat and cool. I know it isn't a lot but every little bit helps. Anything else I have to say has been said above.

14. debrasnell

debrasnell New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Oct 16 2007, 02:00 AM) [snapback]526233[/snapback]</div>

Good thinking! I just checked and it isn't there. :( Dealership price for a replacement is $355., yikes! Seems that many of the dealer sold used Prius in CA are being stripped of all extra keys, etc. They are being sold on Ebay, I think. ;) I have the rear mat but not the floor mats. I picked up some all weather mats at Kmart. Just sprung for an extra smart key new on Ebay for $145.00 - no tax and $6.00 shipping - saved me a bit of money but I was concerned about buying a used one.

I knew I was up for all this when I negotiated the price. I still think I got a decent deal, at least I hope.

15. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've used mine frequently. I'd definitely get the cover from ebay. It's good to have even if you don't use it regularly. It'll add to your Prius' resale value should you ever - God forbid - decide to sell your car.

16. mootsman

mootsman New Member

Once a week we travel about 70 miles (round trip) to grocery shop at a fav store. We take a cold bag for some of the groceries and the cargo cover is great at keeping the summer heat off of the cold bag -- particularly if we stop several more times. I'd go for it.

17. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 16 2007, 07:41 AM) [snapback]526271[/snapback]</div>
    X2.

18. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lowlander @ Oct 15 2007, 11:46 PM) [snapback]526217[/snapback]</div>
    I put mine under the floor and haven't pulled it out since. Once it goes down there, it will probably never come out again. I might just put it back up just so I start using it again!

19. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Debra,

So were you the high bidder on the cover yesterday? (I thought I saw a bisque one for which bidding ended last night).

If so, how much?

If not, I think there is still a bisque one and a gray one up for auction with about 4 days remaining.

20. darlenegalik

darlenegalik New Member

Best use of the cargo cover -

Solar clothes dryer, after visiting the beach -

:)