1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the LE require an Old-School Key???

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by priusmouse, Dec 16, 2022.

1. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I was going through the details, having planned on getting an LE, and noticed that the remote key system is not available on the LE trim.

“Smart Key System on front doors and trunk with Push Button Start, remote keyless entry system with lock, unlock and panic functions”

This system specifically it says is NOT an option for the LE

does this mean I will have to manually push a button on the remote every time I want to unlock the vehicle? Or does it mean that there will not BE a remote? What’s the deal here? Also, will the car not automatically lock after I walk away if I get the LE?

#1 priusmouse, Dec 16, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2022
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don’t think they’ve ever done that?

I believe it’s: LE has fob like all the others, push button start, but not 3-door touch to unlock. But maybe touch to unlock for driver’s door only?

#2 Mendel Leisk, Dec 17, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2022
  3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    You’ve quoted from the specifications for model year 2023 (fifth-generation) Prius cars, but this is posted in the fourth-generation forum.

For model year 2022, the LE grade, among others, has “Smart Key System on driver's door with Push Button Start,” but higher grades have “Smart Key System on three doors with Push Button Start and remote illuminated entry” (emphasis added). You always get two electronic keys (remotes or key fobs) that you can use to lock or unlock the car by pressing a button. The main difference is that on lower grades, only the driver’s door has the electronics to allow you to walk up with the key in a bag or pocket and unlock the door just by pulling on the handle, while the higher grades have this also on the front passenger door and back door (hatch).

Specifications do change, so if these features are important to you, I’d encourage you to confirm that they’re present on actual car you’re planning to buy.

Tideland Prius and FuelMiser like this.
  4. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Oops dangit

5. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, it's a matter of cost and logistics.

While the original cars like the Prius c, Corolla, and Camry used existing steering columns originally design for physical mechanical keys, the newly designed Gen 5 Prius and all new offerings using newly designed steering columns will not have physical keys in even the base model.

It saves on design, mold and OEM and replacement parts costs and other logistics.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    *Moved to Gen 5 forum*

Mendel Leisk likes this.