1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does PC/Toyota Maintenance Package Save $$$?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by McKeeius, Apr 30, 2009.

1. McKeeius

McKeeius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I have snooped around the forums and I'm not really finding a clear answer to a nagging question. I have about 1500 miles and I am thinking ahead to my first oil change. I want to go by the book and get all my services "stamped" in the passport I think. I am not a do-it-yourselfer when it comes to car stuff. Basically I am wondering if the $875 or so is worth it for the pre-paid maintenance package.

How many oil changes and minor/major services are you getting in this package?

The dealership I bought my car at charges the following:
    $69.95 - 5k oil change
    $129.95 - 15k minor service
    $189.95 - 30k major service

Have any of you used the maintenance package and found it to be a money saving endeavor? It sounds like folks are just using coupons from dealer service departments.

2. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your freaking getting ripped off if you go to that dealer.

The 5k service is basically an oil change and tire rotation. IMO an oil change could cost no more then 30$.

I do not believe the 875$ is worth it.

Read your maintenance guide. It will tell you what your car needs. Then take what it tells you, and ask your service adviser how much for an XXXX.

Don't ask them for the "5000 mile service" - your just getting yourself ripped off - like many others.

Would you believe me if I told you that there's practically no difference between the 5k mile service and the 15k mile service?

The ONLY difference is that the guy has to eyeball (inspect) a few extra things.

From 5k to 25k, your basically required to do 3 things:
    Change the oil and oil filter.
    Rotate tires
    And check your brakes (which people have gone over 80k miles without needing new brakepads)

at 30k, your required to:
    change oil and oil filter
    rotate tires
    replace 2 air filters
    and INSPECT a list of other things.

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Bob is correct in both regards: The maintenance plan costs way more than you need to pay for maintenance, and dealers' packages for individual maintenance intervals often include stuff that's not on Toyota's list of recommended maintenance. They're both big profit items for the dealer. Also remember that if you buy the maintenance plan, you're locked into having it done at the dealer -- unless you want to pay double.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I also agree that you should pay a la carte only for the services that you need. BTW, tire rotation is not mandatory. If you have to pay for rotation, it is questionable whether the service is cost-effective. If you don't rotate you'll have to buy two tires at a time, fairly frequently. If you do rotate then you'll have to buy four tires at a time at less frequent intervals. Up to you...

5. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tire rotation does save you some money... if you know a place that rotates them for free. Then you can do the buy-4-tires, get 1 free deals out there.

6. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $189 for 30 k service! I was just charge $289,, with no Cabin air filter,, but did include tire rotation and one flat repair (I posted on another thread!) DON'T BUY THE SERVICE PACKAGE!!! Find a GOOD independent shop to do the 5k service and give a looksee as needed.

Icarus

7. McKeeius

McKeeius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Okay I get what you guys are puttin down.

Anyone want to recommend me a decent independent mechanic for prius in the bay area?

Follow up question:
    I'm on 1500 or so, on the ODO.

What kind of a la carte items should I order off the menu for my every 5k and at what, if any, other intervals (15/30k?) do I need to order some serious entrees?

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't give up on dealers. Mine now charges $20 to do the items in the Scheduled Maintenance Guide when I provide the oil. You probably will have to tell them firmly to do only those things and nothing else.

You might also try the Car Talk section of cars.com for shop recommendations.