1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does my Gen 3 package V have plasmacluster?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mad-dog-one, Apr 6, 2011.

1. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I recently read some posts that described plasmacluster as part of the A/C system in package IV and V Gen 3 Prii. This feature had escaped me until now. Does my Gen 3 package V Prius have plasmacluster? Some posts describe turning plasmacluster off and on. Other than the A/C switch, I am unaware of a switch for plasmacluster. Does this mean that my V does not have this feature?

2. billinmd

billinmd Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It should. If you look at the Climate Control system, you should see the text "Plasmacluster" written on it.

1 person likes this.
  3. billinmd

billinmd Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Page 278 in the manual. Plasmacluster will operate with the A/C fan motor, if equipped.

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    1 person likes this.
  5. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    According to the 2010 Prius brochure, the model IV and V have it standard. On my V, it says Plasmacluster just below the temp display (see pic below). There's no button, it works automatically--per the owners manual:
    Plasmacluster will operate in conjunction with the air conditioning fan motor when it is turned on.
    when it is turned on.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  6. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's the micro dust and pollen filter switch--per owners manual:
    Outside air mode switches to recirculated air mode. Pollen is removed
    from the air and the air flows to the upper part of the body.

7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    what da heel is a plasmacluster. sounds like something from star trek.

8. Chris2128

Chris2128 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ok guys wayy to much confusion here for me. 1st off all, the fan motor works even when you turn off the ac button. So will the plasmacluster still work? because I don't use the ac continuously. Yes mine does say plasmacluster on the display. As per manual it's supposed to ward off smells and odors too but I don't think it works very well because I can still smell bad odors sometimes on the highway and I have to turn the outside air off.
    Does the plasmacluster work only on closed circulation?
    Whats the other button with a "guy and a rectangle" ( the button between ac and mode) .
    My girlfriend is allergic to pollen so I wanna know what setting works best if she is in the car with me.

9. mad-dog-one

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you Paradox, stream, and billinmd. I have all of those things. I knew about the micro dust/pollen feature, but was completely unaware of the plasmacluster component. I never noticed the text under the temperature gauge and attribute that to watching the road while driving. I'm not new to the Prius, but keep learning new things about this techno-gadget. Thank you PriusChat for the enlightening and timely answers to my questions.

10. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Wow, I thought it only activated when the dust and pollen feature was activated. Well, if it is always on when the ac is on I can say IMO it doesn't do much... I drive in NYC and in the summer, even with ac on, I still get diesel odors like other cars I owned so it's not helping with that...

11. billinmd

billinmd Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The other thing to keep in mind is not to get the driver's side front vent wet. The manual says not to spray it as it may damage the plasmacluster components. Apparently this vent is where the positive and negative ions originate.

12. mad-dog-one

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----

Now that I know that my V has plasmacluster, I'm hoping for answers to the questions raised by Chris2128. Does plasmacluster work with the A/C off, when you push the + button between the A/C and Mode? Does it work with the A/C on, without pushing the + button? Does plasmacluster only work with closed circulation?

Thank you

13. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If my memory serves, it's always on. In fact, someone didn't like the fact that it's always on and wanted a way to turn it off. You can search for that thread.

14. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The Plasmacluster is an on demand ionizer that will operate when engaged for a short time and then turn it self off. As mentioned above it is the button between the mode and the A/C buttons. It is only in the drivers vents and operates in recirculation mode.

Here is the manufacture's web site.

SHARP

What's Plasmacluster Ion Technology ?

The crisp, refreshing air of the great outdoors (for example, in a forest) is clear and clean, and gives us an especially nice feeling. The reason for this is that there is a good balance of positive and negative ions in the air, that is, there are roughly the same number of each, and they are present in abundance. In the natural world, these positive and negative ions work to purify the air. But the quality of the air that most of us breathe is poor. It's often polluted and the number of ions it contains is low and the ratio of positive and negative ions is out of balance. To combat this problem, a new air cleaning technology, "Plasmacluster Ions," based on this natural air cleaning system is now available.

Mad Dog get your manual and go and press some buttons.

After Post Editing Addition, Sorry Mad Dog I am a confused in poorly informed idiot. I did go get my manual and I did push some buttons and I was confused I thought the Micro dust and pollen filter was the Plasmacluster.

1 person likes this.
  15. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's not what the owners manual says--see my 2 posts above. Where did you get that info?

16. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Are you talking about the plasmacluster? It's not supposed to help with odors.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And that's what confuses me. We already have a dust and pollen filter behind the glovebox. Someone mentioned that what this does is completely close the vent from outside (as opposed to the normal recirc button which only closes up to something like 80% so there's a small amount of fresh air still coming in)

It's an ionizer filter from Sharp. It sends out positve and negative ions that will attach to dust and other fine particles in the air and settle them down so that you won't breathe them in

Plasmacluster works with fine particles by attaching themselves to the particles and settling them down (So you will have to dust the car more often). Based on what the owner's manual says, it seems like it works when the A/C is running.

I thought it doesn't help with odour? Does it say that in the manual? Typically, if there are diesel odours, I press recirculate. In the Gen 3, I press the "Micro dust & pollen filter" button which seems to help get rid of the odour faster than normal recirculate.

Correct.

18. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Plasmacluster devices I have in my home have stated in literature they help eliminate odors and have odor sensors as well which change the fan speed. No charcoal or anything, plasmacluster is what they said eliminated odors, so I do not know what more to say...

Ok, googled a bit. They say some units have washable activated carbin filters which will help fight odors in the air. Our cars, and the ones in my home, do not have this filter. Then it says an ion generator will help to not only freshen your air, but deactivate contaminates in the air by releasing both positive and negative ions. So from that I would take it to mean the plasmacluster in the car does in fact help eliminate odors by 'deactivating contaminates in the air".

I thought I saw a Nissan commercial for that redone minivan they have saying how it has plasmacluster (or whatever they call theirs) which removes odors. So who knows... It is something I thought was cool to have but since it doesn't have a definitive on off button I have forgotten about it being in the car.

19. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Please Disregard.
    I was confused. Plasmacluster is always on maybe thats why I am so happy when I drive my Prius constantly being bombarded with happy ions?....

You are correct I was confusing the two systems Plasmacluster and micro dust and pollen filter and their operation and function.

So does that mean we have more than one filter in the HVAC system? One being the regular cabin air filter and the other being this possible HEPA type micro dust and pollen filter.

20. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Nope, same filter. The only difference is the percentage of outside air that is being mixed in with the recirculated air, and that with the micro dust and pollen button depressed, air flow is predominately out of the upper vents, towards your face.