1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does a Prius III take the IPod interface?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mainerinexile, Mar 27, 2010.

1. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Newbie here, buying a Prius III next week. I've read the many posts about problems with the IPod interface, and this has helped me negotiate for the interface at dealer cost. However, I just noticed in the on-line build section at Toyota.com that the interface is listed as an accessory for the Prius II, but is NOT listed for Prius III or higher models.

Is this a web bug or programming oversight, or is there some functionality or an additional port that means that the Prius III doesn't need/use the IPod interface?

Thanks for your feedback. I've learned a ton from all of you folks here on Prius Chat.:)

2. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Let me re-phrase the question: Does anyone know why the IPod Interface is listed as an option for the Prius II on the Toyota.com website, but it isn't listed as an option for the Prius II, IV,or V?

Thanks for your help.;)

3. v10BlackBox

v10BlackBox New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think its because you get it for free on the III and up, that's what they told me when I got mine yesterday. It was one of the reasons that I tried to find a III in Pearl White with no Navi or Roof, but ended up with a II and a retrofit.

The option is ~300 or so installed by the dealer on the II's.

4. barrybie

barrybie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I believe with the Navigation system there is a USB port in the center console that you plug into the ipod. You have control through the nav screen. It isn't great but much better than other alternatives I have used. Playlists work te best.

5. Analogkid1958

Analogkid1958 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Isn't the correct question: With which Prius stereos will the IPod interface work?

Our 2010 model III has the six-disk JBL system; my wife would love to use her IPhone with it, if it's possible.

Or is it easier to stream the music over the Bluetooth?

6. Philosophe

Philosophe 2010 Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My understanding is that the iPod interface kit will not work with non-nav JBL radio with integrated satellite radio. I've bought a package with such a radio and with the iPod interface kit, which has never worked. The dealer told me it would at the end of the satellite trial period but it is not true. I have an appointment next month for them to do a final trouble shoot but I expert them to remove the kit and refund me.

7. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    a repost from what i did in my car last year

the biggest update is that it has a mind of it's own when the temperature goes below 32 deg.

it's likes to turn on by itself. you turn it off....and it comes back on it 10 seconds. it usually stops as the car starts to heat up. it's not too annoying considering it was my only choice to hook up the ipod and have it work with the steering wheel.

the instructions on setup are a little off. don't know if they updated them. mainly the dipswitch settings

the Toyota ipod interfaces don't work with embedded satellite chips in the radio. don't waste your time trying to make it work. hopefully they will eventually make one that does work.

8. eric0531

eric0531 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I can confirm this. My dealer tried in vain to get the interface to work with my non-nav Prius III after the sat subscription expired. They finally found something on Toyota's site that indicated it will not work on the units with the embedded sat chip.

I've ended up using a Kensington LiquidAux interface that works ok for my purposes.