1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does a Prius really need time to "warm up"?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by xvs, May 17, 2010.

1. xvs

xvs Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    In a previous thread about MPG in the city for short trips, comparing Eco, Normal and Power modes, some people said that mileage would be low for short trips because the car needs time to "warm up".

Can anyone confirm whether this is actually true? When I start the car, the engine usually turns on and runs for a minute or two, then turns off. I always thought this process warmed the engine up sufficiently, since it seems to run longer when it's colder.

Has anyone tested mileage over time and verified that it's significantly worse for the first N miles?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it's true. Not sure what the exact temp is in the 3G, but in the 2g until you hit about 157F you're not going to run very efficiently. You'll still shut off before getting to temp, but you won't be running nearly as efficiently.

Search for the Stages of Hybrid operation to get a better grasp of the stages and when and why the ICE shuts off at different times/temps.

3. xvs

xvs Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks, but I was really looking for data regarding fuel consumption over time or engine temperature.

Has anyone done that? If not, there is no hard data to show that 'warming up' affects the mileage. If so, I want to see it!

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't know if anyone's 'done that', but I can give some rough numbers. When I use an engine block heater and have a starting temp at around 130F compared to a 'cold' temp of ~40F I will see 75mpg in the first 5 minutes on my usual commute from work or home. My cold start MPG rarely exceeds 25mpg. I could probably record some mile by mile numbers if I took the time to do so, but I haven't and won't b/c it is so obvious. doesn't the Gen III have a minute by minute consumption gauge? It should be really easy for you to do your own test. Plan a 15 minute drive from your home that won't have too many variables as far as traffic and such. On a lazy morning start out with a cold ICE, drive the 15 minute trip, record or observe the 1 minuted bars. Go home with the car all warmed up, shut of, reset the consumption screen, and do it again...same route, and compare the results. I think you'll be convinced.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Don't assume from this that you get better mileage by warming up the engine before driving. Generally it's better to get in and drive, just try to take it easy for the first minute or so.

A cold engine produces worse mileage for all cars. It's not limited to the Prius.

Tom

6. Smirv

Smirv AkA: Ryan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The warming up process is for emissions output efficiency. I usually let it warm up because your getting crappy gas mileage either way. Just something you have to deal with, thats why short trips kill the mileage.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    All cars need to warm up. Prius does it faster than any other car by reusing the heat from the exhaust.

8. Philosophe

Philosophe 2010 Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Short answer: Yes, especially in cold temperatures. As with any car, a cold engine is inefficient.

As efusco said, to confirm this, simply take a look at the histogram screen, shown in minutes (hold the DISP steering wheel button to switch between the 5 min/1 min views). In my L/100km view (outside US), the first column is simply pathetic, way over the 10 L/100km limit of the display (way lower than 23 US MPG). The second minute gets better, and so on. The colder the outside temp, the longer it will take until the columns get into average gas consumption numbers for the car.

If you have a hypermiller fiber, you may want to learn about the Prius stages. In the first 45-50 seconds (stage 1a), the ICE is warmed up in a way by which it cannot produce sufficient force to drive the car; the motor/traction battery is then used to do so (unless you go pass the ECO zone of the HSI into the PWR zone: the ICE will then provide power, in an inefficient manner).
    • During that first 45 s. (probably longer in the winter months, depending on where you live: haven’t tested this last winter), you should let the car parked or drive with very mild acceleration, to avoid draining the traction battery (which need to be charged back, using gas, after the engine has warmed up).
    • I’ve started using this method (waiting 45 s., parked) in the last weeks and have seen a 0.2 L/100km reduction for my short commute.
    • Note that without a ScanGauge or such, it is not easy to know when you have left stage 1a (coolant temp >40°C), which is long before the engine stops by itself (coolant temp >70°C). Therefore, waiting for the ICE to turn off by itself before moving the car wouldn't be smart at all. I found that by listening to the ICE rpm while moving can help: if it is constant, even when your acceleration rate varies (gas pedal), you are still in stage 1a and the motor & battery are moving you while the ICE warms up at a constant rpm; if its speed is changing, you are out of stage 1a. By trial and error, you should find out how long you should wait to get out of stage 1a to get optimum fuel economy.
    • If you don't want to bother with this, simply avoid brisk accelerations for the first 1-2 minutes.
    Also, when doing errands, plan your first leg to be the longest.

In the winter, the phenomenon will be more important and the warming up times will be longer. A block heater will help. The stats I begun to accumulate last winter indicate that a block heater used for 3.5h in freezing temps will reduce gas consumption by about 0.4-0.6 L/100Km. Depending on your electricity rate, the cost should be minimal (amount of money saved on gas may or may not be more than the associated electricity bill).

I hope this answers your question.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can generate some hard data yourself by:
    (1) Resetting a Trip gauge at startup, and watch MPG as the engine warms, possibly resetting the gauge multiple times during warmup;
    (2) Getting a ScanGauge or other engine monitor, and watching current MPG during warmup;
    (3) with above engine monitor, watch GPH (gallons per hour) during warmup, including during stationary idling. I posted some numbers many moons ago.

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Auto Enginuity has a utility called "Speed Tracer" which claims to calculate the vehicle MPG. This is not a calibrated utility and this is only the second time I've run it. However, I had to get some groceries at 3:00 AM and here are the results:
    [​IMG]
    Obviously, I missed replicating the red light stop on the return trip. Also, it looks like low speeds, the MPG doesn't quite look right. I may not have gone into Stage 4 before arriving at Krogers. This would make a major impact in the MPG. But having data, even flawed data, is better than none as long as we realize this was an informal test. A better protocol might give a better result. NOTE: the Speed Tracer has not been throughly tested and these numbers, especially the coast down numbers, are VERY SUSPECT!

ROUTE:
    [ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=2009+Drake+Avenue,+Southwest,+Huntsville+AL&daddr=9011+Randall+Rd+SW,+Huntsville,+AL+35802&geocode=FdiPEQIdl8LW-imBmcXFt2xiiDFs7rsn3ceeqA%3BFeTCEAIdFAbX-ilfG8a_sBJiiDHu2IUHDRAYlg&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=34.7266,-86.639248&sspn=0.259032,0.470352&ie=UTF8&z=13"]2009 Drake Ave SW, Huntsville, AL 35801 to 9011 Randall Rd SW, Huntsville, AL 35802 - Google Maps[/ame]

Bob Wilson

11. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    What is the speed profile of your first 5 minute drive? I have never seen anything over 40 MPG during the first 5 minutes even with the block heater and best weather and road conditions. Thanks!

12. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the answer to that probably lies in the terrain profile... which my guess is all downhill.