1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does anyone own a Zune?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Jun 27, 2007.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Or know of someone who owns a Zune? Is it too zoon to tell? Does it zuck?(brought to you from Craig Ferguson).

2. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I know someone who owns one and is frustrated at the lack of what it can do. She got it for Christmas and I think she wishes she got an iPod instead.

iPods are just flat out better right now and have a much better range of accessories (like chargers and stereos) specifically designed for the devices. Plus Apple devices are notoriously easy to use and (I guess) stylish.

Also, I have little doubt that it will be Apple, not Microsoft who pioneers downloadable TV/movies/rentals with their Apple TV effort. Thus, iPods will widen their lead in the video space soon.

In short, Apple owns the digital entertainment domain right now.

Zune is simply a weak (though expensive) immitator, struggling to catch up to what Apple produced. I wouldn't even consider buying a Zune until, perhaps, they improve on the wireless functionality to do something like get it to play on your car stereo without having to plug it in (which I hope Microsoft will do with the "Synch" technology they're developing for Ford).

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    thats a good analysis, BB.

FWIW, i think Apple is already on the cusp of the downloadable TV/movie/rental space. Everything is there except the quality - an upgrade to the Apple TV for better support and an improvement on their downloads (i'm thinking an option to pick the screen size) would get them there.

The wireless functionality you're talking about would be awesome in any music player. It really comes down to both sides being able to do it though - the device has to be able to stream (like the iPhone can), and the car has to be able to receive it (i don't think any car can now). If Microsoft and Ford come out with something that can do it, you'd better believe that the rest of the auto manufacturers won't be far behind - although i would bet they would opt for a more generic bluetooth solution, opening it up to multiple devices, including the iPhone.