1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does cold weather mileage change on non-hybrids?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jgod12, Jan 10, 2010.

1. jgod12

jgod12 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Ok so many of us around the country can feel the cold weather sinking in and killing our gas mileage. I woke up to 13F air this morning and drove 43 miles in it. I can't complain because I'm still averaging 47MPG, I usually average 52-54MPG. Are non-hybrid vehicles also getting lower mileage with all this cold air in place or is it just hybrid cars? What causes the hybrid to get lower gas mileage in the winter? I haven't changed my driving patterens. Is it because I'm running the heater or because it takes longer for the ICE to heat up? I don't noitce the HV battery charging more. Thanks and all stay warm out there.
    :flame:

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, all vehicles will be realizing lower mpg in cold weather. The gasoline engine is less efficient in cold weather. As you use the heater, that takes energy that would otherwise keep the engine warm.

However most cars don't have an average fuel economy gauge staring in your face all the time, so it is not obvious that your mpg has decreased.

Your mpg decreased 10%, from 52 to 47 (which is still remarkable, IMO.) If a regular car at 20 mpg showed a 10% decrease, it would be down to 18 mpg which is not noticeable unless you track your gasoline purchases and odometer readings.

3. jgod12

jgod12 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks Patrick, I can clearly remember the day when I was averaging around 18mpg in my non-hybrid. I couldn't take myself back to those days anymore. I drive all highway and usually maintain a constant speed, very little braking or pressing of the gas too much, keep the heater set around 72degees. Thanks.

4. mike lipke

mike lipke New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "Are non-hybrid vehicles also getting lower mileage with all this cold air?"

Is the Pope Catholic?
    Do bears have fur?

It has been ranging from -20 to +5 here, and my other vehicle has gone from 22mpg to 16.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Absolutely. It was one of the first things I noticed when after starting keeping fuel logs decades ago.

In addition to what Patrick mentioned, winter gasoline blends normally have lower energy density than summer blends. And colder air is more dense, causing more air drag on the highway, and reduced efficiency in throttle-controlled engines. The later is more significant in traditional Otto-cycle engines (fixed valve timing) than in the Atkinson-cycle engines (variable valve timing) found in today's good hybrids.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Of course it does... but most people are totally unaware.

Having a display that so readily make that data available is very much a mixed blessing. That information can be empowering and at the same time disheartening. I've got spreadsheets from the early 90's (download xls, note the tabs at the bottom) that clearly show my '84 Omni affected by the seasons.

The cycle of MPG up's & down's is nothing new. But when gas was cheap, few cared. Even now, some are still enjoying the bliss of ignorance.

7. abra

abra Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I can answere this:D

92' Ford Bronco FullSize with 302/auto
    mod for higher mpg (factory 10/14, now 16/22:D)
    Towing a 3500lbs trailer 600miles at 65mph i was getting 14mpg temp around 80F

This week
    Temp around 0F
    10mpg:eek:
    also been using the 4x4 system due to 20+inches of snow we have recieved since 12/24/09

I would have to say YES cold does matter.

Im really missing my prius now, ill take 32mpg during these cold days then 10mph
    My ford heater system sucks takes forever to warm up the cabin.

8. geognerd

geognerd New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Having the fuel economy display really calls your attention to how it is affected by temperature/season. When I was driving my 1996 Corolla, I only noticed it because I kept a record of my fuel economy. Looking back at my fuel records for the Corolla, it looks like I typically was in the lower 30mpg range most of the year, but dropped into the mid-upper 20s in the winter. Can't wait for this cold weather to finish. I have dropped from 55mpg to 41mpg in these single-digit temperatures. I'm eager to find out how much my new tires will affect my fuel economy, but it's hard to do a good comparison due to the impact of the cold weather.