1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does a 2001 Prius need to be warmed up b4 freeway driving?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by ragnarkar, Oct 17, 2011.

1. ragnarkar

ragnarkar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since I live literally next to the freeway, would it be a problem if I accelerated to 65 on a cold engine right from the start? Keep in mind this is an older Prius and my apartment exit is adjacent to the nearest freeway onramp.

2. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Will it do it? Yes.
    Is it bad for longevity of the engine and the battery compared to a gentle warmup? Yes.

I would say give it at least the ~50 seconds to leave stage 1 before going up the ramp. If you do that as habit, but occasionally go straight up the ramp if you are in a hurry, it's not going to make much difference.

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it's at all practical, drive to the next on-ramp before entering the freeway. A few extra minutes warmup while driving gently will help your engine life.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Living in southern CA, your definition of "cold" is a complete non-issue.

I live in MN, where it gets drastically colder... and never had any trouble, despite also living next to a highway. Even when seeing this:

[​IMG]

5. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just had to look up what -13F was in C, -25! that is cold!!

6. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i know i own a genII... and this is for a genI...

i tow with my genII... to the point that if it's warm out or if i'm going N instead of S with a small incline it will partly drain the battery since the car uses mainly electricity to run during stage 1. as Flaninacupboard said... a warmup isn't all the bad. any time i do a warmup on my genII... my gas mileage is more predictable and i always have a more stable battery when i do a warmup. yes.. it may pollute more sitting there for warmup... but a person smoking a cigarette (possibly me) probably does more damage to the earth than a simple warmup (gross comparison... but really.. it doesn't seem all that bad to do a warmup)

7. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They were having a heat wave.

8. jhknight

jhknight Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2002 Prius and I also wonder what you consider "cold" in CA being in MN. I have driven the 2002 in -25F weather and there is a blue light that corresponds to a cold hybrid battery and I believe that while that blue light is on you're supposed to take it somewhat easy? I also saw the neffarious "turtle" light one cold morning - but only once- which ironically appeared after a full hour warm-up on one of those sub-arctic mornings which is supposed to indicate a battery that is overheated ?? and you are supposed to drive under 30 mph until the turtle goes away.