1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the cigarette lighter outlet drain the battery when the car is turned off?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Jakov Glavina, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Jakov Glavina

Jakov Glavina Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

this is basically a simple question, but I haven't been able to find a concrete answer to this question. I have two gen 2 Priuses (2007 and 2009) and I have one of those FM Radio Bluetooth-enabled transmitters that plug in one of the two available cigarette lighter power outlets. My question is: if I leave the FM radio transmitter plugged in when I finish driving, does the fact that its plugged in drain the car's battery when the car is fully turned off? Do the cigarette lighter outlets even have power when the car is turned off? Ideally I would like to leave the transmitter plugged in at all times just for convenience sake, but if there are any downsides to this, I need to know cause I wouldnt want to have my battery empty when trying to start the car or anything of that sort :D

Thanks in advance

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Power outlets are off when Prius is off. So no. You can just leave them plugged in. Unless somebody has modified the outlets to be on all the time.

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ... which you can verify quite easily with a voltmeter.

Jakov Glavina and jerrymildred like this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    or any 12V device with the right plug

That said, I have an LED volt meter plugged into one of my 12V sockets all the time. It's blank when the car is off.

Jakov Glavina and valde3 like this.