1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does 2020 Prime come with reusable "canister" oil filter "housing"?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by The Big Sleaze, Dec 23, 2020.

1. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Because after using up my two "free" (and PIA) dealer oil changes I did my own at home and there was a Toyota brand disposable normal spin on filter. Had Mobile1 normal replacement ready to go. Gee, I guess its a good thing I didn't buy just paper replacement like is being pushed at all dealer Parts Dept displays.

Did one of the two dealerships throw away my reusable thingy?

I thought the o-ring seal went around the outside in a groove rather than normal flat pressure fit.

Did Toyota get wise and ditch the whole funky reusable filter holder scheme at some point???

Should I just be happy to know at least one of the two dealerships actually changed the filter, rather than just say they did?

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They got wise and went back to the spin on filters in mid 2017. My early '17 Prime has the cartridge type, the later ones have the spin on. No more worries about that o-ring rolling out of its grove. Also, there is a kit that will convert the cartridge system like mine to accept a spin on.

3. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Thx, I guess that explains why the Parts Dept has a big stack of Paper Only filter guts they are trying to push....when I told them I have a 2020 Prime.

That groove o-ring looks like bad idea, and just the sort of thing that would install itself wrong but you'd not know until all you oil has leaked out.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think that has happened to a few people ... one on PC that I know of. Lately, they have had some extra explicit instructions on the filter box showing where the o-ring goes and explaining that you need to put oil on the o-ring before putting it in place and then add more when you're ready to screw in the housing. Lots of oil. The spin-on filters are a lot more straightforward. In fact, I'd get the kit myself, but my wife also has an early '17 Prius, so I'd need to get two of them to keep them the same and that gets a little pricey. So far, I've had no problems.

5. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The kits cost $185 to $199, right? The cartridge filter is little bother, certainly not worth the cost of the adapter. I need a new wrench for the cap; the first one I bought almost fits.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    upload_2020-12-25_13-27-22.png

This is my cost through Amayama in Canadian Dollars (roughly .75 of US dollars). There's about $25 for wiper blades in there as well, so about $100 CDN (about $75 USD), for just the conversion components, and that is all in, no extras. I saw no need to get replacement bolts, and fwiw I could have gotten away with reusing the o-rings, but still a good idea to replace I think.

The canister and spin-on are the same oil filter socket size, one will do for both. Honda's socket is what I've used, had it for decades. AFAIK Toyota, Honda and Mazda all use same filter dims now: 64 mm face-to-face, 14 faces. The sockets have slight clearance allowance, maybe 0.5 mm.

Info on the install here:

The 2016+ Toyota 2zr Engine oil filter conversion - Armstrong Family Blog

#6 Mendel Leisk, Dec 25, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
  7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here's what I got. It's a perfect fit and really well made.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Stamped-steel Honda version:

https://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-Oil-Filter-Wrench__07AAA-PLCA100.aspx

Part no:

07AAA-PLCA100

Dealership parts departments can get them in.

I got one around 1990, for a Honda Hurricane (motorcycle) oil filter, when their automotive filters were larger. Honda then switched over to the smaller 64 mm size filter for their cars. Been using it ever since. Again, works for Toyota, Honda and Mazda, 14 flute 64 mm seems to be industry norm, at least for those three.

#8 Mendel Leisk, Dec 25, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2020