1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does removing stock plastic wheel rings reduce MPG efficiency?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by quixotequest, Jul 25, 2007.

1. quixotequest

quixotequest New Member

Prius newbie here. Forgive if asked before but can't locate via a Search:

Does removing the stock plastic wheel rings reduce MPGs? I was cleaning my wheels after picking up my car on Saturday and pulled off the rings to get to the brake dust underneath. Decided the wheels look better with rings removed, so never put them back on. Also found out many on the forum here feel the same.

Anyway, still don't like the look of the stock wheels. The design of the spokes, as well as the large rear flank of the car makes 15" wheels look smaller than what they really are. Would also like to go up to a 205 width in 16" or 17" diameter in order to improve wet traction and freeway handling while still staying with a higher mileage rated, less rolling resistant tire. (Understanding I am not going to drive this car hard, I also like being able to trade up to a more sporty looking, better visually sized wheel for the car's design.) So I'm out yesterday having my tire shop put some different rims on the car to see what I like and he comments on that I've removed the wheel rings from my car. He says, "Has your mileage suffered as a result of that?"

I told him I hadn't had the car long enough to notice, but wondered why it would even matter. He said the rings reduce air resistance accumulating inside the wheel, thus reducing efficiency by 1-3MPG. Therefore, if I switch to a better tire, I should plan on losing some mileage because I'm trading up to a wider and bigger wheel/tire, but also because the ring will no longer be there. (Of course how much mileage I'll lose is not clear.)

I'm amazed. Has anyone whose removed their stock rings noticed a difference in MPG performance? Is this real or was I in Prius bizarro world yesterday?

2. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(quixotequest @ Jul 25 2007, 03:54 PM) [snapback]484894[/snapback]</div>
    My answer would be No to it reducing MPG, I think their purpose is to make the wheels appear bigger.
    I just took mine off about 1000 miles ago, (put about 8500 on with the rings) and I haven't really seen any noticable changes whatsoever.

As far as the other mods you discussed, the 205 width tire will reduce your mileage probably a good 5 - 10 %. As far as larger rims, they may also cut into the mileage based on what type of materials they are manufactured with because of the added weight.

I do agree with you though the wheels are just ok looking. And they look better without the rings.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The rings will reduce "paddle wheel" drag effects, but the results are minimal. You are going to take a much bigger hit moving up to larger tires.

Tom

4. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I heard someone quote "1/4 mpg" loss for removing the beauty rims, which I can believe. I like the description paddle wheel effect, which I had not seen used before.

I also believe that adding the racing hubcaps like "The Force" and others have done can add 1.5 to 2 MPG, but I figured:

15,000 miles/year / 50 MPG = 300 gallons per year.

15,000 miles/year / 52 MPG = 288.5 gallons per yaar, or 11.5 gallons less.

Assuming gas goes up to $4 per gallon, that is $46 per year, so the $80 hub caps would pay for themselves in a little less than 2 years IF! they actually increased MPG by 2.

My real hold backs are:
    1. I don't think I would like removing the wheel covers to check tire pressure, but I could probably drill little holes and extend the valve stems for maybe another 1/2 year of the resluting feul savings.

2. No offense at all to those who already have these, but I am just not sure if for me, I actually like the looks better than the factory rims.

I am almost tempted to give um a try, just because $80 is not that much money.

5. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Jul 26 2007, 01:53 AM) [snapback]485297[/snapback]</div>
    Could you provide a link for these "The Force" wheel covers, I would love to see what they look like.

6. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Jul 26 2007, 12:53 AM) [snapback]485297[/snapback]</div>
    I'm thinking of doing the same (drilling holes) should I ever get those mooncaps.
    But then I wonder if even a little hole would throw the wheel balancing off.

Popping off the entire rim to check air pressure once in a while doesn't seem to be that big a deal.
    Especially if you have a rim popping tool handy and a 12V pump so that you can do it anytime anywhere.
    I've bought one of those pumps at Target for $15. Its main use is for my fleet of bicycles, but I keep it
    and the rim tool in the trunk always just in case.

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Jul 26 2007, 03:23 PM) [snapback]485297[/snapback]</div>
    Was it sluted before?

I agree with what your saying NoMo, the payback isn't worth the expense but how good does it look? I love the look. It screams low consumption and land speed record to me.

(and if it means more sluts, well why not?) Hope I'm not offending anyone, mean't as a joke.

8. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Jul 27 2007, 04:47 AM) [snapback]486022[/snapback]</div>
    The Force is a Priuschat member who bought the hubcaps from HubcapMike.com. Or more specifically, Classic Car Wheelcovers

Check out This Thread where The Force describes how to install the screw on version of these hubcaps to the beauty rings with pop rivets, and there are more pictures of the beautiful Red Prius there.

[attachmentid=10210]

Drilling out a hole for the valve stem would very slightly effect ballance, but would be offset by adding a longer valve stem extension. the difference would be minute, but would be taken care of the next time you got your wheels ballanced.

Attached Files:

9. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Jul 28 2007, 03:04 AM) [snapback]486605[/snapback]</div>
    thanks, those actually look sort of tight, what type of reactions do you normally get as they really stand out.

10. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Jul 28 2007, 06:02 PM) [snapback]486869[/snapback]</div>
    They are not on my car. You need to Check out This Thread where TheForce describes some reaction, how to install the screw on version of these hubcaps to the beauty rings with pop rivets, and there are more pictures of the beautiful Red Prius there.

You can probably also PM TheForce directly to ask about the reactions he gets.