1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does rain improve gas milleage?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by burritos, Sep 22, 2007.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Apologies if this has already been discussed. Intuitively the friction of rain hitting the car and water on the ground if anything diminishes fuel efficiency. However, when there's rain, people drive slower. On the highway if it's raining pretty hard, the speed goes into the sweet spot which is 40-50 mph. This improves the fuel efficiency. On a 50 mi trip, I noticed that the mpg was 47 cause we were flying at 70 mph. On the way back, there was a strong downpour slowing the traffic to the 40-50's mph. The final mpg was 51.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Sep 22 2007, 02:40 PM) [snapback]516261[/snapback]</div>
    No, rain definately has a negative impact. There was probably a strong tail wind plus the slower speeds will definately help you. But all other conditions being equal rain will negatively impact FE.
    http://privatenrg.com/RainyRoad.htm#How_about_Rain

3. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Burritos,

High Humidity, cloud covered dry conditions tend to improve fuel economy. If you had any of that during your trip and then it started to rain, that could be a partial explaination.

Humidity reduces the air density, and results in less air drag.

Rain definately decreases fuel economy. Especially if the rain is blowing into the radiator. Besides resulting in more fuel burn to keep the engine warm, the tires act like pumps to push the water aside. This increases rolling resistance at highway speeds due to the dynamic forces of the pumping actions.

4. oms2burn

oms2burn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I recently experience similar results to Burritos. I chalked it up to less friction (tires slip, so therefore less friction). In retrospect, the tires pumping the water makes more sense. I suspect it just slowed me (and others) down just enough to help gas mileage. Interesting thread.

5. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 22 2007, 02:46 PM) [snapback]516262[/snapback]</div>
    Right but is your gas mileage better going at 70 mph in perfect conditions or 45 mph in rain.(on the same road)?

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Sep 22 2007, 06:56 PM) [snapback]516350[/snapback]</div>
    Go to the link I provided above, download the Prius Simulator for Windows and drop in the numbers. I suspect the 45 will be a bit better, but probably not a lot.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Sep 22 2007, 07:56 PM) [snapback]516350[/snapback]</div>
    Your logic is correct that there will be some horrible differential equation describing the mileage sweat spot in relation to rain and speed. There is no one simple answer. Driving slowly in rain will yield better mileage than really fast in dry conditions. Exactly where the cross-over occurs depends on the road, tires, temperature, wind, and the amount of rain. It wouldn't surprise me for you to get better mileage at 45 in the rain than 70 in dry conditions, at least in some conditions.

Tom

8. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Sep 22 2007, 04:19 PM) [snapback]516268[/snapback]</div>
    Are you sure about that? I haven't checked out the link yet, but I will once I've posted. Intuition tells me that humidity is more water in the air and water is heavier than air. So wouldn't that mean that the air is more dense and in result have more wind resistance on the car?

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not just the gas mileage we have to worry about. Apparently, rain can get in the engine and really screw things up. :angry:

10. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Oct 4 2007, 08:21 AM) [snapback]521174[/snapback]</div>
    Oh oh...