1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does an '08 deposit actually guarantee me a car???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by carolbrady, Sep 9, 2007.

1. carolbrady

carolbrady New Member

Does putting down a $ deposit for an 08 actually guarentee you the car when it comes in? I made a deposit, got paperwork from the dealer of what I ordered. This was one week before the prices & allocation info came in. I called to f/u yesterday (which was a week from deposit date) w/ the salesperson.

Our telephone conversation lasted 2 minutes. The salesperson got my name wrong twice in that time, told me they would call back w/ the info and never did. They did mention it may be another 8 weeks because of the color I chose. I am seeing other people in the midwest getting their 08's so I am getting NERVOUS! Not that i will lose my deposit but rather just won't get my car!

Do I need to follow-up w/ the dealer by phone or in person or just relax and wait for them to give me a call?

Thanks.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(carolbrady @ Sep 9 2007, 10:13 AM) [snapback]509521[/snapback]</div>
    Did the paperwork you got have a VIN number for a car? If not, they can't guarantee a date because they don't know when they'll get a car with the color and package you like. They could find one and trade for it. I wouldn't wait. I'd be calling all of the dealers within a reasonable driving distance (your milage may vary) to see if they had the color and package I wanted, then deal with them. You can always get your deposit back if you find the car before your dealer does. The next time I called the dealer I'd let them know that I'm now looking myself and if I find a car from another dealer before theirs comes in (not "its on it's way but is THERE ready to drive off) then I'll be buying from someone else and they'll be refunding my deposit. Nothing like a little competition to light a fire under someone's a$$.

It doesn't look like they are bothering to work for you. They could call around and trade for the car you want, but it doesn't sound like they're bothering to do that. So let them know you'll be doing that and if you find one they'll be losing the sale AND the deposit.

I wouldn't wait to be called. At a minimum I'd be calling them every week. After a few weeks I'd be calling them every day. Because the squeaky wheel gets the grease and if you're annoying enough, they'll find your car just to get you to stop calling.

Unless you got some sort of fabulous deal, I'd be calling other dealers and doing the legwork myself. You might find you get a better deal than the original one you had.

3. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(carolbrady @ Sep 9 2007, 11:13 AM) [snapback]509521[/snapback]</div>
    The short answer is yes. The right paperwork is an official contract. I have been through this process twice and you are experiencing all the pain that goes with working with dealers who process customers as numbers. Here is what worked for me.
    1) Find out who is the ordering person. Somewhere at the dealer (probably on some whiteboard) would be a listing of all cars on order and status. At some point in this process a specific VIN is assigned and requesting the VIN assigned clearly reveals where you stand. Note that this is a Yes or No answer, any other answer should NOT be accepted from you. Please understand that once the salesman makes the deal, the car ordering is passed off to someone else and the salesman has little further interest in you (unless he/she is exceptional)
    2) Be nice. This does not prevent you from being inquisitive or firm. Someone at the dealer will respond positively to someone "excited" about getting their new Prius. On my last Prius purchase, I was at the end of the "waiting" period and went to the dealer (somewhat mad). Fortunately, I made sure that I always started out on a positive note and this allowed me to see the actual shipping and ordering info in the back room.
    3) Next time you are at the dealer, see if you can find a picture board with all the department heads and names. If they have business cards, get one of each. Then call the person directly that looks to be the boss of the salesman. Whoever you are dealing with has a boss. Finding out who it is just takes a little homework but she/he will not ignore you.

Last note-Your car is being ordered, but a lot of dealers drop the ball on keeping a waiting customer up to date. Also, do not let the dealer convince you to pay more for a "similar" car that you can get sooner. You have a contract on car that a whole lot of people want.....and you will get it.

4. alg

alg Junior Member

My $500 deposit did guarantee me the car. There were no surprises. You need a better dealer.

5. twilsonchicago

twilsonchicago Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(carolbrady @ Sep 9 2007, 10:13 AM) [snapback]509521[/snapback]</div>
    I ordered my 2008 a little over 3 weeks ago, before the dealer had firm prices, dates, or even final specs on the '08s. Tried to negotiate language to allow my deposit to be refundable subject to confirmation of that info, once it became available. All I got was "car will be delivered as described". I wasn't too worried, though, because I had done enough research to believe none of those things would be a problem, except maybe schedule, as no one knew for sure when they'd start receiving 2008s. The best they could tell me was "4 to 8 weeks, probably" but they wouldn't put it in writing.

About 10 days later, the salesman called and said the car had shown up on their incoming allocation. He had a firm price, and a soft date: third week of September, give or take a week. Then, this past Friday he calls again: the car is in, when do you want to pick it up. I got it Friday night, only 3 weeks and 1 day after ordering it.

I think Toyota dealers really don't know much about what they are getting when, until they actually get that allocation confirmation. In my case it didn't take long and all was well. Maybe your car will show up sooner than they are predicting.

