1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does Bluetooth require a working Nav?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jefe, Sep 10, 2010.

1. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi folks..

I'm a new (used) Prius owner. My 2005 has Nav but lacks a disc (should be on the way). I have noticed that my bluetooth connects fine to my phone but it doesn't actually work. That is, the buttons on the steering wheel seem to do nothing, and while I can "answer" a call from the touch screen, I can't hear the caller, nor the caller hear me.

I was wondering if the bluetooth functionality relies on a DVD disc being in the nav. And if not, any other suggestions for tracking down the cause of this?

2. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    It shouldn't affect the BT... but looking at some other threads, it seems like there is a possibility.

Although they are separate systems, they do use the same speaker and mic. Somewhere in the MFD system, something is controlling what audio goes to the speaker, and where the audio from the mic goes. It is possible that the system is in a condition where it will never reassign the resources from Nav to BT, because there is no disc and the nav unit is hung up. This would be a bug, but it probably never showed up in testing because I doubt they spent much effort testing what happens when the disc is not inserted.

You could try disconnecting the nav unit and seeing if your troubles continue. That configuration would be the same as my 2009. You should get a message saying "the external system is not connected" if you press the map button.

ETA: This doesn't explain the steering wheel buttons. But again I think the system is in a condition that the programmers and testers didn't spend much, if any, effort on.

3. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI in case anyone finds themselves in the same situation. I finally got my nav disc and sure enough steering wheel bt buttons work now.