1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does Gas engine run too much ??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by HAMMER55, Oct 12, 2005.

1. HAMMER55

HAMMER55 New Member

HI Ya'll...(I'm a transplanted Texan..orig from Kansas).

It seems to me that the gas engine comes on too soon during in-town traffic and too much to charge the battery even when its full.

OOOh almost forgot, New owner of a 2005 with smart key and VSC/lights mod.
    since Sept 3rd. Just had the 5000 mile check up done. I'm 58, wife is 51.

Also I read the article about the milage and printed it and gave it to my salesman!

Nice to know there is a place to go for current real-time info...!!

Mike H.

2. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Don't expect to be driving around town on the electric motor all the time. The car doesn't work that way.

In reality, if the engine is warmed up, you can manage to maintain electric only driving only with the lightest touch of the gas pedal. It's suitable only for moving up a car length at a time in a traffic jam.

As soon as you attempt even moderate acceleration, the gas engine will turn on. This is the way everyone's Prius works. (Well almost everyone, since some people have installed a switch that forces it to remain in electric mode, but you can't go far like that).

You will find, however, that the Prius will readily use the electric motors to maintain speed on flat roads when traveling under 42 mph. However it still takes a somewhat light touch of the gas pedal to accomplish this.

When the A/C is on, the Prius seems to be less willing to run on electric only.

3. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I see a different change... When the AC in set at a low temperature (67F) the gas engine does not run as often as when my girlfriend rides with me and sets the cabin temperature to sweltering desert (79F).

Around here, at this time of year, if I set the cabin temp to 73F and stay stopped at a light, the gas ICE will come on. As soon as the ICE is running, I'll adjust the temp to ~70F and the ICE will shut right off.

Try adjusting your temperature to find out where the ICE shuts off. You can sacrifice comfort for efficiency.

4. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Marlin's reply to this question is very clear and helpful and should be handed to all new owners!