Tim
    Chicago

6. carolbrady

carolbrady New Member

Just an update: I talked to my salesperson. She has no info regarding 08 Prius pricing as of yet, she could not get me a VIN number and said maybe we are looking at another 5 weeks (vs. the 8 weeks she threw out at me the other day). Hmmmm.....

I am not feeling overly confident at this point. :(

7. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(carolbrady @ Sep 10 2007, 07:50 AM) [snapback]510038[/snapback]</div>
    Odd that she doean't have 08 pricing, when that topic was a front page story on MSN.com a week or two back. From my memory, the price went up just under $400, like $399.99 or something like that.

I don't see how anything short of picking up a car can guarentee you a car. What if WWIII starts and leads to Armagetten or is a metior from outer space is headed straight for the Prius factory and the astronauts are not able to blow up the astoroid or whatever?

8. twilsonchicago

twilsonchicago Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(carolbrady @ Sep 10 2007, 09:50 AM) [snapback]510038[/snapback]</div>
    Carol, where in the country are you? From reviewing posts here, I've concluded '08s started arriving on the west coast a couple weeks ago. And mine arrived at my dealer in Chicago on Friday.

'08 pricing is on the Toyota website (as of Friday) Standard model is cheaper this year, but stripped down. Add back the equipment that was stripped away (via package 1, I believe) and the price is $150 over last year. Touring base price is also +$150. All packages are the same price as last year.

Tim
    Chicago

9. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IMO there is no good reason to put money down when there isn't even a VIN. If this year is anything like last year (and there's no reason for it to be different) there will be plenty of these cars on the lots come November-December. Just wait until you can find a dealer with stock and go pick your car. Worked just fine for me and I did get a little better than $1000 break on the price. Others did much better than me. The salesman may roll his eyes and stomp his feet because "It's a Prius...they're in high demand!" Just look him in the eye and point to the inventory. (My guy even tried to convince me that they can mark up the price because they sell a lot and make it up on volume. :D I laughed a little too hard at that one and he gave up and turned me over to the "closer," which just means you've stood your ground well.) You could also go the internet sales manager route, which I didn't try but has worked for lots of people. I might try that next time, but again there need to be cars on the ground. And there will be if you can wait a couple of months to buy.

My GF went through this deposit hassle when she bought hers in May. That was a mess that got so bad she wound up going through another dealer, getting the exact car off the lot like she should have in the first place. Two weeks of waiting for the first car that didn't exist, two days to close on the one she bought.

10. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(carolbrady @ Sep 10 2007, 10:50 AM) [snapback]510038[/snapback]</div>
    You have given the dealer money to demonstrate that you are earnest in your desire to purchase a car from them. Some dealers may even require this before allowing you to be put on a waiting list.

You do not, however, have a contract with the dealer. That is, the dealer is under no obligation to deliver the car to you because they don't even have it. Heck, they don't even have a price on it. The only obligation they are under is to either deliver you a car or give you your money back.

However, as bleak as that may sound, I agree with brick that it's not worth getting frantic about, now that the tax credit has dwindled away, and especially since you want one of the new models (which will be in abundance if you can just wait a little longer).

Hope this helps!

11. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(carolbrady @ Sep 10 2007, 10:50 AM) [snapback]510038[/snapback]</div>
    Don't get discouraged yet. Nothing shady or deceptive has been described. Just the standard (poor) treatment most dealers give to someone on the hook is what this sounds like. Prius availability has always been a matter of supply and demand and the beginning of a new car period is one of the worst times. In 2001 I had to wait many weeks....and in 2007 I had to wait many weeks. You are getting one of the best cars every made. There are many out there who have VERY long waits (6 months) described. I know the feeling that you are forgotten and nothing is happening. This changes with one phone call.

12. EarthFriendly

EarthFriendly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(carolbrady @ Sep 9 2007, 11:13 AM) [snapback]509521[/snapback]</div>
    This does not sound good to me, but then again, I am kind of old fashioned.

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(carolbrady @ Sep 10 2007, 09:50 AM) [snapback]510038[/snapback]</div>
    Tell her you want a full refund of your deposit and you're taking your business elsewhere. They are jerking you around.

14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 10 2007, 11:08 PM) [snapback]510413[/snapback]</div>
    You can look for inventory at www.cars.com and read through www.carbuyingtips.com. Ignore the sales bimbo. Start contacting Internet Sales Managers at other dealers. First suitable car at the best price wins.

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 10 2007, 11:08 PM) [snapback]510413[/snapback]</div>
    You can look for inventory at www.cars.com and read through www.carbuyingtips.com. Ignore the sales bimbo. Start contacting Internet Sales Managers at other dealers. First suitable car at the best price wins.

