1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does bad wheel hub damages ABS pump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mikash Kumar, Nov 22, 2022.

1. Mikash Kumar

Mikash Kumar New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, Im from Fiji Islands and we don't have an expert, Prius Mechanic. Recently my 2008 Model prius had the ABS pump problem, therefore i got it replaced now the mechanic says that the rear wheel hub is also damaged. i believe he is correct since i can hear the humming noise, but he tells me that this could harm the ABS pump. please if anyone could let me know if this statement is true?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I don't see how the humming of a bad or failing rear wheel bearing or any hub bearing could cause your ABS pump to fail that is as ridiculous as it sounds now if the hub bearing failed and the wheel fell off and it damaged some of the hydraulics and the pump continued to run and then died and then and then and then well then technically letting the bearing go caused all the failure that made the ABS pump go but we are stretching things way out to left field here.

Mikash Kumar likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A bad hub can cause the ABS warning light to come on, but the warning light then won't be telling you about a pump or actuator problem. It will be telling you about the hub problem.

The warning light has a hundred or so different reasons it can come on. That's why it's important to look at the trouble code to see what it's on to tell you about.

4. Mikash Kumar

Mikash Kumar New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your expert response.
    I have replaced the entire ABS pump (which cost me $1500) now I have the old pump laying in my store room. is it of any use?

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, there is a possible grain of truth in that. You can have a problem with the wheel speed sensor or the "tone ring" (part of the rear wheel bearing- hub assembly) that causes the wheel speed signal to be erratic. The ABS can falsely activate during almost every stop, which can lead to parts wearing our sooner. But you would see the "slip" indicator on the dashboard.

If you don't have warning lights on, then just deal with the hub because it's worn and noisy. (can't say that I have seen a bad REAR wheel bearing on a Toyota but it can happen).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#5 mr_guy_mann, Nov 24, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Rear right was the first to go on my Gen 1, followed by left front a few years later. Probably just depends.