1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does installing Rosen head unit void warranty.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Pfcardwell, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Pfcardwell

Pfcardwell New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had a new Rosen head unit installed plus back up camera,
    Does this void the warranty on my new 2011 Priuis? The unit is a perfect match down to color and texture. I post a pic but can't figure out how.

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. The Toyota warranty doesn't cover the Rosen

2. The Toyota warranty doesn't cover any problems caused to the rest of the car caused by the Rosen or it's installation.

Other than that, no effect on the warranty.

There is always some chance that a problem not caused by the Rosen would get blamed on the Rosen, but that's fairly unlikely.

3. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Under US law the dealer needs to prove that the modification caused a problem. Just the fact that you modified the car in someway does not void the warranty.

4. Pfcardwell

Pfcardwell New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's good news. Love the Rosen unit.

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's like saying you are innocent of charges when you get a ticket until proven guilty. Nice theory but the court system doesn't usually work that way.

In reality, if the dealer denies a warranty claim, it is then is up to the owner to prove that the reason the claim was denied was invalid. Firtunately, a dealer isn't very likely to deny a claim because of a modification on an unrelated item

6. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Years ago aftermarket systems only used factory speaker wiring and power. Almost no risk of damaging the car. (Other then obvious physical damage called by a butchered install)

Current installations generally use the factory steering wheel controls. That means the unit is wired (either directly or via an external adapter) into the cars can bus. I can see Toyota blaming the radio for any damage that could have possibly been caused by either the unit or improper installation.I'm not sure what damage would result if their was some kind of short in the wire that connected to the bus (steering wheel control cables).

I don't think the risk is high. Probably worth it to most people in this forum.