1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does milleage or age have the greatest effect on battery pack life?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Irishksico, May 31, 2016.

1. Irishksico

Irishksico New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am in the market for a GEN 3 PRIUS to replace my 2005 PRIUS whose battery Pack just died. The PRIUS had just turned over 200,000 miles. I want to purchase a pre-owned PRIUS and our dealer has a 2013 with only 28,000 miles. I would think that would be great for a non-hybrid car. However, my concern is that the battery pack will die due to age long before I put ample miles on the car. Since I keep cars for a long time, I'm thinking I'd be better of with a newer vehicle even if had more miles. Thoughts? Opinions?

ETP likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! we don't know, but many think age. in the case of a 2013, i don't think it matters. if you're going to keep it for 8 more years, you should be fine. all the best!(y)

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ours is a 2013 with 24K on the clock. I plan to keep it at least another five to six years, possibly longer. I live in a area where it is hot, but I am not afraid to push it on. If the battery fails, it fails. It is just part of the machine. In a traditional car, your concern would be transmission or other expensive item.

IMO, you live up north therefore your pack should outlast ours with no problem. Best of luck to you.

Xterra72 and bisco like this.
  4. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I will go with the MY 13 and make it until the end of time

5. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Unless I get enticed with Gen 4, plan on running my 2013 to the ground. No problems at 73K miles.

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Unlike others on this board, I am not very excited about the next generation Prius. I have looked at four different ones so far. A model two, two eco, three, and a four. About the only thing that I really liked was the side moldings I saw on some of them. I was really disappointed with the color schemes on the units that had the moonstone interior. The dash really looks odd with the half black, half moonstone look. Also what is really disappointing is the thing about the spare tire. If you want a spare, you have to settle for a two, or a three. And if you want the fancy cruise control which I think is called "dynamic cruise" you either have to get a "touring" or a three or higher with the ATP package. As strange as it may sound that item is just not available unless you order it here in Texas. Sure I can get one from Cali if I want to make a out of state purchase, but one would think you could find the same thing no matter where you are in the USA.

I did not waste my time driving any of them. Why should I if I can't find what I am looking for. For the time being I will continue to drive the 2013 I have. Maybe Toyota will see this post and think about this situation. Sure, I could go buy a full size spare, but that still doesn't help with the lack of models having the dynamic cruise.

There are other items I don't like about the new model, but the two things above is what is keeping me from pulling the trigger.

7. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So you're wondering if 2013 is too old for a Gen 3 based on age? You've only got two other years that are newer, 2014 and 2015. I really don't think one or two years of age will make any difference in your situation. And, I don't think there are any changes between 2013, 2014 and 2015, except maybe for the Persona models, so I'd go with the best value (dollars vs. miles vs. age) of any in the bunch. You already know that a Prius will go the distance, 200K miles plus, so find the best value in that range and go with it.

8. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i remember a few related threads on this very topic.
    remember to put proper spelling into your search.

#8 Former Member 68813, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  9. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I am real old and my batteries last.:ROFLMAO:

stormchaser likes this.
  10. CardiffChris

CardiffChris Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    II
    I just hit 210,000 on the original Battery.
    Still waiting to find out, I'll just keep driving.