1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you want "my" 2006 Prius in San Jose (CA) area?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 3c3, Dec 12, 2005.

1. 3c3

3c3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I ordered a Prius in August for Jan '06 delivery, but I have changed my mind about getting one. Instead of just canceling it, I thought someone here may benefit from it.

2006 Prius with package #7 (with navigation, no leather). White. $350 under MSRP, so it should be slightly under $28,000 before tax/registration. Dealer is Sunnyvale Toyota.

I have not called my salesman about this yet. If you're serious about buying this car, let me know, and I'll call him to see if it's possible for you to take my place in line. I cannot think of any reason why this would not work. You'll have to put down a $500 deposit.

2. zqfmbg

zqfmbg New Member

I don't think it works that way. They have a backlog of people with set preferences, and so they would offer your Prius to the next person in the backlog whose preferences allow for that particular model. They seem to be sticklers for the whole fairness thing; you can't just substitute someone else in line for your spot.

When you think about it, it makes sense; that would otherwise be a great way for scalpers to make some money. ;)

3. 3c3

3c3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    For the record, I'm not scalping. I understand your point, but it doesn't hurt to ask. In the worst case, they'll say no.

4. 3c3

3c3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Never mind. Due to the potential scalping issue, it may seem suspicious to ask the salesman about this. I'll just cancel my order.

5. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    However, there'd be nothing wrong, if someone's interested, in someone who wants it, after PM-ing you first (to co-ordinate), calling your salesperson immediately after you do. That person could say they knew you (sorta true), that you'd said you were going to cancel it, and he/she wondered if it might still be available.

They've been reported here to have been "found" in exactly this fashion.

6. davedog

davedog Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah just go together to buy it.

7. zqfmbg

zqfmbg New Member

It doesn't hurt, but I don't expect Toyota Sunnyvale to do it. From conversations they gave me the impression they were sticking to the line. This includes all the people with 05 orders when the 06s started arriving; I was told that in line order, everyone would be given the first right of refusal to cars as they arrived. (You could say they just stick everyone into one big line and the 05/06 thing is noted as a preference.)

8. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    I hope they do, as they should. Sometimes I'm stricken with conflicting values. :)

9. 3c3

3c3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have already called to cancel and will pick up the refund check tomorrow. When I was asked for the reason, I said that I won't qualify for the tax credit because of AMT, which is true. I had to explain what AMT is. If I could get the tax credit, I would probably have bought the car anyway, even though I don't need a new car at this time.

BTW, I won't be surprised to hear (in 2007) that many people who expect to get the $3,000+ tax credit won't actually get it because of AMT, or not that much.