1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do your Hydroedges scream too?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ravenmaniac, Feb 29, 2008.

1. ravenmaniac

ravenmaniac Senior Executive VP of Nothing

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What kind of mileage did you get from your Hydroedges? I am currently at 70k miles on my set and they have gotten really, really bad lately. The sidewalls are now bald, but there is still plenty of tread in the middle. I have the pressures at 42/40, but I think I am gonna have to replace them before 90k miles (manufacturer's tread life).

At 73 and 78 mph, they literally scream down the highway!! The noise is so loud that it's almost unbearable. At 15 mph, they sound like they are going over cobblestone. The inside of the car shakes at 15mph. I have taken them back to Costco, had them balanced and checked and they said that the tires are fine now. But, they definitely are not. Any opinions....

I drive 98% highway at about 40k miles a year. I need a tire that has a long tread life, but I don't think I will replace the Michelins with the same tire. Perhaps, I'll go with the Tripletred from Goodyear instead. I have them on my other two cars and they are great so far.

Any other suggestions/experiences would be appreciated...Thanks a lot!!

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    70K miles is pretty respectable with uneven wear. I hope I get that out of my Hyrdroedges, now at about 11K.

I'm assuming by "sidewalls are now bald," you mean the edge of the tread. Sidewalls are bald from the factory. ;) Your edge wear suggests two things to me: 1) a possible alignment or other mechanical problem; and 2) if wear had been more even, you might have gotten the full 90K miles.

Have you been rotating them regularly? I chose to rotate the OEM Integritys every 10K miles instead of the recommended 5K. Between that and a front end out of line, they developed some outer edge wear. I replaced them after less than 30K. The Hyrdoedges get rotated every 5K.

Yeah, they are pretty noisy, though I wouldn't call it "screaming." But then I rarely drive at 70+ MPH. Just curious: Does the noise seem worse now than when they were new?

3. RedTeam

RedTeam New Member

Good morning Raven. I have an 07 (bought new) with 32K on it. Replaced my OEM goodyears with Hydroedge tires 11K ago. Yes they are noisy. A high pitch whine over 70mph. I drive as you do on interstates at 70 to 80 mph. I have been on I95 sandwiched between two semis in a driving rain at 75mph and the tires held the car to the road like glue. I don't complain about the whine much any more. Tires are wearing quite well. Rotate them every 10K. I can see them lasting maybe 70 to 80K here in western north carolina where every mile sees a turn. A lot of technology apparently went into those tires. If I was just running 10k a year at 55MPH I probably would have bought something else. Everything seems to be a give and take. Drive well. --Harry;)

4. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have about 7000 miles on mine. They were slightly noiser than the Integreties, but nothing objectionable. But I rarely ever to 70 MPH (State limit here is 65 and only on the Thruway).

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    We LOVE ours ... nearing 45K and they look like NEW ! ! That being said, the only thing they're scraming is, "Woo Hoo ! ! ... Look how long we're lasting compared to those pathetic Good Years, that wore bald in less than 17K miles". Nope, we don't hear screaming, but even if they did? The lack of wear would more than make up for it IMO

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My HydroEdges (the older ones with the 760 treadwear rating) are now at 77,500 miles. The edges haven't quite reached the wear-bars yet.

Sound from them did increase as they aged, but no screaming.

My lifetime average is currently at 48.1 MPG, using E10 the whole time with PSI at 44/42.

7. ravenmaniac

ravenmaniac Senior Executive VP of Nothing

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm assuming by "sidewalls are now bald," you mean the edge of the tread. Sidewalls are bald from the factory.

Jimbo,
    Sorry about that. I did mean that the edges of the tread, not necessarily the sidewall..LOL! I do rotate them frequently, but the noise is so loud that I actually pulled over after rotating them once because I thought that the noise was coming from the engine. It turns out that it was just those tires.

It's good to know that others get a nice little humming from their Hydroedges too while driving. Perhaps I could slow down and not notice it a bit, but I might get a few middle fingers and honks from others on 270 and 495 here near DC.

Thanks for your input everyone! I was making sure that this might be normal. The alignment is fine on the vehicle too (had that checked already). I will get 90k miles out of these tires, but it's going to take another 6 months of annoying noise to get there.

8. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Mine were louder when brand new. I have about 5000-6000 on them now and the sound from the tread has worn down and they are much quieter.

BTW, I keep mine at 48-46. I ****ed up and purchased a wider tire and it killed my mileage. I believe efusco keeps his even higher than that, but 48 is enough for me.