1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does Resale Value Change if Transaxle Has Been Replaced?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by shirls8, Feb 21, 2011.

1. shirls8

shirls8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We own a 2006 Prius with 105k miles. The transaxle died and we had a new one put in. I'd like to sell it and was wondering if anyone knows if the car is worth more or less than Kelly Blue Book now that there is a new transaxle in it?

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome!

I do not think it would decrease or increase the resell value, since it's expected to work.

3. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Kelly Blue Book is just a starting point, but yes it's worth more with new parts. And with the gas prices going up daily, your Prius is also going up in value as its demand increases.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Welcome !
    :welcome:

Do you meant the CVT ??
    The prius doesn't actually have a true transaxle. Presuming CVT (continuously variable transaxle) ... what exactly died in it? There are several major components. Here's a great example:

Your avatar shows San Francisco? In CA, I believe the hybrid components are waranteed to 150K miles . . . but it wouldn't be the 1st time I was wrong. But no, generally, replacement of old stuff for new does not detract from resale.

5. shirls8

shirls8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I honestly don't know. The dealer told us it was the Hybrid Transaxle that stopped working and needed to be replaced. We asked about warranty but he said that this part was only under warranty up to 60,000 miles. He said he "checked everything" but it just wasn't covered. Toyota quoted $5700 so we took it to a different shop. Still ended up around $5K :mad:

6. shirls8

shirls8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone for the advice and the warm welcome. I'll check around to see what folks are selling their 2006's for. Love my car but wouldn't mind getting a brand new one :)

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's hard to say. One person might say that if you spent $5K on replacing this major drivetrain component, then the car should have more value.

Another might say, what did you do to your car so that the transaxle failed and had to be replaced, and what does this imply regarding the longevity of other hybrid components such as the inverter and traction battery?

On balance, I would say that the value probably isn't going to change much, vs. if the transaxle hadn't been replaced.

KBB shows trade-in value for a 2006 Prius with 105K miles in the SF Bay Area, and in good condition to be $7.5K. Private party value for that car is $9.2K.
    http://www.kbb.com/used-cars/toyota...condition=good&category=hybrid&mileage=105000

Whether KBB is a good valuation guide or not remains to be seen. You may find that the values are optimistic, good luck with your sale.

8. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Interesting because in that video you posted, the guy even says Prius transaxle.