1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DOES the engine also charge the traction battery?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by bluebaby, Feb 18, 2008.

1. bluebaby

bluebaby New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OK, we've had our new Prius for five days. Started with a nice road trip. We watched the display - mostly the 5 min interval average MGP, but also four tire/engine/electric motor/traction battery display. Seem to be following what happens EXCEPT for when the engine is powering BOTH the tires AND the traction battery. How is this possible? Isn't it inefficient? I see that yellow arrow pumping backwards and just don't get it. Can anyone explain?:confused:

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yep, the ICE (engine) charges the traction battery, the traction battery charges the 12v battery...all the power ultimately comes from gas.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Part of the power from the internal combustion engine (ICE) goes directly to the tires, and part of it is routed through the two motor generators (MG1 & MG2). Note that I said TWO MGs; the MFD display only shows one. The amount of power routed through the MGs in relation to the direct power is what determines the effective gear ratio, since the Prius lacks an ordinary transmission. The high voltage battery (HV) serves as both a temporary storage place for excess electricity and as a reservoir for added power from the MGs. When it needs to be charged, some of the energy from the ICE is used for charging. Even when it's not being charged you will see a small amount of current flowing back and forth between the MGs and the HV battery. The short answer to your question is that, yes, it's inefficient, but not as inefficient as an ordinary transmission. If you can figure out how to drive without speeding up, slowing down, or climbing hills, then you can do away with energy wasting transmissions.

Tom