16. jonjonbear

jonjonbear New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Sep 11 2007, 09:16 PM) [snapback]510977[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm..Interesting. We went to the dealer here in Austin (Champion Toyota) I think was the first or second week of August and wanted to order a 2007 if possible. He told us that the new model was coming out soon and the likelihood of us getting the color/trim was slight and suggested we pre order an '08 since we were not in a dire hurry. He didn't have the pricing but thought it would be similar to the '07. I told him I had read they were under 300.00 difference and he hadn't gotten any pricing. They require a 500.00 refundable deposit. He first filled out a small form about the size of a recipe card maybe a bit bigger. Wanted to know exactly what we wanted, color, trim, add ons and such..I told him to keep the add ons except the XM radio(down here they put these pricey "extra mile packages which are a bunch of add on stuff)..I may have them add the glass breakage sensor which I was going to do myself until I found out you have to get it . He then went to the Toyota website and we built the car (which was really a 2007) and he printed two copies, kept one and gave us the other. He then took a photo copy of our credit card.(I thought that was weird but he said it was kept safe) He said he figured or was told they should start arriving around the middle of October early September (Austin Texas) so we called on Monday and he said our car was "scheduled for delivery" on the first of October..Exciting but sure hope he is being straight up with us. He seems like a great guy and had all sorts of awards in his office for top salesman and letters from customers..We felt good working with him. Sure hope those '08's start showing up down here in Texas pretty soon as I think I have the Jetta sold! One thing I find a bit disturbing is that the Prius doesn't come with road side assistance unless you pay extra for it? That was a slight turn off..It came free with our Jetta.

John

17. jonjonbear

jonjonbear New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Sep 11 2007, 09:16 PM) [snapback]510977[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm..Interesting. We went to the dealer here in Austin (Champion Toyota) I think was the first or second week of August and wanted to order a 2007 if possible. He told us that the new model was coming out soon and the likelihood of us getting the color/trim was slight and suggested we pre order an '08 since we were not in a dire hurry. He didn't have the pricing but thought it would be similar to the '07. I told him I had read they were under 300.00 difference and he hadn't gotten any pricing. They require a 500.00 refundable deposit. He first filled out a small form about the size of a recipe card maybe a bit bigger. Wanted to know exactly what we wanted, color, trim, add ons and such..I told him to keep the add ons except the XM radio(down here they put these pricey "extra mile packages which are a bunch of add on stuff)..I may have them add the glass breakage sensor which I was going to do myself until I found out you have to get it . He then went to the Toyota website and we built the car (which was really a 2007) and he printed two copies, kept one and gave us the other. He then took a photo copy of our credit card.(I thought that was weird but he said it was kept safe) He said he figured or was told they should start arriving around the middle of October early September (Austin Texas) so we called on Monday and he said our car was "scheduled for delivery" on the first of October..Exciting but sure hope he is being straight up with us. He seems like a great guy and had all sorts of awards in his office for top salesman and letters from customers..We felt good working with him. Sure hope those '08's start showing up down here in Texas pretty soon as I think I have the Jetta sold! One thing I find a bit disturbing is that the Prius doesn't come with road side assistance unless you pay extra for it? That was a slight turn off..It came free with our Jetta.

John

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would never let them photocopy my credit card, I don't care what bull$h¡t explaination they have.

In fact, the salesman at San Diego Toyota wanted to take my driver's license into the office to photocopy it. I handed him a photocopy I had already made and said "here, I've already done it." He said no, he had to do it himself. I got out of the car and left. Suddenly he didn't have to do it at all and kept calling me back.

What happened? They wanted to swipe the magnetic strip on my license. And possibly run some repeated credit checks to lower my credit rating.

I don't deal with anyone that wants me to hand over my driver's license unless it is a police office, Highway Patrol or another officer of the department of motor vehicles for the state of california.

If Ralphs or Vons wants it? Tough. I'll shop elsewhere. They have no right to swipe the magnetic strip on my licene. I have no idea what information is on there but they are NOT entitled to it.

19. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would never let them photocopy my credit card, I don't care what bull$h¡t explaination they have.

In fact, the salesman at San Diego Toyota wanted to take my driver's license into the office to photocopy it. I handed him a photocopy I had already made and said "here, I've already done it." He said no, he had to do it himself. I got out of the car and left. Suddenly he didn't have to do it at all and kept calling me back.

What happened? They wanted to swipe the magnetic strip on my license. And possibly run some repeated credit checks to lower my credit rating.

I don't deal with anyone that wants me to hand over my driver's license unless it is a police office, Highway Patrol or another officer of the department of motor vehicles for the state of california.

If Ralphs or Vons wants it? Tough. I'll shop elsewhere. They have no right to swipe the magnetic strip on my licene. I have no idea what information is on there but they are NOT entitled to it.

20. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonjonbear @ Sep 12 2007, 10:40 AM) [snapback]511258[/snapback]</div>
    It doesn't come with road-side assistance unless you but the Toyota extended warranty (which I got through this site). But I have an option for road-side assistance through my cell phone provider, cheaper than AAA.