1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does a solar charger work?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sho-Bud, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Sho-Bud

Sho-Bud Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Does anyone of you know if a solar charger works to keep the 12 V battery charged during a long period of not driving?
    2 questions specifically: is 120~150mA enough and is the cigarette lighter plug connected with the 12 V system when the power is of?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm seeing 2 questions:
    1)Does it work on long drives--I'd so "no". While it might contribute some tiny amount it also may not. I suspect the HV battery would more efficiently charge the 12v and thus the solar charger would never have a chance to contribute any power. It clearly isn't necessary for long term or any active driving.

2)Can the 12v be charged with a small solar charger via the cigarette lighter plug?
    Again, "no" is the easy answer. When the car is OFF the cigarette lighters are not active...no charge can go in or out unless you modify the plug to allow it to be 'live'. Instructions for that are at coastaletech.com. Charging the 12v when the car will be idle for long periods of time (10+ days) may not be a bad idea and you can either use a modified cigarette lighter outlet or use alligator clips to go directly to the 12v battery for this. I have my car set up to do this, and have a solar charger...but I've never used it.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think it will work, but how long to you plan to be idle?? there is a way to protect your 12 v battery from discharge for periods of 2 months. that would be easier and cheaper.

i have a portable radio that runs on solar, i would venture to say that even that would be enough to keep the battery in good shape if you disable SKS, etc.

4. c4

c4 Active Member

150 mA is a 1.8 Watt panel; you only get the full 150 mA when the panel is directly lit by bright, overhead sun, so that's an hour or so a day in southerly climates in the summer, much less in most other places, especially since it is also dependent on how and where you park your car... If you're behind glass (ie, behind windshield on the dash, count on the output being cut 60% or more, particularly because of the solar-absorbing high iron-content glass used in the Prius. Then, also remember the parasitic drain caused by the systems that remain powered in the Prius even when the ignition is turned off. These drains are present 24/7 whereas you only get half that in terms of sunlight, and again, only the brightest part of the day actually contributes to any appreciable charging..

My own calculations and measurements show that for an in-car (behind glass) system, a *minimum* panel size of 5W is required for a minor trickle charge, and that's in totally ideal conditions.. In more typical conditions, behind glass and without direct sun, a 5W panel under load gives out enough to offset the parasitic load and not much more; certainly not enough to account for the drain at night when there is no contribution from the panel..

You can get larger panels that will definitely work, but most will need to be externally mounted due to their size.. This is both a good and a bad thing- good because the output will be greater if they are not behind the car glass, but bad because of the potential for theft or vandalism..

So, basically, the answer is that if you're thinking of one of those little tiny 6" x 12" 1-2 Watt panels that sit on your dash, forget about it.. a mid-sized 5W panel is the minimum size that will give some minor benefit, but for a system that can maintain the 12V battery indefinitely, you're looking at large solar panels that will be a challenge to mount.

5. Sho-Bud

Sho-Bud Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for the answers.
    I will take delivery of my Prius in May, but like to be prepared for the future.
    So this is not exactly it... ;)

6. FIESTA

FIESTA New Member

I have a similar question, but a little more complicated.

We will take delivery of our 2006, package #8 in about a week. We get to enjoy it for less than three months and then we leave for Europe for 4 to 5 MONTHS. Ideally I would like to park the car locked in a garage for that time. Our daughter would love to drive it for us, but then we would have to leave it outside.

The Toyota salesman tells me to use a trickle charger on the battery. Fine, I say, but what about the NiMH batteries. No problem, he says, the little battery will charge the big ones. No, says I, I don't think so. Well then, he says, charge the big batteries directly, you can buy a kit to do that. I said, Maybe but it is very expensive and it voids the warranty. He says, No its easy and it does not affect the warranty. I said OK.

So now I need help from you guys and gals who know what you are talking about.

7. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well... I wouldn't describe myself quite like that... but I will tell you my experience with NiMH in my full battery EVs.

Leave the NiMH battery fully charged, and don't worry about it. At the SOC level that the Prius allows, the self-discharge rate is less than 1% per week. You should be just fine when you get back. I would recommend using some sort of high quality charger on the lead-acid Aux battery though. And no, of course the Aux battery cannot back-charge the traction battery.

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1)Don't ever listen to that salesman again... he does NOT know what he's talking about.
    2)6 months is how long the HV batt is supposed to hold it's charge unused.
    3)Why can't your daughter pull it out of the garage once in a while to drive and charge it?

9. FIESTA

FIESTA New Member

1)Don't ever listen to that salesman again... he does NOT know what he's talking about.

I already knew that, I just wasn't going to argue with him! He was a nice guy. You should have heard what his boss told me (he was a real a**hole, rude and beligerant); tried to sell me every possible dealer add on and make me feel stupid for not wanting to buy it. I told him I just wanted to sign the papers for the MSRP plus tax & licence and get out of there. I hate to deal with people who lie to me.

2)6 months is how long the HV batt is supposed to hold it's charge unused.

That's good news. I am very familiar with high capacity deep cycle 12 volt wet cells on boats and I never let them discharge more than 50%. I had no idea what the static current draw was for the Prius. Outside of my digital camera batteries I don't know much about NiMH batteries

3)Why can't your daughter pull it out of the garage once in a while to drive and charge it?

Well, that's complicated. Parking is difficult, two other cars will be parked in front of it, one of them belonging to our renter whom we let use the single driveway when we are gone. I could park it in her driveway, but there it is unprotected from weather and possible vandalism. I am concerned with the complexity of the car if she got into a situation where she was stuck, or the car wouldn't start or run.
    Also, and I hate to admit this as she is a very good driver and we borrow her Tundra when we need a truck, I really don't want ANYONE else to drive it for a while. (My wife would say: It's just a car!

