1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does anyone here have Package #1???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tracysbeans, Dec 28, 2005.

1. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I really want to get a Prius so I joined this forum someone reccomended. The Prius price is alot more than I was orginally planning on spending on a car. I can get a 06 Ford Focus for just $13,000 OTD. I just want a Prius though. :unsure:

My problem though is now after joining this forum it seems like everyone her has there Prius all pimped out with all the options.

Is there ANYONE on this forum who has a Package #1 and is ok with it?

Please let me know. Right now the car would already be costing me $24,000 OTD so I don't want to have to add on thousands more unless I absolutley should.

First let me tell you what I'm not into:

FM radio is fine by me. Mine will have a DVD but I won't use it because I don't buy DVDs. I just like listening to the radio and most times I don't even listen to a radio.

I don't like leather seats so fabric is fine by me.

I think the navigation system would be SO cool but I don't want to pay $7,000 to get that.

I just don't want to buy a Package #1 and regret it later on. :huh:

So does anyone have Package #1???

I appreciate any help!

2. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1 GY $650
    • Driver & front passenger seat-mounted side and front & rear side
    (unchanged) curtain airbags

2 HE $825
    • Backup Monitor
    • smart Key system
    • MP3/WMA playback capability, and auxiliary audio input miniplug

3 HF $1,475
    • Driver & front passenger seat-mounted side and front & rear side curtain airbags
    • Backup Monitor
    • smart Key system
    • MP3/WMA playback capability, and auxiliary audio input miniplug

I would say that the smart key system and the backup monitor are well worth the extra $175.

The leap up to a package 3 would also be worth it to me for the front & rear airbags for safety reasons. I would really try to stretch for the additional $825 to get them.

I just don't think package one makes sense. On the other hand, I don't know what packages are available in your area. Even so, I would go out of area if need be.

3. QED

QED New Member

I don't see anything wrong with Package#1.

I'm getting a #3, but I also wanted the Smart Key, but I don't want or need the upgraded audio. If the Smart Key was not an option, I would have gotten #1. It's really personal preference.

4. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I keep on hearing about this Smart Key. Is it REALLY that great to have?

So I would be ok with just going to Package #2? I guess for $175 more I will do that. I just hope they have Package #2 available. I can deal with $175 but not almost a thousand more.

5. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

YES! I love my SKS

my dad has an '04 and I continually curse and swear at his car, cause it doesn't recognize me. Its annoying. I come up to my car, hands full, stick a FINGER into the door and he instantlly sasy Hey its you *unlocks all doors* his car, fiddle for the keys and hit the button, usually twice.

that and I'm a lazy sob, I let my car run sometimes when people (family members) are outside and just take my keys with me. Want to go in the car and take it for a drive, fine but its ONE WAY.

6. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

What do you mean by it's ONE WAY? How would they even be able to get in the car to drive it?

So do you think I'm ok with Package #2 then? If so will I be able to find a Package #2?

What happens if you lose the FOB :huh:

Thanks for your help with this! I don't want to regret what I buy after the fact.

7. Springtime

Springtime Member

Depending upon your location you may be able to get a lot more for the same money if you are interested in a left over 2005 and you are good at negotiating. My top of the line 2005 pkg #6 with Nav after I take into account the fed tax credit in 2006, a PA rebate and some serious negotiating off of MSRP will come in under $24K ( and that includes tax and tags!). Of course I will not see the $3150 tax credit until I file my 2006 taxes in 2007, so my out of pocket will be about $28K until I get all the refunds and tax credits back.

I could have easily gotten a 2005 pkg#4 for $23K + tax and tags. By delaying the purchase until 1/2/06 the tax credit would have further reduced the total price to just over 20K.

Know what is the most you are willing to pay for a 2006 and then take a look at their left over 2005's and make an offer and see what they say. The dealers in my area are getting desperate to get rid of the 2005's because all of the 2006's are coming in. They will check other dealer's stock and swap for the car you want to make the sale. You could easily get $1000 to $2000 off of MSRP if the dealer is afraid he will loose the sale.

Dealers are also afraid that you will travel 50 miles to get a better deal and they are discounting the 2006's $300 - $500 to get your business. Dealers want you to think they are in short supply, but, a quick check of the dealer on line inventories indicates that dealers in Eastern PA each have 5 to 30 cars sitting on their lots right now!

I considered the possibility that the on line inventories were already spoken for, however, the 2005 my dealer is holding for me until 1/2/06 he did not add to his on line inventory - and that leads me to believe that those on line inventories are available on a first come first served basis.

If you don't mind taking a 2005 - it would not hurt to make an offer on one.

Springtime

8. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    She means that IF she left it running and someone got in and drove it---then turned it off wherever they were going---they wouldn't be able to re-start it, since she kept the key. But you CAN drive them without the key, once they're started.

