1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does a 2006 Prius have a ROLL OVER/OVER FILLING valve

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by 93dawg, Oct 17, 2014.

1. 93dawg

93dawg Junior Member

SW WASHINGTON the real Washington (Bought 08/15/14
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does a 2006 Prius have a ROLL OVER/OVER FILLING valve? This is a ball in a cage with a weight at the bottom at the end of the fill tube. When filling the gas to the full level in the tank the ball floats up and blocks the fill neck thereby shutting off the gas nozzle. And no matter how much you try you can't overfill the gas tank because the ball prevents gas from being introduced the nozzle keeps shutting off. In the event of a roll-over accident, the weight under the ball forces the ball against the end of the filler neck thereby preventing gas from running out of the gas tank. The EPA doesn't want unburned gas in the air, in the water, or on the ground.

The reason I am asking about this is I read that some cars have this valve

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, this is not present, to my knowledge. It is possible to overfill the Prius gas tank, and saturate the carbon filter in the process.

3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Roll over valve isn’t needed in modern gasoline cars since tanks aren’t vented to atmosphere from gas cap anymore. Instead normally fuel tank is vented to intake manifold trough charcoal canister and vent valve. But in North American gen 2 Prius gas tank has fuel bladder inside and it operates differently but it’s not vented trough gas cap either.