1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the Model V really get 2 MPG less?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by TheHorsts, Jun 26, 2009.

1. TheHorsts

TheHorsts Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does the Model V really get about 2 MPG less?

This seems to be an accepted fact on this forum, but its really hard to tell based any of the numbers people are reporting. The mileage people are experiencing varies widely and doesn't seem to be easily correlated to the model they are driving.

Is this 2-3 MPG penalty based on any testing?

Thanks.

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The only "official" numbers I've heard of are on a UK Prius spec sheet (provided by another member--I've included it below).

For combined fuel consumption, the 17" wheel car gets 2.5% lower mileage (70.6 vs. 72.4).

2.5% of the combined EPA MPG of 50 is 1 MPG.

Honestly (he leads with his chin here... :D) 2.5 % is a rounding error. Lots of other minor things that can have more of an effect on consumption. It wasn't even a consideration in my decision to get a Prius V. I suspect I may be in the minority here, though... ;)

Attached Files:

3. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

You can probably line up 10 random drivers with different levels from this forum and run a 50 mile test and none of them will be within 1 mpg of each other. 1 mpg less in 1 year of 12,000 miles of driving doesn't amount to 5 gallons of gas

4. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's literally a rounding error. The calculations are done in L/100km and rounded to 0.1L. All other countries in Europe use only the metric figure, we've botched our metric conversion so convert that figure to miles per (imperial) gallon for advertising purposes.

When you're down at 3.9L/100km, 0.1L is a surprisingly large percentage.

We still measure distance travelled in miles, and all signage is in miles, yards, feet and miles per hour, but we buy petrol in litres. Neither unit advertised makes any intuitive sense.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    2mpg is what ... maybe 4% ??
    In statistics jargon that means "it's about the same"

But it's pretty much a given, if/when you put bigger tire/wheel arrangements on a car (or the opposite ... smaller) you will affect mpg accordingly.

6. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I think driving style can make for much worse MPG's than getting a II through IV versus a V... I had a 2006 before my 2010 and even with having a 2010 Prius V I am still doing better than my old 2006 so I am very pleased with it. I think the 17's really make the car 'eye candy' compared to those with the 15'. No disrespect to the 15's but the 17's imo really do make the car look gorgeous.

7. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This accepted fact had its origins in a page from the chief engineers notebook, shown at the Detroit Prius Connection event, which appeared to indicate lower MPG for the 17" versus 15" tires, based on Toyota's own testing.

8. Redbaron43

Redbaron43 New Member

Model:
    V
    I Have a Prius V looking foward to taking so pictures. Prius is new to me I average 54 to 55 miles to a gallon. I guess it would be easier if we posted enough numbers between 15 and 17 in tires. To get an average we can better understand. I am happy with 50mpg or more thats why I bought the car!

9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Just like with the GII Prius, it's a tradeoff between tire traction (a 17" tire has a larger contact patch) and mileage. With the GII you also got shorter braking distances with the larger (16") wheels due to the better traction and I suspect that also applies to the GIII with 17" wheels.
    The 17" wheel/tire combo is probably also a bit heavier, so you might get a little rougher ride. Most people wouldn't notice. Enthusiasts do.

10. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

??? I don't understand.unless you're in a panic stop and your ABS isn't working the wheels should not lose traction in a stop.

However if you simply mean it stops from 60mph in say 170 feet rather than 180 feet due to better traction then I'm till not sure how that would significantly affect regen.

Since most people trying to get regen while braking never really push the tires to their limit, then only under hard brakeing would you see any difference in stopping distances. And how often does that happen?

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think he meant hard braking. You get more contact patch on the road but I don't believe the disc rotors are any difference in size so it might be worse with the 17" because there's more weight?? Without ABS, yes the 17" alloys will give more traction because they're wider.

12. GreenWithEnvy

GreenWithEnvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I drove a package III vs. V Wednesday night just to see if I could tell the difference between the 15 vs. 17 tires. Of course there are other things that affect the ride, but the V had a noticably stiffer ride. I'm not a car enthusiast or anything. Tighter in the corners, a little sportier feeling than the III. I actually liked the smoother ride of the III...I am not going for a sportscar...but my husband voted for the V and I suppose I should let him have a say at something.

13. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well that's about all I figured made sense as far as traction and stopping distance. But I don't see how that is going to affect regen unless it's they way one drives all the time. We all know that anticipating a stop and doing it gradually with the brakes transfers energy to the battery and if yout do it anywhere close to less than panic stops then it really doesn't matter if I have 17" or 15" wheels. From the moment I decide to stop at a light and apply my brakes, I'll have the same stopping distance regardless of my wheels.

14. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The better stopping distance was obtained by testers. They lay on the brakes full power, on a smooth test track. Here the contact patch size is everything, along with the tire compound. It's not a real world test, but a test just the same, with results they can print and brag about. Real world testing is much more difficult and requires more intelligence, something lacking in car magazines.

Regen has nothing to do with braking distance. It's for those of us who drive efficiently. :)

15. ScarGo

ScarGo Common Sense Conservative

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, by the Toyota engineers. However, the questions you need to ask yourself are:

1) Will I notice the tighter steering in the V over the other packages and does it matter to me? 3.75 turns lock to lock vs. 2.75

2) Am I willing to put up with the stiffer feel of the low profile tires and the louder tire noise?

3) Come winter (for those of us up north) since the V comes with a Summer performance tire, will I be willing to put on snows if deemed necessary?

The answer for us was that we were willing to take the slight penalty in fuel mileage for better handling. :)

16. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    AND 17" tires are quite a bit more expensive than 15" tires. Especially considering the small number of fuel efficienct tires available.

17. ScarGo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

That's funny, My wife liked the V and I thought the better value was the III. I appreciate the quiet ride and don't mind the slower steering. She has been driving a Honda Civic Hybrid, which (she thought) handles better than the III. :)

18. ScarGo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Forgot that one! Yes, much less of a selection in replacement tires and more expensive to boot...:eek:

19. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I undertand now. You really didn't meant this comment to have anything to do with the thread, which is does the 17" tires cost you 2 mpg. I couldn't figure out the relationship

20. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Actually there is a wide selection of tires in this size, some reasonably priced (although not as cheap as 15"). Not sure they are low rolling resistance, but many have a 400+ tread wear rating.