1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dodge Charger has Goodyear Integrity tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by electricity_guzzler, Jun 5, 2006.

1. electricity_guzzler

electricity_guzzler New Member

the Charger is a muscle car, and it has Integrity on it. I'm not sure if it's OEM. But they put Integrity on a muscle car, then i think the tires can't be that bad. of course the charger has a larger size wheel, so maybe size does matter.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Integritys are cheap tyres. IT just depends on what the manufacturer wants to cut to reduce cost. For all we know, the Integrity could be only the base V6 model while the HO and HEMI models get better tyres.

3. electricity_guzzler

electricity_guzzler New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jun 5 2006, 02:08 PM) [snapback]266070[/snapback]</div>

yep the Integrity is on the base V6 model. But the base V6 model is already a 250hp beast.

4. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Doesn't matter, manufacturers have long since not cared what kind of tires they put on their cars OEM. My Lexus came with Bridgestone Potenza RE92s, which are about the worst tire money can buy.

They come on the car because they're cheap, thats the only reason.

5. theorist

theorist Member

I was also surprised by this. The Integrity is also OEM on some Lexus and Acura SUVs, Cadillacs, Buicks, Chryslers, etc. I guess we aren't the only victims of the Goodyear Integrity.

The police versions of the Dodge Charger and Magnum are all sold with Continental ContiProContact tires.

6. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

If the Intregitys are such a piece of junk, how come changing to another type of tire will almost always result in an mpg decrease? I lost 2 mpgs by installing another type of Goodyear tire when my stock tires had it at 40,000 miles. <_<

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    because the Integritys are LRR tyres but give up grip for the sake of LRR.

One of the best tyres that I've experienced were the set that came from the factory on our 02 Camry XLE. They're Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus. They're comfortable, quiet, grippy and still rated X-Green under Michelin's rating. They're fairly durable with my dad changing the whole set around 70,000kms, mostly city kilometres.

8. benighted

benighted New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jun 6 2006, 04:30 PM) [snapback]266942[/snapback]</div>
    The Integrity is not really a LRR tire. Toyo Proxies TPT have slightly better rolling resistance than Goodyear Integrity and are a high performance tire

9. theorist

theorist Member

Where did you find the rolling resistance coefficient for the Toyo TPT?

10. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Jun 6 2006, 06:52 PM) [snapback]266920[/snapback]</div>

I'd predict that you'd lose 1 mpg in measured mpgs if you replaced fully worn Goodyear Integrities with new otherwise identical Goodyear Integrities.

(A new OEM integrity has a diameter of 25.4 inches and 10/32 inches of tread depth. A used OEM Integrity worn down to the tread wear indicators has 2/32 inches of tread depth and a diameter of 24.9 inches. A distance that the odometer and MFD measure as 51 miles using the fully worn tires will only measure as 50 miles using the new tires. A measured fuel efficiency of 51mpg on the old tires is actually the same fuel efficiency as 50 mpg on the new tires.)

Worn tires may also have lower rolling resistance due to less tread squirm (rubber deforming and generating heat) and lower mass (less rubber slapping the road 855 times per mile). Solar and human power vehicle teams often shave tires for lower rolling resistance in competitions.

If you replaced your worn Integrities with new Integrities I wouldn't be surprised to find that your measured mpg increased by 2 mpg.

Personally I wish that I could determine the source of a 1 mpg change in my cars. With uncontrolled variables and measurment error, I routinely find that my mpg vary by 1 or 2 mpg when I'm not trying to change anything. I believe that tires have a small but important impact on fuel consumption that I would like to measure reliably.