1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the engine spin...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Winston, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Like when you are in a parking lot going very very slow. Does the engine spin?

In other words, can you move the car if there is no engine oil in it? Like maybe a few feet? Is the engine oil used to lubricate the bearings of the motor?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No, the engine doesn't spin when moving at slow speeds on electric only (EV mode). There is a speed limit after which the engine has to turn over to keep from over speeding MG1. I forget the exact speed, but it is somewhere in the mid forties. Above that limit, the engine spins, but there is no fuel or spark. Engine oil is used for lubrication whenever the engine (ICE) is spinning. When the ICE starts, it is first brought up to speed by the electric motors. Fuel and spark are enabled after the oil pressure stabilizes.

A quick search on this forum will reveal lots of good information about how the Prius works. It's well worth the time to do some reading.

Tom

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If you are thinking of moving the car with no engine oil in it, DON'T DO IT! You cannot control when the ICE runs. If you want to drain the oil and put more back in somewhere else, the only way I know of is to put the wheels on little carts and push it. NEVER turn the car "ON" with no oil in the engine!

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Winston @ Jul 2 2007, 02:36 PM) [snapback]471690[/snapback]</div>
    Move the car? Sure, you can leave it OFF and drag it a few feet. Or do you mean turn the car ON and run it? To paraphrase David, hell no. Why do you want to do this?

5. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Odd story really.

I pulled the car into my garage and drove it up a couple 2x4's to give me a little clearance to change the oil. So, I drained the oil, changed the filter. Then I was unable to open the hood because I have a couple bikes hanging above the hood. So, I turned on the car, turned on the EV switch and backed the car up a few feet so I could open the hood. I only moved the car a few feet, but then I started panicing about the oil system. Either way I am sure it is fine. I just wanted to learn a bit more about the lube system.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The ICE oil is completely contained within the ICE. The lubrication/coolant for the rest of the system is seperate. Since you used the EV button and the ICE never started it shouldn't be an issue. But I agree, this isn't one of those things you want to do again, sometimes the EV button doesn't work, you could accidently kick it out of EV mode, etc. and bad things would happen.

FWIW, MG1 will exceed 10k RPM at around 64mph. I've hit 63 in neutral and was at around 9400rpm on MG1 (ICE off... ZERO rpm). I do not know if there is a computer override that will kick you out of neutral at the point you'd hit 10k rpm or if something bad would happen, and destroy the CVT and MG1 or something.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hmmm...I missed the important part of the OP's post. I agree with the rest: don't move it without it moving on its own, or put it on a dolly.

Tom

8. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the feedback. The oil was changed at 2400 miles. (total miles on car) I am doing an oil analysis on it. I will post the results. Should take about a week.

9. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    One important note: if the engine is cold, it may start to warm itself up even in EV mode.

10. silver-machine

silver-machine New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alanh @ Jul 6 2007, 02:54 PM) [snapback]474195[/snapback]</div>
    I would agree with other posters , and wouldn't risk the ICE not starting in EV mode. The ICE can sometimes kick in quickly partiulalrly when it is cold, or when going up any kind of hill in EV.