Thanks for the feedback. I have a old 15 amp charger that's great for recharging a depleted battery, but for this I would like to have a trickle charger. Any recommendations would be welcome.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Colin,
    Realize, too, that it isn't really necessary to actually drive the Prius. If you start it up for 15-30 minutes and just let it "idle" (we need a better term for that with Prius) the 12v will immediately charge up and the ICE will run enough to maintain the HV battery charge....if you don't want the daughter actually moving the car.

11. c4

c4 Active Member

Be very careful when selecting a "trickle charger"- most of them are simply a low-wattage transformer with a diode on one leg forming a crude half-wave rectifier.. These things have absolutely no voltage or current control and if left on and unattended for an extended period, some models can damage batteries..

What you need is either a trickle charger with a charge controller on it which stops the charging when the battery is full; these are are available, but somewhat expensive due to the extra electronics, or for not too much more money, you can replace the old 15A "dumb" charger (which is really just a big scaled-up version of the "trickle charger") with one of the new intelligent computer controlled chargers.. These inverter-based (no big transformers) chargers will quickly charge a depleted battery, then go into a top-up mode where they do a controlled trickle charge only when the battery needs it, so you get the best of both worlds- just connect it to the battery and let the computer take care of things..

As for the NiMH battery, if you are going to be gone for an extended period, the one thing I would probably do is one last drive before I leave where I try for as much regeneration as possible to get the battery up to the green zone before you parked it, but in general I wouldn't worry too much about it..

Personally, I would let your daughter drive it- if you can't trust your own child, who can you trust?? And after all is said and done, your wife is right- it's only a car..

12. ttabbal

ttabbal New Member

For charging the 12V battery, you could use a Battery Tender unit. Motorcycle riders recomend them highly, and I just got one for my bike. It has a trickle charge mode that will charge the battery when it needs it, and an automatic float charger that will keep the battery where it needs to be for months at a time without damaging it. It seems to work very well for bikes and I see no reason it wouldn't work on a Prius Aux battery. It comes with fused cables you can wire to the battery that have a connector on the end to plug into the main unit for charging. When you're done, disconnect, cap off the connector with the cap that's mounted to it, and you're done. You could hide the wire behined a panel or under the false floor in the hatch when it's not needed. It also comes with alligator clips if you want to do it that way. I paid about $20 for mine.

13. FIESTA

FIESTA New Member

Thanks, I'll look into that. At $20 might it fall into the category that C4 warns about?

14. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The 12v system disconnects when the engine is off. You'd need to rewire the switch to keep the 12v on if you want passive solar charging with the car parked.
    B

15. khoult

khoult New Member

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I use a VDC Battery Minder at my hobby farm on the batteries for my tractor, garden tractor, and old Ford pickup. They work very well and you never have to worry about ruining a battery by overcharging.

http://www.vdcelectronics.com/batteryminder_12112.htm

Note this unit will only condition and keep healthy a fully charged battery. The instructions state it will burn out of used to charge a seriously discharged battery.

As far as that goes, just remove that tiny 12 vdc battery from the Prius anyway. You're keeping it locked in the garage, right? I was overseas on business for a month and removed my Prius battery with no real issues. I left it hooked up to a Battery Minder while I was gone.

I did have to "normalize" the power windows and do the radio presets again. That's fine, I only listen to a couple of stations anyway.

17. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have this one in mind when I get ready to buy for the cars I don't use now that I have my prius!.... when you trickle charge and then at night it drops to nothing.. it really shouldn't hurt the battery any more than driving it every day......

Unless you boil and get it how and lose the electrolyte, it shouldn't hurt a thing... a solar charger will not do that unless it a very big one...

Here it is.... http://www.batterystuff.com/solar-chargers/

I had my eye on this 6.5 watter http://www.batterystuff.com/solar-chargers/PF6.5w.html
    thats 30 inches long to fit on the dash "protects from sun too!"... If you feel you are getting too much power... just fold one or two leafs over so the sun can't see those cells!..

It looks very versitile for camping, hiking, and is very durable and compact..and is only 79.00.

Some of the cheaper models are rediculous on the amount of power they deliver as well as they are not very variable in thier use!..

Have fun!

18. c4

c4 Active Member

The charger Jayman has suggested would fit the bill for maintaining a car battery indefinitely, but at $60, as I said, it's a somewhat expensive unit- for about $10-15 more, you can pick up a microprocessor controlled "smart charger" with the same desulfation and maintenanance modes, but also with the ability to full-charge batteries at 10-15A rates.. The Harbor Freight unit is quite obviously one of those diode-and-transformer jobs- this one has an extra box on the wire that may or may not do something, but I certainly wouldn't risk a battery by using this device..

As for the solar panel, if you're putting it on the dash, under glass, trust me, you will not get anywhere near 6.5 Watts- because you lose >50% to the glass, you'll have to leave the whole thing exposed to get any meaningful charge to the battery..

19. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I think you made a typo.. you said 6.5 watts and mean't amps...

Thats why I prefer this larger unit.... this would put out around 700 watts in full sun.. you don't need near that much... even one - two amps is fine for trickle charge. "about one light bulb"

And so its not misunderstood.. this is only for the 12V battery to initially start the car "to boot up the computer"... the voltage is all wrong to charge the NiMh battery and is not necessary anyway.

I like the idea of not having to have extension chords running around all over the place outside and chargers people can steal.. this way, its all in the car. You can run thin wires out the door to underneath the hood if you won't want to tap into the system.

20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree. I already had quite a few conventional battery chargers sitting around, including a commercial 200amp unit that I bought at an auction.

I guess I was just impressed by this little wall transformer that could maintain the batteries.