1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you want a free cabin filter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Metro, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Metro

Metro Your OEM Q & A Resource

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Everybody likes free stuff right? If you said yes then keep reading. This is a genuine free offer, no strings or hoops. The only thing that is asked is for some honest, detailed feedback. Other than that you are home free. I am contemplating offering a less expensive line of cabin filters for sale. I know that the factory ones are considered a bit pricey by some so I thought that I would try to help. I have a source that can offer a filter that appears well-made and would run $5-6 less than the $15 that I charge for the factory filters. Since I do not own a Prius myself I cannot do the trial here. It may actually be better for someone to post their findings here anyway. I am looking for Prius owner anywhere in the US who drives a lot of miles per month. I know that there are some of you who double the 12,000-15,000 mile yearly average, and you are the ones that I am looking for. I will base my decision on who drives the most miles and who has typically accumulated the most "junk" in their filters in the past. I really want to put this filter to the test so the most mileage and dirt the better. If you are interested please send me an email (NO PM's for this offer please) and list why you would be the best candidate. I will try to make my decision quickly and notify the winner by email. Depending on your level of assistance there may also be a special gift involved at the end of the trial. ;) Thanks for helping me out!

2. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    After the block heater group buy is done, I'll be increasing the miles on my Prius temporarily. Does that count.

Wayne

3. Metro

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Jul 30 2007, 10:03 AM) [snapback]487401[/snapback]</div>
    I was hoping that you would reply Wayne. I thought that driving all over the country installing block heaters would be a great test. Drop me an email.

4. priussoris

priussoris New Member

WE just put 11k miles on in 3 months and going to PHX. in December

maybe up to see wayne for the Energy Fair if we can find another dog sitter.

emailed you

Craig

5. Metro

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I am bumping this topic a bit. I appreciate all the people who have volunteered so far. There are some promising scenarios, but I am not too shy to say I am always looking for the next best thing. :p Don't tell Mrs. Metro! One of the volunteers to this point will be chosen for sure but it cannot hurt to look for better. So I am still taking names and listening to reasons why you would be the best so don't be shy! Thanks.

6. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Our daily commute is about 40miles round trip. Plus lots of kiddo activities on the weekend to boot. We're coming up to 10K and the car is not even 6 months old yet. Is this the profile you're looking for?

7. p626808

p626808 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Metro @ Aug 3 2007, 10:51 AM) [snapback]489915[/snapback]</div>

I do about 3500 miles a month..
    And will try anything for free :D

8. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've got 25k miles on my '05........does that qualify me? :p

9. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Since you said winner and not winner(s) I assume you are giving away just one filter for free. It seems you would need to give many more than that away to get enough feedback. FYI, I don't drive that many miles but since the car is parked outside all the time there is a lot of debris that accumulates due to leaves, rain, etc. Also, the cost has to be low enough to make the hassle of ordering and paying shipping worthwhile rather than picking up a few at the dealer when I'm there getting oil or air filters. Other than cost will there be any other benefit to your filter? Good luck.

10. Metro

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Aug 3 2007, 01:53 PM) [snapback]490025[/snapback]</div>
    I am giving it (one) away for free as the topic states. I am doing this to see if this is a quality filter because the price is incredibly affordable compared to the factory one. I do realize that a good deal is important to people but I am not willing to offer an inferior product that people will hate. I am not speaking to all here, only the ones that are concerned with getting a good bang for the buck. I don't feel that I need more benefits than just price to make it worth my time to investigate. I am shooting for at least a 50% reduction from the factory price before shipping. Is that interesting to people? I think so, but I need you all to tell me also. I unfortunately only have the one to "donate" to the PC community right now. That is the reason that I am listening to all who are interested.

For those that posted above and showed interest please remember that to be considered you must reply to my email address or else you will be lost in the shuffle. I will most likely stop taking entries by the end of the day wednesday August 8th. And remember the chosen one stands to earn a nice gift(s) if the feedback is well detailed and objective. I do not mind if the review is bad only that the information is accurate.

11. Metro

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to everyone who volunteered. I will review all the offers today (8-9-07) and will contact the member that best fits what I am looking for by email. When the results are in I or the winner or both will post our findings for everyone to see. If they are favorable I will let you know what the final price will be and when they will be available. Thanks again!

12. 1fixitman

1fixitman Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Metro @ Aug 9 2007, 09:17 AM) [snapback]492929[/snapback]</div>
    I am sure everyone can just order one from you at the great price and check how well it works. I am sure at the reduced rate they would be happy with the purchase and they can all give you feedback when they reach the milage requirements for the filter or if it fails early they will know not to get it again. If it is such a bargain they would be happy to buy. Sell say 25 of them to priuschat members to test out at the great price that is less than the OEM filter. Just my .02 to get more test results. You are letting them know ahead of time that the filter is an other than OEM and for testing and feedback.

13. Metro

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(D Rock @ Aug 9 2007, 10:25 AM) [snapback]492950[/snapback]</div>
    I appreciate the input, but I only received one sample. My supplier actually gave me his free sample as he does not stock that particular filter. He would order them for me if I would choose to sell them, but I did not want to commit to an order that would never sell if a few people got the word out that they were junk. I know people like bargains but I do not sell inferior products just 'cause they are cheap. I am looking for bang for the buck. My selection for the test will remain anonymous for the time being, but I can assure you that the review will be accurate and well thought out. It is a well respected member of PC and even one that I have had the pleasure of meeting so I am comfortable with my decision. If the results are positive in the initial test and I choose to sell them and the rest of the forum purchases them and decides they do not like them I will honor that and discontinue them. I just cannot commit a good chunk of money to something that is unproven right now. I have people to answer to on how I spend the dealership's money. I am normally left alone and I like it that way. ;)

14. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ah, well, I'm out of the running then.
    Darn, now I'll have to go buy a new one :-S

I hope the testing turns out well... have fun to the winner!
    When all is said and done, we expect comparison photos, too :)

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sounds like Wayne would make a great test candidate. He's going to be driving all across the country installing the EBH. That means all terrains, temps, etc and a lot of miles in a short time. I'd say he's your man.