1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does bush say "nucular" on purpose?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Jan 10, 2007.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Suposably, someone has informed him of the correct pronunciation, no?

2. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jan 10 2007, 09:29 PM) [snapback]373899[/snapback]</div>
    Old habits ...

3. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jan 10 2007, 06:29 PM) [snapback]373899[/snapback]</div>
    I never assume anything. I ask, by the way has anyone taught you how to use a spell-checker or a dictionary? [attachmentid=6217]

Wildkow [attachmentid=6216]

Attached Files:

4. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jan 10 2007, 06:29 PM) [snapback]373899[/snapback]</div>
    My recollection was that Jimmy Carter pronounced it the same way -- and he even served in the "nucular" navy.

5. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This question compelled this scholarly examination back in 2002.

It's amazing what bits of fluff can command attention even as the ceiling is caving in.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Before I read the 'scholarly examination', I want to put my 2 cents in.

I think it was, initially, a combination of ignorance and Texan that caused him to mispronounce. I'm also quite sure that one of his handlers informed him of the proper pronunciation.

Somewhere one of two things happened (in my speculation). Either, one of the handlers thought it made him seem/sound more like 'one of the people' to keep the 'down home' sound to the word and thus told him to keep it. OR, they thought it would make for too much publicity for him to suddenly 'change course'....instead they/he chose to 'stay the course', like with so many other things in his time in office, despite the fact that it is obviously wrong to so many. This is due to the juvenile fear that admitting a mistake might make him look weak....instead refusing to do so makes him look stupid and stubborn. Again, an oft repeated theme in this president.

7. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jan 10 2007, 09:29 PM) [snapback]373899[/snapback]</div>
    Do you taunt those with speech impediments often?

8. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Remember, he was a "C" student. ;)

9. ctmurray

ctmurray Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jan 10 2007, 09:27 PM) [snapback]373928[/snapback]</div>
    I read that he does this on purpose to be one of the people. He has said it correctly on occasion.

10. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jan 10 2007, 10:27 PM) [snapback]373928[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, but I'll bet it was done very carefully and tactfully. I read somwhere it's rumored that Bush doesn't take corrections very well and his past demeanor and actions wouldn't indicate otherwise.

11. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jan 10 2007, 08:29 PM) [snapback]373899[/snapback]</div>
    Remember when Pres. Jimmy Carter warned us about "nooklah war"?

12. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jan 10 2007, 07:27 PM) [snapback]373928[/snapback]</div>
    Dr. Fusco, do you think there's any validity to the idea that speech patterns are often formed at a young age, and things such as certain word pronunciations can be very hard for a person to change, even if they wanted to? Is there a reason that learning a new language is more difficult for adults than it is for children?

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cam @ Jan 10 2007, 10:45 PM) [snapback]373945[/snapback]</div>
    Because all us people are too stupid to know how to pronounce it correctly? Or we're too stupid to notice?

Personally, I don't like the person representing my country's highest office to sound like an idiot.

Or act like an idiot.

Or be an idiot.

(Don't blame me. I didn't vote for him. Twice.)

14. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Could be a simple lack of higher education in the sciences?

Then again when your daddy says crap like this:

"Christopher Columbus not only opened the door to a New World, but also set an example for us all by showing what monumental feats can be accomplished through perseverance and faith."
    --George H.W. Bush, 1989 speech

Its to be expected right?

15. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(huskers @ Jan 10 2007, 10:41 PM) [snapback]373943[/snapback]</div>
    He was a C student, but I'll bet you he did almost none of the work to get passed. He has family recognition, daddy was a Yalee grad., and him an Kerry both partied a lot. I read an article about Bush & Yale that stated Waah was well liked, partied regularly, and was a C student. I'd love to see a few research papers he supposedly turned in. I won't believe Waah did any of them if they even remotely look intelligent and well organized.

16. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jan 10 2007, 10:26 PM) [snapback]373965[/snapback]</div>
    I certainly believe that is a valid suggestion, but if you take the time to read the link above my first post (the scholarly examination) it's fairly enlightening that such patterns would be consistant across the board for similar words. Nuclear is not a difficult word to pronounce and we have other words in the English language of similar spelling and pronounciation that the president pronounces correctly.

Should he chose to fix his mistaken pronunciation I'm sure he could...or at least I'd hope he'd be capable of such a small thing.

The Jimmy Carter pronunciation is also mentioned in that little article and was felt to be purely his Georgian accent.

17. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Jan 10 2007, 11:03 PM) [snapback]373954[/snapback]</div>
    Don't forget- all of the higherups read off a teleprompter that is in front of them out of our viewing range. Do you think Waah is smart enough to come up with a well thought out speech on his own??

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jan 11 2007, 09:26 AM) [snapback]374059[/snapback]</div>
    Doc, It's obvious that people are hired to high positions and elected offices by who they know and how much $$$ they have. I was contemplating running for a county commissioner's position last year until I found out that to run a bare bones campaign being an unknown would require a minimum of at least $150K and $300K would be much better. We all know how Waah got to where he is.

18. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I guess our President is proof you don't need to buy Verbal Advantage to advance. :D

19. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jan 10 2007, 09:52 PM) [snapback]373912[/snapback]</div>
    I see the attempt at humor was lost on you.

20. jtullos

jtullos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jan 10 2007, 08:26 PM) [snapback]373965[/snapback]</div>
    I think it's a valid idea, but it varies by person. For instance, when I first moved to Nevada, I was saying the name incorrectly. I said it wrong once to a local, they told me the correct pronunciation, and I've said it right since then. My family back in Mississippi still gets it wrong regularly, though they're getting better. For some people, it's a huge deal to say something wrong. It's a big deal to me because very few people get my name right, so I make a point to always switch to the correct pronunciation of something as quickly as possible. But to many people (Bush obviously included), correct pronunciation isn't all that important. I'd rather he focus on more important issues, but it's something that should be easy enough to fix, and then he can then stop insulting our intelligence every time he says it.