1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does PiP offer livelier 'normal' acceleration?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by cycledrum, Jan 21, 2012.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Since the PiP has same system HP as 3rd gen but weighs more, is accleleration a little more leisurely than 3rd gen, or goes increased electric drive give more oomph from stop?

Just curious since Leaf is known to be peppy off the line (I know PiP and Leaf totally different).

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I can see how the increased charge can offset the increased weight of the battery during acceleration. However, that would only be as long as there is charge for EV mode. Once in hybrid mode with regular Prius level of charge, the car will be carrying extra, some would call dead, weight of the larger pack. There is a potential of a noticable difference in acceleration depending of battery charge. Ghosts of turtle mode if you will.
    Toyota learned enough between gen1 and gen2 to prevent, so I don't expect that.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Only 123 pounds more makes that quite unlikely. That's less than the weight of just one passenger.

When it comes to EV though, that will indeed be different. You get quite a bit more electric acceleration power from that.

Will it be livelier? Not sure how to answer that. No frame of reference. When I drop the pedal for "brisk" acceleration, the engine briefly revs to 3500 RPM. That shots me out in from of typical traffic around here, while taking advantage of engine efficiency. I suspect I won't do that when EV is available though. Climbing a steep local hill from a stop to 40 MPH then continuing up without the engine ever starting sure was fun with the early model PHV.

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I drove the 2012 model which was a pre-production unit in SF last September. Basically, for all intensive purposes, it was a near production unit; Nothing like the demo car I had in 2010. It was 'brisker' in EV mode and in HV mode I felt like I was driving my 2010. I did notice, only I think because I was paying attention for it, the extra weight in the rear when going over a speed bump at low speed. Not that it bottomed out or anything, but I was able to feel it compared to the way my 2010 would 'bounce' hitting a speed bump at similar speeds.

1 person likes this.
  5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have a very focused question to ask from here, but I sometimes think about how Toyota might balance power with efficiency in the future.