1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does anyone know *why* the Prius beeps in reverse?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by teyde, Sep 16, 2007.

1. teyde

teyde New Member

Hi. I have seen numerous posts where people ask how to turn off the reverse beep, and equally many to describe how.

But does anyone actually know why Toyota decided to add that sound? So far I have only seen speculations.

And why can't Prii owners outside of North America turn off their beeps?

2. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't mind the beep because then I KNOW I am in reverse - at least once during the first week I thought I was in reverse & wasn't. Fortunately no harm done. Yes, it can be a little annoying sometimes, but I use it to remind me that I really am in that gear. I wish the beep were audible outside the car, too, as a warning to others that don't notice the back-up lights.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Grandma Judy @ Sep 16 2007, 08:42 PM) [snapback]513469[/snapback]</div>
    You can install a beeper attached to the wires that turn on the back-up lights in the taillights. It's faint but can be heard both outside and inside the car. I did this and then disabled the regular beep as it was very annoying having two.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It beeps in reverse because of the non-standard transmission making it easy to shift into the wrong gear. Also it was easy to implement with the existing electronics. I have no idea why it can't be turned off elsewhere, although I always suspect legal issues in a situation like this.

Tom

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Thomas Eyde @ Sep 16 2007, 06:32 PM) [snapback]513464[/snapback]</div>
    Because the shifter returns to its position, there isn't a "double check" for those that aren't used to looking at the dashboard for the shift indicator, hence the reverse beep.

As for the disabling function, I have no idea.

6. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 16 2007, 08:52 PM) [snapback]513473[/snapback]</div>
    Great idea! Did you post details on how you did this elsewhere (can you provide a link to the thread?)? Thanks.

7. teyde

teyde New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 17 2007, 05:41 AM) [snapback]513511[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. This is the usual answer presented elsewhere, too. Is this the official reason, too?

This reasoning makes sense to some people, while others, like me, thinks this is utter nonsense. Being in the nonsense category, it's frustrating to know I can't disable the beep when my Prius finally arrives in a month.

For anyone interested, I think the logic is flawed. However, I can see one good reason for a warning: There is nothing mechanical that stops me from putting the car in reverse. But wouldn't it suffice to issue the warning when we hold the shifter in the R-position, and turn it off when we release it?

8. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 17 2007, 05:41 AM) [snapback]513511[/snapback]</div>
    I don't understand the logic behind this. First, they make this tiny shifter that is so easy to put in reverse and that doesn't show you the current position. And then, they make this very annoying sound to remind you that you are in reverse?
    Personally, I would prefer a shifter that does show its position (and perhaps some more force feedback), without the annoying sound.

9. silver-machine

silver-machine New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I know this is unpopular, but I respect the reverse beep.
    It is a useful reminder of the quiet, and smooth behaviour of the car. And yes once I put it into reverse by mistake and it prompted me that I had before I backed into the bollard behind.

10. teyde

teyde New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silver-machine @ Sep 17 2007, 11:42 AM) [snapback]513592[/snapback]</div>
    I can see that. But I think the beep is solving the wrong problem, and that coming from Toyota is quiet surprising. The shifter should have been designed to make this mistake harder or impossible to do.

11. skandale

skandale Member

I currently have a Peugeot 1007 with the3 2Tronic semi-automatic gearbox. It's a manual gearbox with electronic clutch and electronic gear shift. All i have is a little stick in the centre console and paddles at the wheel. It's kind of like the same as BMW's SMG gearbox, but muuuuuch slower and simpler.

The gear shifter always returns to it's neutral position and the only indicators of your shifting to reverse is one small beep and a R on the instrumentation. You really should know that you put your car in reverse.

As for remembering that you actually have your Prius in reverse, when you ease up in the brake pedal, the car starts to pull backwards. This should give you a hint. I NEVER let go from the brake and floor the throttle, so I would never jump meters backwards if I should fail to change to Drive.

I believe that the beeps would make more sense on the outside than on the inside.

-Stein

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The beeper in reverse reminds me that the car may be silent when reversing and therefore audibly invisible to pedestrians, therefore I must be extra vigilant when reversing. Maybe that is why the beep is there. It bothered me at first but now I like it.

13. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HTTP 404 Not Found

14. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the beep, it reminds me where I am going.

15. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(catgic @ Sep 17 2007, 02:36 PM) [snapback]513618[/snapback]</div>
    Why didn't they make a shift lever that does indicate what position it is on in the first place? Shouldn't be too hard. It doesn't make sense to me that they compensate an imperfect design with an annoying beep signal...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michgal007 @ Sep 17 2007, 02:47 PM) [snapback]513622[/snapback]</div>
    I can imagine that some people like it. Others, like me, don't like it. In 21th century cars, there is a nice solution this dilemma: make it an option you can disable or enable.
    If they really want, they can add a security warning that you have to acknowledge before disabling it.

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michgal007 @ Sep 17 2007, 08:47 AM) [snapback]513622[/snapback]</div>
    You need a beeper to warn you about hills! :p

Tom

17. redrockprius

redrockprius redrockprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Thomas Eyde @ Sep 16 2007, 07:32 PM) [snapback]513464[/snapback]</div>
    To provide a recurring topic on Prius forums?

18. MHarris

MHarris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 16 2007, 10:41 PM) [snapback]513511[/snapback]</div>
    I saw a completely self-contained backup warning beeper at the dealers a few weeks ago. It has it's own battery, and is activated by a photosensitive element (picking up the backup lights). It sticks on, and is cheap (probably in every sense of the word), but clever.

MH

19. acdii

acdii Active Member

If anyone has noticed. The ICE will not run in reverse, unless the battery is very low, or the car was just turned on. The ICE has no means of powering the car in reverse, it is truly electric only. If your car is warmed up and you have it in reverse by mistake, which I have done a couple times, dont ask how, it is a way of alerting you that it is in reverse. Most people pull IN to a parking place(reason I wound up in reverse), so if you forget to press park, you roll forward against the stops. If you previously drove a regular shift style car where you moved the lever into park, and move the shifter into reverse in this car, you know you dont have it in park. Thats my take on it.

20. teyde

teyde New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedRockPrius @ Sep 17 2007, 05:09 PM) [snapback]513695[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I know. I am terribly sorry about that. My intention was not to start yet another thread on how to disable it or how to install an outside beeper.

It's just that there are so many suggestions on why the beep is there, but no explanation on why Toyota added the feature in the first place. There are so many things they got right in this car, so why they made this bummer is a mystery to me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ACD @ Sep 17 2007, 07:48 PM) [snapback]513793[/snapback]</div>
    If I forget to press 'Park', does it matter which way the car will roll? I will bump into something, anyway. If I stop while in 'Drive', I get no warning. while in 'Reverse' I do. I fail to see the logic here.

I have read "The Prius That Shook The World", which tells the tale about the development of the car. Funny it doesn't mention the beep.