1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does anyone else think the instant MPG gauge is useless?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by phoenixgreg, Apr 12, 2010.

1. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have noticed that the gauge to the right of the MPH readout really isn't too useful. It will let you know if you have a steady foot, but the CHG/ECO/PWR graphic is pretty much the same thing. I'm betting Toyota put it there to impress your passengers, but it's valuable real estate on the dash that could be put to better use.

I'd rather see a gauge that shows the 12v battery life either as a graphic or numeric display. Since the ICE is not running full time, things like oil pressure or engine temp may not be valid as in traditional gauge packages where the ICE is running constantly. But a 12v battery readout would let you know when you should change your starting battery. What do you think?

2. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    I disagree. I find that it is more helpful than any other gauge for me to see if my foot is too far down, AND if letting up a little might be a reasonable thing to do, given the traffic flow.

2 people like this.
  3. vday

vday Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree
    I has its use
    Wouldn't mind other gadges as well

2 people like this.
  4. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I find the instant MPG gauge very useful--for 50 MPG and below. Above 50 MPG it's not very useful, since it's super sensitive in that range.

1 person likes this.
  5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I disagree as I think it is very useful as immediate feedback, especially if I have another screen other than the HSI displayed.

1 person likes this.
  6. dtuite

dtuite Silverback

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's the easiest way to tell you're gliding. Accelerate, come off the gas, add a little pressure back onto the pedal -- if the gauge goes to the top, you're gliding; if it doesn't, you're adding too much pressure (maybe you're on an upslope; maybe you're too heavy-footed). You can pick all that information up out of the corner of your eye, something you can't say about the other economy displays.

Also, you can tell when the ICE is still cold, because you'll be gliding, but not reaching the top of the "gauge."

2 people like this.
  7. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Like others, I totally agree the guage is extremely useful. I use it all the time to keep my mileage peaked. As a matter of fact, I'm right at 59.7mpg, hoping to hit 60!

I also agree that two other gauges would be very helpful: 12V battery voltage and engine coolant temp.

8. DickPhillips

DickPhillips Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It is useful to me to monitor my current driving. As others have said, it shows what you are doing right now. I do wish that the accumulative MPG figures were more accurate. I record those from the car computer and then my spread sheet makes a calculation based on the actual fuel used & miles traveled and the actuals are always less than the car computer calculates. It really could be closer.

9. Philosophe

Philosophe 2010 Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very useful (when using L/100Km instead of MPG) (fuel consumption: gas per distance; instead of the weird US distance per gas measurement).

0 L/100km: Engine is off (at 72km/h or less) or not turning without burning gas (at more than 72 km/h)
    2-4L/100km on the highway, going into heretical mode
    7.5-10 L/100km: brisk acceleration without going into PWR zone
    10 L/100km upper limit: innefficient acceleration into or over the PWR zone, may be anywhere between 10 and ~35 L/100km...

With the instant fuel consumption gauge, I can confirm very quickly when I glide: the indicator falls instantly to 0.

Also, while coasting, I know when the engine is warming itself up (1-2 L/100km) or charging the batteries (~5 L/100km).

Maybe it's only me, but I can't understand the concept of "infinite miles per gallon" when you glide. Totally counter intuitive.

Due to the nature of the MPG beast (US MPG or Japan km/L). Doesn't react this way on the rest of Earth.

10. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I look forward to being able to track fuel efficiency as Liter per 100 km or gallon per 100 mi, just like the rest of the world.

11. bigdog1234

bigdog1234 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I agree. I think the instantaneous mpg read-out is what I use most, and is also how I determine when I'm powering off of the battery and not the ICE. .

12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Very useful on the Prius and non-hybrid cars as well, when they are so equipped. I use it in conjunction with the HSI indication and find that combination far better than what we had with the Gen2.

13. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I like it. I wouldn't want something that only lights up every 5 years telling me to change the 12v battery.

14. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can see most of you are big fans of the instant MPG gauge. I did some checking and found a good article on the use of the HSI (what I called the CHG/ECO/PWR graphic). Here's the link if you'd like to get a further understanding of its use:
    HSI
    Personally, I've had instant MPG readouts on prior cars and found toggling to the AVG MPG much more useful. I know we have that below the HSI...I'm not sure if CONS. means "constant" or "consistent" MPG, but it's the same idea. Again, since the HSI tells me as much as the instant MPG, I'd rather have a gauge that told me the health of my starting battery. Without that information, you could get stuck in the middle of nowhere after a few years of 12v battery wear.

15. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The CONS means consumption.

16. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You may already be aware of this but in case you haven't run across it yet - the 12V battery doesn't actually start the ICE. It's function is to power things when the car is in the Acc or On modes, i.e. not in Ready. When you do go to Ready the 12V battery supplies the computer and closes the relays that apply power to the inverters from the traction battery. Once the traction battery is on-line it supplies everything and charges the 12V battery as well. The ICE is started by MG1.

A couple of 6V dry cells in series would do the job with power to spare. In fact you could use them as a backup and just hook them to the jumper connection in the under hood fuse box.

I will probably replace my 12V battery after 4 or 5 years to be on the safe side, I hate to be stranded also. I will most likely use one of these: 12 Volt (12v) Toyota Prius Auxilary Battery for 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 with installation kit The OEM 12V battery from the dealers is a rip off.

17. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, like RPM - would be even more useful...

18. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I honestly love the instantaneous MPG meter. It helps me see how economically I am driving at that VERY moment. Lets me also see how warmed up my engine is depending on how many MPG's I'm getting. Not to mention, if I'm at highway speeds sometimes I can't tell if my engine is on or off. When I see that MPG meter at 100, I'm for sure it's off. I like it.

19. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The HSI is a representation of power requested, and likely a reasonably "stable" fuel flow. Thus, the same power requested at higher speeds will translate to higher MPG as you're going faster for the same fuel consumed.

Many could do some math on it, but it's a lot easier to have a rough estimation w/ the instant gauge.

20. F512M

F512M Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's great. It helps me keep my foot off the pedal. :)