Since I don't care that much about the side curtain air bags, I wanted a #2, because I'm spoiled rotten with the SKS (most of us are). But the nearest #2-selling dealer to me is 1,000 miles! So I'm settling for a #3.

Recommend you go to buyatoyota and see where the nearest #2s and 3s are to you.

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think that if you are going to have people in the back seat regularly particularly if there are children you need the rear side air bags. The only other thing that I would get is the VSC. It is too bad that you can not get things ala carte. I like the gadgets and could afford them, but the only really important thing is safety for you and yours. The rest is unimportant.

10. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I only have 1 child and she is 18 and off driving her own car ;)

What is an VSC??

I could afford the Package #8 with my income it's just right now I have other things I want to do with my money. (working on paying off my business mortgage cause I HATE paying interest on anything :rolleyes: )

11. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

hi tracy! i'm a FWer too - I just avoid the hybrid threads because Manuel doesn't care what anybody says, and EricGo is much more eloquent than I anyway.

If the money isn't an issue, I'd get a package 4, just because of the added safety features. VSC is something like Vehicle Stability Control (nobody shoot me, just correct if needed) and it's supposed to help you come out of a skid safely - does some amazing things to the mortality rates in accidents. When money isn't a problem, I don't think you should nix the extra safety features

12. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Yeah that manuel guy is crazy :rolleyes:

WAIT! But money IS an issue for me at this moment in time! So it's buy a lesser package OR I have to wait to take care of other things I'm doing at this moment with my money. I just want to buy now though instead of waiting B)

Edited to add: If I didn't have my money going in a difference direction right now I would probably go with Package #8. That would sure (I'm sure) be cool to have that navigation sytem! :p

13. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

vsc is vehicle stability control.

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i have pak #1 and sure would have loved other wing dingy's... but didnt get em... i got portable GPS... through Mac laptop, CANVIEW... AIC ipod interface... but could live without that stuff... i suppose...then again, not having to haul around 300 CD's is kinda nice...

15. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Ok so you are ok without having the SKS????

I figured I could add on some things to my Prius later on to when my money isn't so tied up. Looks like you added some nice cool things to your Prius! What color did you go with?

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sure im ok with it... never had it on any other car before... so its not like i miss it... would have been cool but at the time, it was take what i got or wait at least 2 more weeks probably 4... i had already waited 6½ months!!

17. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

That's how I was thinking before I came on Priuschat. :blink:

I figured I have been driving for years without even air conditioning in my cars. So anything above that would be very noticeable to me. LOL

Now I come on Priuschat and see the BIG Package #s in the signatures. I think if I stick around her and listen to people talk about their options I will eventually regret not getting them. :(

18. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    if you got the money, go for it. they are definitely cool options to have. also the side airbags are beyond cool... now you are talking about the welfare of your family.

19. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have a 2005 #1 and I am fine with it.

I don't feel I am missing out not having the smart key. Putting the fob in the slot is fine with me. in fact I kinda like it in that I don't have to worry about where my keys are as I NEED them to start the car. I physically have to have them in my hand. So I don't have to get in the car, it won't start and then think Okay...where are they?

I don't feel I am missing the NAV either. I mostly drive where I know I'm going. If I have to travel a distance I use Mapquest. I don't vacation in my car so needing to find a McDonald's in a strange city isn't a priority for me.

Likewise listening to one CD at a time is just fine with me. And I understand the one CD players are less likely to break than the ones with the 6CD changer.

The one thing I might have wanted was the special braking thing, but I live in So. Cal and I don't get ice on the roads and even rain isn't that bad so I'm Okay with not having it.

Could I have bought a #6? Yes. I chose not to. Maybe I'll get a full blown, bells and whistles, package in a few years when they've re-designed the Prius but for now I'm fine with what I have and don't feel the need to trade up.

BTW my old car had leather seats and I've decided I don't want leather any more based on the great fabric in the Prius. Leather is cold in the winter and burns in the summer. I don't miss it except for the steering wheel. I have wheelskins on my wheel so I'm fine there too.

I do LOVE my hatchback. The most intelligently designed hatch I've ever owned.

And I LOVE to drive my Prius. I'm spoiled by the HSD and can't conceive of going back to a conventional car every again.

20. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Ok your post is VERY helpful. I guess there are very few on here who have #1. I suppose many who get the Prius like all the bells and whistles.

You say this:

Ok you say you don't have the Smart Key. So you have regular keys then with a botton you push to open the door like my daughter has on her Lancer? I'm confused by what your saying because you say you put the FOB in the slot. I though a FOB was something you only had with the SKS?????

One more question. What's so unique about the hatchback as compared to other cars with a hatchback?

Tracy