1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does anyone know....?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by smtrader, Nov 21, 2004.

1. smtrader

smtrader Member

Just wondering if anyone know....

1. Where is the outside temperature sensor for the car? And how does it really work? It seems to me that the "temperature outside" on my screen is cooler than what I feel when I step out of the car.

2. Should I remove the CD from the CD player when I switch over to the radio? Or is leaving it in there ok without damaging either the CD or the player in the long run?

3. I accidentally left my car "on" for 3 hours yesterday (I hit Park but forgot to hit the Power button). I was showing some curious friends about the car, stepped outside, and left..it was in a parking lot. Everything seem ok when I returned! My question is: When the car is in "Park", the only energy being used is to keep the LCD screen on...which is not that much electricity and no gasoline is being burnt, so how long could the car be left in that state? (not that I would again, but just curious). :roll:

Thanks....Brian

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1) Check the side windows for little dots and such. I remembered our 2000 Corolla had the little dots embedded into the rear window and the rear (right?) side window that take the outside temperature. I have to yet to look for those in the Prius. Unless Toyota used another sensor.

2) Leaving the CD in there should be fine. It does get hot if you park it in the sun for some time during the summer. But overall it should be ok. Unless anyone else in this forum has objections

3) The engine will just come on and off from time to time to do checks and to warm itself. Once warm, it'll shut off again. I think those cases where the HV battery drained is when valets put on the foot brake but left the car in drive and hence the battery is still sending power to the generator to the wheels.

3. altaskier

altaskier New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(smtrader\";p=\"51995)</div>
    When the car is left on and in park, the display screen will run, and also the climate control system (e.g., heat and air conditioning). The electricity in the Prius ultimately comes from burning gas (regenerative braking, and running the engine for battery charging as well as propulsion). Depending on the elecrical load, the engine may come on from time to time to recharge the battery while it's sitting there in "Park".

4. prius04

prius04 New Member

RE temperture: In my old BMW the sensor was in the front bumper hidden from the sun. Thus, when I idled for awhile, I'd get a falsely high temp due to engine heat.

It seems to me that putting it in the window would cause it to be adversely affected by sunlight.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But wouldn't the computer take the average of all the sensors so that sun heating one (or two) sides of the car won't give an abnormally high reading?

6. prius04

prius04 New Member

Why would Toyota use more than a single sensor? It's only measuring the temperture.

It' not a critical function.

7. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) OAT (Outside Air Temperature) on my Prius always reports within 1-3º of what the news/weather radio is reporting. I am also curious about where the sensor is located.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius04\";p=\"52024)</div>
    Well, if they didn't, then what you said would be true. If one side is facing the sun, then it would adversely affect the reading. I know our 2000 Corolla had the two sets of 'dots' two different windows. Otherwise, the best place to look is in the technical/repair manual and/or ask a technician. :)

9. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    1. Where is the outside temperature sensor for the car? And how does it really work? It seems to me that the "temperature outside" on my screen is cooler than what I feel when I step out of the car.

I believe there is one sensor and it is on the dashboard near the window. I believe it is on the driver's side and looks like a small semi-sphere coming up from the corner of the dash.

2. Should I remove the CD from the CD player when I switch over to the radio? Or is leaving it in there ok without damaging either the CD or the player in the long run?

I've been know to leave CDs in the player for a month or more (even in the summer) with no problems to the CD (we have some really good radio stations here!).

3. I accidentally left my car "on" for 3 hours yesterday (I hit Park but forgot to hit the Power button). I was showing some curious friends about the car, stepped outside, and left..it was in a parking lot. Everything seem ok when I returned! My question is: When the car is in "Park", the only energy being used is to keep the LCD screen on...which is not that much electricity and no gasoline is being burnt, so how long could the car be left in that state? (not that I would again, but just curious). :roll:

It would depend on a lot of things, but eventually the gas engine would kick on for longer periods of time as the electric battery is drained of power. One time I had reason to sit in my car for an hour while it idled (long boring story), and I watched the battery slowly drain, the ICE would turn on to recharge. It just continued to recycle itself this way. A lot of factors could increase the drain time, especially if the A/C was on.

I hope that helps!

10. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the temp sensor on the Prius is behind the front bumper and just to the right of the frame horn on the drivers side of the car. It is at time inaccurate, eg. if you drive into a parking stall in the summer and the asphalt is really hot it'll heat soak the sensor and give an erroneous reading. The bulb on the dash is connected to the A/C system and is use to gauge the heat from the sun to tell the A/C what to do when in auto mode. It say's in the manual not to cover it up as the A/C won't work properly.

11. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

also the OAT is adjustable with the dealer scan tool if it's really out the dealer can adjust it up or down. I do believer there is a 5 deg adjustment either way.