1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does anyone know if there's an....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by New Revelation, Oct 11, 2006.

1. New Revelation

New Revelation The Master Captain

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    ......option on the Prius to where you can show or display the range in miles, like an approximate amount before running on E? I noted in many other vehicles that you can display that information to know how far you can possibly go before you have to refill.

I would be kinda surprised that the Prius would not have this function. Kinda like a range of miles where it shows an estimate of miles after a fill up and goes down as you drive. I know some SUV models had that feature.

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hopeful Future Prius Owner @ Oct 11 2006, 11:23 PM) [snapback]331543[/snapback]</div>
    Not that I've seen on an '05 or '06. The 'consumption' screen will show you how far you've gone and your mileage since the last fill up if you don't reset it, so I normally go by that.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dist. To Empty or DTE. Nope, that doesn't exist on our cars.

4. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's great that they didn't put that or else many of us would PUSH our cars to the limits (and a few of those many will end up with dead batteries).

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, the problem with the Prius (over other cars) is the wide variability in the mileage. Imagine getting home with it saying you have 10 miles left (based on your average mileage of 50MPG). In the morning when the car is warming up and you're only getting 25 MPG, your range is greatly reduced... however the previous evening the car didn't know that, and you may be in for a bit of surprise when the car runs out of gas.

More traditional cars gennerally don't vary as much. for example, a truck, which may have such an indicator, May be limited in the 8-13 MPG range, so saying there's 10 miles left will be a lot more accurate than it would be for the prius.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If you want that just get a "Scangauge II". For $169 it'll give you that and a lot more.

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Has something to do, too, with the design of the tank and the bladder and how the car never really knows exactly how much fuel is in there in the first place...doesn't it...?

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    John1701a suggests doing the math using your current average mpg and assuming a 9 gallon total capacity. This will give you an idea how much gas you have left.

The caveat, of course, as Eagle points out above, is that conditions cause large swings in mpg. So knowing how much gas you have left is not the same as knowing how many miles you can drive. Are you headed up into the mountains? Are you coming down out of the mountains? Is it 40 below zero or 80 above? Etc.

I just fill up whenever the last pip blinks, or sooner if convenient.

9. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It would be a nice feature!Maybe then i wouldnt be so chicken and try for the 700 miles a tank club without running out of gas :lol: