1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does Coolant Storage Tank assembly need replacing?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by William Laven, Jun 23, 2016.

1. William Laven

William Laven New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I got a warning light that the Toyota dealer said indicated that the Coolant Storage Assembly tank had gone bad. It's not leaking, just not working. It's a very expensive fix and in the little bit of research I've done I'm wondering whether it needs to be fixed. My understanding is that it takes warm coolant and stores it in a thermos-like container to stay warm a few days to assist cold starts. However, I live near San Francisco and the weather is very mild here. We might have a few below freezing days in the winter, but for the majority of the year nights are only 50 degrees, and usually only 40 degrees n the winter. So, do I really need this fixed? It seems that since the weather here is so mild it should be fine. BTW, I haven't fixed it since the light went on in January and haven't had any problems starting the car so far.

2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's not all about ambient air temps. The CHRS gives a shot of hot coolant directly to the throttle body. It reduces emissions on start-up.

A problem with leaving the MIL on is you may not know if a more important code comes up.

Salvaged tanks can be had for as low as $200 on eBay, or maybe you can find someone in your area parting out a car. DIY is not too bad on that system. You'd need about $50 in coolant, $25 for a Mini VCI tool. Don't let anyone do the work who is not patient enough to learn how to bleed the coolant system. It's not hard to do right.

3. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do note that there'll be an emissions impact to that, during cold starts. This will also impact fuel economy and potentially even engine longevity.