1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does a missing axle dust cover cause abs light to turn on?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Elton Lucien, Dec 10, 2022.

1. Elton Lucien

Elton Lucien Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I recently replaced the boot and and bearing on my driver side and am experiencing a persistent abs vsc light combo that my reader is saying is caused by a bad left sensor. While putting things back, I damaged the axle dust cover (part : 43246-47010), which in turn rubbed against the abs original sensor and damaged it as well. I took everything apart and removed the cover entirely and reassembled everything with a cheap Amazon sensor. The lights persisted. I figured the non OEM sensor was just not good enough, and bought a used one on eBay, and the lights are still on. I decided to do a little experiment and disconnected my right side sensor, and the car reads nothing when moving (stuck at 0mph), confirming that the issue is indeed in the left side. Has anyone driven without a dust cover? Does it trigger those lights, it I should just bite the bullet and buy a brand new one for $300?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I was just watching a South Main Auto Video, diagnosing a non-functioning rear speed sensor (does abs sensor equal speed sensor btw), and what he did was run jumper wires from sensor on other side over to the wiring connection on the non-functioning side, to narrow down if it’s the sensor or a break in the wiring.

He was using a non-Techstream reader to do this, turning the wheel on the non-problem side, watching for corresponding voltage spike on the problem side, where he'd run the jumper wires.

#2 Mendel Leisk, Dec 11, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV