1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does Anyone Buy The Standard Models?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by spideyman, May 22, 2007.

1. spideyman

spideyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am just curious...I notice most everyone getting their Prius with option packages. Personally, I bought my Touring with only Standard options. After my trade in, I had just enough cash to pay for it without getting a loan. I didn't want to borrow for some options of which some I would never use, like a navigation system. Does anyone buy their Prius with Standard options or is that pretty rare?

Just curious.

2. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's great you did not go into debt to get your Prius. I for one like all the options that the Prius has and would like a few more, auto headlights, power seats to name a few.

If you had more options like the navigation system I am sure you would use it. My wife thought that I was wasting my money when I bought my Garmin Nuvi for my truck until we took a trip and it worked great helping us get around Atlanta by telling us to get in the right or left lanes to make upcoming turns with plenty of advance notice. When you are moving with traffic on unfamiliar expressways at 70MPH it really helps.

When we bought our Prius that was one option we had to have built in. Bluetooth is another safety feature for anyone with a cell phone.

But thats why they make different packages for different people, not everyone wants all the bells and whistles. Enjoy your Touring edition, it is a great car.

3. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I only wanted stability control, but that couldn't be had at the time without getting the rest of Package 2. So that's what I got: backup camera, smart key. Didn't want or need to pay for the extra toys.

4. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Same here just pakg 1 back up cam, sks, reg. stereo. I plan on using a Garmin nav system that way it can go in other vehicles also and cost $$$$$$$ less

5. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was hoping for one without any packages, but there was no availability that I saw. So I settled for package #1. I was only in it for the drivetrain--I'm not into bells and whistles. Package #1 has way more stuff than I need. I'm starting to like it though.

Eric

6. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spideyman @ May 22 2007, 03:13 AM) [snapback]447207[/snapback]</div>
    We have the base 2007 model. The only thing I wish I had was an ipod port. Other than that, all the other stuff is fluff and I wouldn't want it, or want to pay for it.

Dave

7. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is it even possible to buy a Prius (or any Toyota, for that matter) without some sort of package? I can't recall ever seeing one that didn't have atleast one package included. Even the rare, base, 5-speed Corolla I've seen has had either a lame, high-priced 'power convenience package' with power door locks and windows or a better cruise-control package. But they all had one or the other.

Option choice is the one area that domestic manufacturers have an edge. It's always been possible to order a domestic vehicle exactly as one wants, i.e., options a la cart. With the Japanese manufacturers (Toyota, in particular), you have to take what they have, which means there's an option price-gouge built-in. It's quite aggravating but if you want a Toyota, you have to live with it.

There are signs that Toyota is having to adjust, though. The new Tundra isn't selling as well as hoped and it's believed that part of the problem is the lack of option choice. People who buy full-sized trucks are used to getting them with the options they want and, historically, Toyota isn't set-up to sell in that manner.

Honda is almost as bad. While it's possible to get a Honda with specific, stand-alone options, all Honda options are dealer-installed, meaning the dealer can charge as much as they like (and the price is always exhorbitant). For example, dealer-installed Honda air-conditioning on their base models is an astounding $1200.

8. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We bought the base model, plus the "Dealer's package" that they threw in, namely, the floor mats, and the rear bumper applique.

We had the option of getting one with package #3, but we weren't really interested in that.

9. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ May 22 2007, 11:49 AM) [snapback]447381[/snapback]</div>
    Our base model has these options too, as well as the first aid kit.

Dave

10. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If the base Prius had included the backup camera I would've purchased it. For me the backup camera is a necessity. The Prius' rearview is just too restricted for me to feel comfortable operating without the camera.

So I tried to find the lowest package that had the camera (package #1) but no dealer in Northern California had them (or so I was told by all 20 or so dealers I contacted). They had the base models and package #2 models but no package #1. So I went with package #2.

11. PeteSJCA

PeteSJCA 2013 Prius Plug-In Base in Winter Gray

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Peer pressure "forced" me to get package 7, with the navigation, and i'm so happy i got it. It's the best thing since sliced bread. I'm not impressed with the back-up camera, i've had my Prius almost 11 months and i still don't trust it...

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ May 22 2007, 08:08 AM) [snapback]447317[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah but with packages, the cost of production is lower. Keep in mind that you guys get a LOT of packages. The rest of the world is stuck with 3-4 models (so a base model + 2 or 3 packages) tops. At one point, you guys had 9 different ways to option your Prius.

13. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you keep the car several years, the added cost of option packages is really not that big a deal. $3000 in options, would only be $300 a year, less than $1 a day over a 10 year period. I didn't have any need for Bluetooth, but now I'm glad I got it. If like me, you almost live in your car, why scrimp on the toys and comforts?

14. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    One thing to consider is that not all packages are available in every area. For example, in 2005 there were 6 packages. In Southern California, only #1, #3 and #6 were available and most of the time only #6 was on the lots (this was when the Prius was few and far between). I didn't want to get the NAV or the BT, so I planned to get a #5. The closest state that could get me one was Nevada and the day I mailed the deposit I got a call saying #5 was no longer available. I decided to "bite the bullet" and get the #6 (in So Cal) and am happy that I did.

15. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2005 Package 1, simply because I don't need most of the options that were offered.

16. spideyman

spideyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As far as using a nav system, I don't really travel much and most places I do go I have been before and know how to get around there. Living in central Illinois, the biggest city I go to is Peoria, and I have lived here all my life.

The only option I would like to have is the ability to play MP3's in my CD player, and no, that wasn't a standard option on mine.