1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does it matter whether you fill your tank after it's near empty or when it's only 1/2 empty?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, Mar 3, 2012.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    any significant difference with regards to the environment, other than having to go to the gas station 2x as often?

2. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't say if there's a significant difference, but fuel adds weight. The more your vehicle weighs, the more fuel it burns to haul it around.

Less weight = better FE.

3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    voc are released when you fill, so decreasing the numbrer of times you fill the tank slightly decreases pollution. Over filling the tank releases more damage, so topping is bad.

4. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you are going to fill twice as often, wait until empty, then fill 1/2 way.

5. AZGeek

AZGeek Semi-informed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I don't really like going to the gas station so I've tried to do this as little as possible, always waiting for 100 miles or so from when that last fuel bar starts flashing. Even so, there are still times where I only put in 9.5 or 10 gallons, meaning I could have gone another 100 miles before the fill up.

6. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The problem(not really a problem) is I share a car with the in-laws. I drive about 60 mi per week. My in-laws drive about 40 per week. I prefer to fill when the tank is empty. They pre emptively try to fill before I try to fill. I don't want them to pay. They don't want me to pay. They're retired, I'm fully employed, so go figured. So basically it's a game of chicken as to who's going to fill first. I tried to discuss it, with my in-laws, but they don't want to hear it. So my only recourse is to fill it before it drops to the 1/2 tank meter. Anything under, my in-laws will fill it up asap.

7. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. That's a different issue, family. Go ahead and just don't over fill it. You really are causing very little extra pollution to solve this family politics. Let them pay every once in awhile:rolleyes:

8. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The tank is half full, not half empty.

1 person likes this.
  9. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    My filling schedule is very dependent on hurricane season and status. VERY dependent.

10. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In your case, I guess the answer is yes - but only for the HOME environment!:p If it were me, I'd think "free gas!" whoo hoo!!

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    burritos, I understand the situation as i was there when my Grandparents were alive. They aren't going to change & you can't win. Let go of your emotions & enjoy their kindness. Let them know it is appreciated. Maybe you can come to an agreement on a schedule--you fill this Tuesday, I fill next Tuesday.

When I carpooled the agreement was "this week I drive, next week you drive". Miles didn't matter. Days didn't matter. Gallons didn't matter. Fuel economy didn't matter. It worked as long as the timing did. A schedule change ended the carpooling to our mutual regret.

12. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As AG has said, in big industry storage tanks as well as car fuel tanks, the biggest source of pollution is when you fill the tank, the VOC vapors are pushed out (unless there are vapor recovery controls).

Prius is an ultra-clean car so there is vapor recovery and the Gen-II had the bladder flexible gas tank to prevent the vapor releases on fill-up. So for Prius it does not really matter if you fill whole tank or half tank.

Lets instead take the case of a car with no vapor controls. Probably does not matter too much in that case either, but there might be an argument that filling half tanks puts more vapors in the air than waiting for the tank to be empty.

14. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This isn't about environment, even though its a bladder gas tank, calculated mpg is normally the same 5-8% off over MFD but I seem to get better MPG filling up around half -two pips below half of a tank of fuel left. The 2 times I have filled it up on the last pip, I am looking at a 39-41mpg cal. vs the average of 44-46mpg when I fill up sooner.
    Just my 2cents worth..