1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does it come with day time running lights?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by hptsang, Jun 14, 2009.

1. hptsang

hptsang Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am the type of person that hates daytime running lights. Since almost all the new car comes with daytim running lights now days, so I am pretty sure the 2010 Prius would have them too. Is it possible to disable the daytime running lights?

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Mine did not come with DRLs.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    US versions do not come with DRLs

4. hptsang

hptsang Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am very happy to heard about that

5. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No sense being more visible than you have to be. I guess.:confused:

6. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't understand hatred for Daylight Running Lights.

But what I really don't understand is people who run without their headlights on dark overcast rainy days when most other people have their headlights on. On dark days, you dissapear in a line of cars with headlights on.

7. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    DRL's are like the automatic door locks on various cars. At some point they become a nuisance. (Manual garage doors and automatic car locks are a bad combination.)

For astronomy DRL's are right out. I had to spend some money to have the pins pulled to properly disable the DRL's on my Tundra. Wanted ABS and such, but not the DRL's as it actually made the vehicle unsuitable for hauling my big scope around.

I use my lights like DRL's when they are appropriate for increasing my visibility to others. At other times they are simply a waste of energy.

8. hptsang

hptsang Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I do support the AUTO ON function, but not DRL. Like what someone said , it is a waste of energy. If you are trying to look for something at outdoor while it is sunny outside, will you use a flashlight? If someone need your DRL to increase their visibilty during a sunny day so they know you are around them, then they shouldn't be driving at all ( need to check their eye sight). That is why I said I support the AUTO On when a sensor know you are in a bad weather or driving in a dark area like in parking lot or in tunnel. I just don't support the type or DRL that turns on 100% all the time. And I do hate when ppl don't turn on their lights when it is pouring rain, I will use my blinker to help other to see where I am.

9. dbacksfan

dbacksfan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'm not understanding your argument against DRLs.

I think they assist in being seen, even on very bright days (we get lots of those in Arizona). For example, if I'm looking to make an uprotected left turn, oncoming cars (especially silver, grey, black) with DRLs turned on are much more visible and can be seen from a greater distance. Certain cars seem to blend into the road, even on very bright days where glare is a problem.

Are you saying you turn your on your hazard lights or turn signal indicators? Either way, I think you're sending a misleading signal to others around you. I can see how that would cause others to slow down as they think you are in some type of distress or expect you to make a turn.

I'm not trying to criticize you. Perhaps you have described driving practices that are exercised and followed (in other regions?) of which I am not accustomed.

10. jburns

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    But they are driving. 80 year olds with cataracts. Drunks. Inattentive cell phone users. etc. etc. etc.

11. hptsang

hptsang Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I guess everyone got different point of view for it, I didn't mean to turn this thread from a question kinda into an argument. I guess there are a lot of people that would need it and also a lot of people who don't really need it. DRL is just not my cup of tea, especially for someone like me who are planning to change the low beam into HID (getting Prius 3). It will shorten the lifetime of the bulb since it will be turn on all the time if it does comes with DRL. I guess I wouldn't need to worry about that issue now, since it doesn't have DRL with it.

12. Jay C

Jay C Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My 2 cents. My Wife's Volvo has DRL, she has gone through a lot of replacement headlamps (might be Volvo I do not know). In the case of the Prius, when I turn my lights on, the dash dims a lot and makes it difficult to see the information "at first glance".

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where was DRL "invented"?? I believe it was Sweden.

Take a hint. DRLs work well in northern areas. I agree that I don't see the point of having them if you're in TX or any of the southern states. Once you get up past 50°N, they become useful in the winter when the sun is low on the horizon. Cars become visible with DRLs on (of course it'd be helpful if they had their low beams on in the first place then I can also see the cars in front of me and not just oncoming ones).

14. Hozz

Hozz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Don't make fun of the 80 year olds, if you live long enough you may be 80 some day.

15. wave_slider

wave_slider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's really interesting the DRL's don't come on the Prius. Our guys said that it helps with the energy consumption thus helping MPG's. 90% of the Toyota's we sell come with DRL's and I believe that they help with safety especially on the dark colors that can blend in with roads, landscape, etc...

No DRL's mean you are less visible, so please drive safely.

16. OZ132

OZ132 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  17. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    As far as burning out headlamps or "wasting" power, my DRLs have not resulted in burned out headlamps. In fact, I was just thinking a few days ago about the last headlamp I replaced. It was -25- years ago! All cars I've owned since then have had DRLs. All have been halogen lamps (H4 bulbs).

As the lamps are usually connected in series for DRLs they are run at reduced power. You are probably "wasting" 25-35 watts. This results in no measurable drop in mileage.

I find cars easier to see with DRLs. But I'm old. YMMV. ;)

18. Yaumeister

Yaumeister New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If DRLs are well implemented, like with Audi which uses dedicated LEDs which consumes very very little electricity rather then just dimmed headlamps, then I think they are beneficial.

19. jburns

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Please. A simple statement is not making fun. :rolleyes:

20. hptsang

hptsang Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do you mind if I ask what brand was that bulb you were using for your headlamp? I would be able to save a lot of money if I use it with my Prius or on my other car. I think a lot of people would love to know also.